is it possible to live in thailand as long as you like this....

Hi I have a question as I know that some use loopholes and try to game the thai government.  I also know the rules are always changing for visas etc.

I know this guy who is living in thailand for very long time on a tourist visa.  He just keep doing border run and re new over and over again.

Is there a limit on how long he can do this??  Sounds like he is taking advantage of the system

Edited by urbanmoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, urbanmoe said:

I know this guy who is living in thailand for very long time on a tourist visa.  He just keep doing border run and re new over and over again.

Is there a limit on how long he can do this??

I tend to believe that (so far) the guy has been able to do this. In the past, it was pretty easy. In the last few years, it has become increasingly difficult, but some are still succeeding. Those old enough not to be suspected of illegal working have the best chance.

Certain nationalities are treated more leniently by immigration. With no hard limits prescribed by law, each consulate, airport and border crossing is free to decide what they consider acceptable and unacceptable. Getting many single entry tourist visas means spreading the applications over different, friendly consulates. For those still of working age, using land border crossings (and selecting them carefully) is essential once someone has been doing this for over a year or so.

Frankly, while some still succeed, it requires careful understanding of all the local rules in the locations you apply for visas, and then reenter Thailand. Especially for those who are younger, the odds are not good that they can continue indefinitely as rules become stricter pretty much everywhere.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, urbanmoe said:

Hi I have a question as I know that some use loopholes and try to game the thai government.  I also know the rules are always changing for visas etc.

Is there a limit on how long he can do this??  Sounds like he is taking advantage of the system

Edited 3 hours ago by urbanmoe

• It is possible to live in Thailand as a 'tourist', but the Thai authorities are making it harder.
  • There is no published limit on how long you can stay in Thailand as a tourist, which is the loophole that people take advantage of. 
  • Tourist visas and the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme are meant for visitors that want to stay short term and return to their country of residence. Not to live in the country. 
  • The number of Tourist Visas one can have is limited at the Embassies/Consulates in countries neighbouring Thailand, land border hops are now limited to 2 per year, and ultimately the decision and power is with the border IO's.

It shouldn't be relied upon as a long term way to live in the country because the authorities could impose further restrictions if significant numbers continue to "game" the system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

Read my post above, nobody is using loopholes (where are the loopholes?) and nobody is gaming the system (how exactly?) 

As long as Embassy's keep issuing the visas and Immigration let you enter the country on these visas then you are free to continue using these visas as long as you want or until Immigration decide you may have been here to long using this method and question you, the chances of being refused entry on a Tourist Visa are very low as long as you meet the Immigration requirements for entry, you can be using this method for years before this happens

There is only people like you who use words like loopholes (your favourite word) and gaming the system when in reality none of these happen, this is because as long as visas get issued and Immigration let you in no loopholes have been exploited and no gaming of the system has taken place

It is Embassy's and Immigration who decide not posters on Thai Visa, no matter how much of a Immigration expert they think they are or somehow think they are better than those who use Tourist Visas in order stay here for a while

all of that is true; i doubt anyone here is criticizing your's and anyone else's approach; most/many/all of us are merely responding to what we perceive the current environment to be;

at the very highest level, the thai 'attitudes' are changing , so our information to you and others is changing in the hopes of matching those changes

19 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

current environment is not conducive to that ,do not recommend, there are enough other avenues

Yet people are still able to get TV's. Rules are rules at the moment advise on here is sometimes not the current rules just percived rules.

If Thailand was to stop issuing TV which will never happen then so be it. They may well in the future apply some sort of across the board apply a so many TV per year. But they dont now.

Edited by jeab1980

21 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Read my post above, nobody is using loopholes (where are the loopholes?) and nobody is gaming the system (how exactly?) 

As long as Embassy's keep issuing the visas and Immigration let you enter the country on these visas then you are free to continue using these visas as long as you want or until Immigration decide you may have been here to long using this method and question you, the chances of being refused entry on a Tourist Visa are very low as long as you meet the Immigration requirements for entry, you can be using this method for years before this happens

There is only people like you who use words like loopholes (your favourite word) and gaming the system when in reality none of these happen, this is because as long as visas get issued and Immigration let you in no loopholes have been exploited and no gaming of the system has taken place

It is Embassy's and Immigration who decide not posters on Thai Visa, no matter how much of a Immigration expert they think they are or somehow think they are better than those who use Tourist Visas in order stay here for a while

You both have valid points and I understand your emotion.  This can be an emotional issue. But I also think elviajero has good advice and observation and is an expert on the immigration rules.  Until a definite answer happens no one can quote the "law of the day" but for me it is too risky IMO to try to live anywhere in the world on tourist visas and visa runs. But up to you.

I have no personal criticism or problem with tourist runs and I have a friend that lives here for years using tourist and education visas.  But I also see how nervous he gets every 90 days now and that is the concern - not being allowed back into Thailand even though you have a valid visa and 20k baht in your pocket and a condo full of belongings.  

Edited by Wake Up

Why wouldn't you just approach the guy if you wanted to know his strategy and you'd like to use it yourself?

Why wouldn't you think to mind your own business instead of gabbing about somebody else's personal activities in the privacy of a open internet forum first?

A fly cannot enter a closed mouth.

• Like 1

You are paying money for a TV, there is no limit to back to back Visas.

It is how to do it correctly.  If they see you are being a good citizen like not overstaying your Visa and properly leaving the Kingdom before the expiration date you can apply for a new TV as much as you want.  You will only get denied if they suspect you are working illegally.

doesn't sound like he is gaming anything and i don't see that they are loopholes. i know plenty of people that do it. it's cheaper than getting elite visas and they like staying here so continue to use the tourist visa route then that is up to them. some people have cash flow from rental properties abroad or are just loaded so have no intention of working here but choose to live here and why pay more for a visa than you need to. by the way, why would you care how they sort their visa. were you looking to try to get the person into trouble and just found out you can't?

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

doesn't sound like he is gaming anything and i don't see that they are loopholes. i know plenty of people that do it. it's cheaper than getting elite visas and they like staying here so continue to use the tourist visa route then that is up to them. some people have cash flow from rental properties abroad or are just loaded so have no intention of working here but choose to live here and why pay more for a visa than you need to. by the way, why would you care how they sort their visa. were you looking to try to get the person into trouble and just found out you can't?

What is the actual cost of a visa run? If you stay 20 years you might come close to the THB 1M of the Elite visa, which, in theory, gives you much greater comfort. I say in theory because I can't trust the Thais; if you read the fine print, they may discontinue their part of the deal and run away with my money.

As i stated previously people can choose there own desired way to stay here in Thailand. Some go for Extensions. Some Non O's some TV/Exempt/Ed. However they choose to stay here is there choice. They none of the above are gaming any system or using loopholes. They are using legitamate ways given to them by the Thailand Immigration Laws. Its not down to any forum members to say what is allowed That is Thai Immigrations Department. There Laws can be quoted as per there requirements ect. But must be quoted word for word with no personal addons.

39 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

What is the actual cost of a visa run? If you stay 20 years you might come close to the THB 1M of the Elite visa, which, in theory, gives you much greater comfort. I say in theory because I can't trust the Thais; if you read the fine print, they may discontinue their part of the deal and run away with my money.

I think it works out at 100k a year which is fine but as far as I know you need to do for at least 5 years. Who knows what's going to happen next year or the year after? I can understand why people use other visas as they may choose to leave Thailand after a couple of years for whatever reason and then would be out of pocket. Not sure how much visa runs are but I'd imagine pretty cheap and little inconvenience especially if you enjoy weekend breaks away around the region 

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

I think it works out at 100k a year which is fine but as far as I know you need to do for at least 5 years. 

There is a 20 years option for THB 1M, which is 50k a years. Easy to spend this on visas runs. But as you wrote it implies some commitment.

• Like 1