President Trump said on Wednesday evening that the United States would launch what he called the “most crushing economic operation” against Iran, as negotiations continue aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a key oil shipping route that has been largely shut since early March.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump described the move as economic warfare and isolation on an “unprecedented” scale. He said the US would impose “tremendous economic consequences” on any country that provides Iran with a lifeline.
Trump also warned that a range of channels used to support Tehran must stop, naming oil smuggling, swap arrangements, cash transfers, exchange houses, ship registries and front companies. He added that “all of our Allies” should stand with the US to isolate and defeat what he termed the Iran threat.
US Pledges Economic Pressure And Isolation
The announcement builds on warnings from within the administration. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said last week that the US would seek to increase economic pressure on Tehran in order to reopen the strait.
On Thursday, Bessent told Newsmax’s Rob Schmitt Tonight that Trump had ordered the Treasury Department to apply maximum pressure on the Iranian regime. He said it would involve economic isolation alongside the continuation of the blockade in the Strait of Hormuz, aimed at preventing goods entering or leaving Iranian ports.
Trump has previously indicated he intends to intensify sanctions and maintain enforcement of a US naval blockade in the Arabian Sea, which he said would prevent vessels from departing Iranian ports.
Talks Continue On Reopening The Strait
Trump’s comments come while talks are under way to reopen the strait. Shipping activity has picked up slightly but remains limited compared with pre-war levels. Ship-tracking firm Kpler reported that there were 12 successful crossings on Monday and 10 on Tuesday.
The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important maritime passages for oil. Since early March, the route has been effectively closed, though some traffic continues to pass through.
Regional Shifts Follow Missile Strike
Trump’s announcement followed a statement from the United Arab Emirates on Thursday that it would cut off trade with Iran after Tehran’s forces fired two missiles at the UAE.
The US president has also criticised Oman earlier this week, warning Muscat that it would face retaliation if it “gets in the way” of efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. Trump threatened to bomb Oman and framed his remarks around the ongoing negotiations.
US Territory Bid For The Strait
Trump also said last week that he would declare the strait a US territory. In his latest remarks, he signalled the goal again but did not set out how the US would achieve it, given that the waterway is under shared jurisdiction between Oman and Iran.

20 August 2026
Recommended Comments
Create an account or sign in to comment