Ipm Satellite

jfk

hi guys, i want some english stations to watch. asked the store about IBM satellite and was given assurances that it had an english movie channel and football channel. i,m not saying i dont believe them but i have been caught in the past by sneaky sales people.

does anybody have this satellite and does it work?

many thanks for all your help.

regards

IPM. Around 150 channels mostly Thai.

A couple of movie channels with English Language movies. Not great quality and you never know the starting times.

TAN Channel in English. Ok for news.

Saturday and Sunday evenings you usually get ESPN Premier League coverage. Commentary usually in Burmese but the half time chat is English.

Picture quality not great but watchable.

• 6 months later...

Are all available channels exactly the same as the channels that are freely available on the Thaicom 5 and NSS 6 satellites?

I'm just wondering whether by buying an IPM receiver you get extra free channels. Otherwise you could get any other satellite receiver to get these channels (or a Dreambox).

The reason I ask is that I came across the IPM receivers on 9sat.com:

RECEIVER IPM 801 (see for free! ???????,???????) Movies, Cartoons).

RECEIVER IPM 801 (see for free! ???????,???????) Movies, Cartoons). (Google translation)

RECEIVER IPM PVR + (new version)

RECEIVER IPM PVR + (new version) (Google translation)

There is also a web site about IPM: http://www.ipmtv.tv

Edited by hyperdimension

I've done some further research and it looks like they offer some of their own channels in addition to free channels on Thaicom 5 and NSS 6.

These are the IPM channels:

Channel A-Film

Box Good Sport

Channel i-Asia

Channel i-movie

Channel Ji Cartoon

Channel Kitskid

Channel Motorsport

Channel Movies @ satAsia

Channel One Wan

Channel Party Channel

Channel Real Stories

Channel Show

Channel Thai Twenty

Thai Movie channels

Channel Toon Toon

Channel View World

Thai local channels

Can anyone confirm that these are all free, and that they can be viewable by buying the IPM receivers? I wouldn't buy their package because it costs 8K THB and you get 2 dishes, when you should only need 1 big dish with 2 LNBs.

They also provide some nice channel lists of Thaicom 5 and NSS 6, but the list seems to not include some channels (I think there are over 100 on Thaicom 5). I wonder if their receivers can access additional channels that they do not list on their channel sheets.

poster%20black.jpg

poster%20orange.jpg

Edited by hyperdimension

Are all available channels exactly the same as the channels that are freely available on the Thaicom 5 and NSS 6 satellites?

I'm just wondering whether by buying an IPM receiver you get extra free channels. Otherwise you could get any other satellite receiver to get these channels (or a Dreambox).

The reason I ask is that I came across the IPM receivers on 9sat.com:

RECEIVER IPM 801 (see for free! ???????,???????) Movies, Cartoons).

RECEIVER IPM 801 (see for free! ???????,???????) Movies, Cartoons). (Google translation)

RECEIVER IPM PVR + (new version)

RECEIVER IPM PVR + (new version) (Google translation)

There is also a web site about IPM: http://www.ipmtv.tv

I'd be interested to get more information myself. On NSS6, a few channels appear to be BISS encoded but most are FTA.

http://www.lyngsat.com/nss6.html

The IPM receiver doesn't seem to have a card slot: does anybody know if it has a softcam in firmware?

P.S. Thanks to Hyperdimension, whose post crossed with mine.

Just looking at what seems to be in offer from the Lyngemark sat website, all the BISS channels are on NSS6, while there are also additional FTA channels on Thaicom 5. The reason you need two dishes (apart from the hassle of setting up two LNBs on one dish - hard for different satellites) is that the NSS 6 channels are broadcast on the Ku band (small dish) and the Thaicom 5 FTA channels are C band (big dish). The LNBs are different. A motorised dish with a combined C/Ku LNB would do the job but is more expensive. The other thing is that I don't see a sports channel likely to carry EPL football - except the usual Thai channels' occasional game. Is it IPM's own channel that has the EPL with Burmese commentary?

Edited by citizen33

Just looking at what seems to be in offer from the Lyngemark sat website, all the BISS channels are on NSS6, while there are also additional FTA channels on Thaicom 5.

I'm not sure what BISS channels you ar ereferring to, but from what I can see on the lyngsat web site (NSS 6 at 95.0°E) some of those IPM channels appea rto be freely available to everyone, namely:

Channel i-Asia

Channel i-movie

Ji Cartoon

Motorsport TV (not sure if it's the same)

Party Channel

Thai Twenty

View World

This leaves the following IPM channels that do not appear to be openly available:

Channel A-Film

Box Good Sport

Channel Kitskid

Channel Movies @ satAsia

Channel One Wan

Channel Real Stories

Channel Show

Thai Movie channels

Channel Toon Toon

Thai local channels

I wondered whether these channels were part of a package (like Truevisions), but I do not see any packages listed under NSS 6 (Packages Asia & Pacific).

So I'm now wondering whether only an IPM receiver can access these channels, or whether it's possible to view these channels in other ways.

The reason you need two dishes (apart from the hassle of setting up two LNBs on one dish - hard for different satellites) is that the NSS 6 channels are broadcast on the Ku band (small dish) and the Thaicom 5 FTA channels are C band (big dish). The LNBs are different.

You can have 2 LNBs on one dish - one accesses Thaicom while the other NSS 6. There are package deals on 9sat.com that does just this.

e.g. this one costs 3700 THB: http://9sats.com/product/product.detail.php?&cat=47&id=368

And this one costs 4600 THB and includes an IPM receiver: http://9sats.com/product/product.detail.php?&cat=47&id=427

4600 THB sure beats 7K or 8K THB: Satellite receiver set IPM Black dish

Just looking at what seems to be in offer from the Lyngemark sat website, all the BISS channels are on NSS6, while there are also additional FTA channels on Thaicom 5.

I'm not sure what BISS channels you ar ereferring to, but from what I can see on the lyngsat web site (NSS 6 at 95.0°E) some of those IPM channels appea rto be freely available to everyone, namely:

Channel i-Asia

Channel i-movie

Ji Cartoon

Motorsport TV (not sure if it's the same)

Party Channel

Thai Twenty

View World

This leaves the following IPM channels that do not appear to be openly available:

Channel A-Film

Box Good Sport

Channel Kitskid

Channel Movies @ satAsia

Channel One Wan

Channel Real Stories

Channel Show

Thai Movie channels

Channel Toon Toon

Thai local channels

I wondered whether these channels were part of a package (like Truevisions), but I do not see any packages listed under NSS 6 (Packages Asia & Pacific).

So I'm now wondering whether only an IPM receiver can access these channels, or whether it's possible to view these channels in other ways.

The reason you need two dishes (apart from the hassle of setting up two LNBs on one dish - hard for different satellites) is that the NSS 6 channels are broadcast on the Ku band (small dish) and the Thaicom 5 FTA channels are C band (big dish). The LNBs are different.

You can have 2 LNBs on one dish - one accesses Thaicom while the other NSS 6. There are package deals on 9sat.com that does just this.

e.g. this one costs 3700 THB: http://9sats.com/product/product.detail.php?&cat=47&id=368

And this one costs 4600 THB and includes an IPM receiver: http://9sats.com/product/product.detail.php?&cat=47&id=427

4600 THB sure beats 7K or 8K THB: Satellite receiver set IPM Black dish

I think that you are right that most of the channels are free to air. Indeed I set up most the ones on Thaicom 5 C-band up for my mother-in-law back in August and they work fine. My reading is that there is no separate package, just the channels at the frequencies that Lyngsat shows. I'm not sure why not all of the listed encrypted channels appear in the Lyngsat chart, but some are there - in pink. In the column for 'system encryption' you will find they are BISS (not a strong system). See: NSS8 11131 V, 11172V. I admit the last is a bit ambigous but i have visited a Thai Dreambox forum that confirms it is BISS. The FTA channels are coloured white in the charts.

I do not think there are any invisible channels that only the IPM receiver can access. I had a look for the manual of the IPM receiver on their website (PDF download under technical) and it seems fairly standard. There wasn't any information about encryption, but I think this is in firmware and that there are periodic firmware downloads for updates. The Dreambox forum I mentioned makes reference to different firmware versions and updates (yes, I know the firmware is not for the Dreambox but I think the forum members were trying to extract the BISS keys).

I concede that two LNBs is possible. What I had in mind is that this isn't simple to set up, compared say to the Hotbird/Astra brackets that are sold in the UK for two ku satellites. You need a big C-band dish, which in my experience is harder to align than a ku dish, and then attach and align a bracket and ku band LNB to one of the arms. When I was browsing yesterday I came across such a bracket on a dealer site for under 500 baht (couldn't find it again when I looked a moment ago). I wouldn't like to set this up though, and I think that is why IPM has gone for two dishes. I have a motorised dish which is better.

I asked about IPM on a satellite hobbyist forum and nobody was very interested. The Thai expert questioned the information provided by Litebeer above that there is EPL football (with or without Burmese commentary). He recommended CS as the best way forward.

Edited by citizen33

• 1 year later...

About 2-3 weeks ago IPM changed their listing and eliminated any English movie channels that were available before! So now there are almost no English channels except for Real Stories, Asean News Channel, Fashion Network and a few Sports Channels! So if you like 500 channels of Thai Soap Opera, Info commercials and Thai News, I would check out either the DreamBox or OpenBox for watching satellite. IPM has given new meaning to 500 Channels and nothing on!! (Except if you're Thai!)

• 4 weeks later...