mamey sapote

fruitman

I'm also interested in the green sapote, should even taste better but i've never seen it

http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/

Here much fruit from Brasil, for if you want something different.

Here the green sapote

Can anybody bring it from Florida or South america? There are different variety's in both sapotes so make sure you get the best one.

It's a shame that Thailand hasn't made any serious attempt to grow a lot more of the hundreds of tropical fruits available around the rest of the world.

Well the Royal Project grows many "new" fruittree's as experiment but there's much more on the world.

But look at the reply's i got, that says it all i would say. People don't care or don't think they will be nice or won't grow well. Or they just think it won't be a success growing them and make money out of it.

Thailand needs a very large fruitpark, that will also attract loads of tourists. The climate here is perfect for it.

The government could tell all Thai Air personell to bring in fruittree's from abroad and pay them for it.

I saw Kepel tree's for sale in BKK, 3700 baht a piece grown from seed and about 1-2 years old. I have 2 of them in my collection. Those fruits are edible, the cannonball tree's grown in Thailand we can't eat.

But yes i agree that it's a shame Thailand doesn't invest in new fruitspecies. They could export them all over the world but they would rather grow rice it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from a visit at Royal Agricultural Station at Doi Angkhang. They have Tamarillo or Tree tomato there. I could get some seeds but I researched on the internet that the fruit set in hot climate would be low. Anyone has experience with this fruit?

Sorry I forgot to mention that at Doi Angkhang they are fruiting but I want to grow in lowland area.

Just came back from a visit at Royal Agricultural Station at Doi Angkhang. They have Tamarillo or Tree tomato there. I could get some seeds but I researched on the internet that the fruit set in hot climate would be low. Anyone has experience with this fruit?

Sorry I forgot to mention that at Doi Angkhang they are fruiting but I want to grow in lowland area.

I've been there as well some years ago when i wasn't really interested in growing fruit and even didn't have a garden.

What else did you see there? They have a lot i remember, now we eat hass-avocado's from the doi kham farms and they are great. 105 baht for a kg which is 4-5 pieces. Also had figs from there 2 weeks ago but they were not supergood, also not bad.

If you want something special then check this site out and maybe later you can trade with me for other rare fruittree's (i have many from abroad).

http://www.availableseeds.com/fruit-seeds1/

See all 4 pages.

I ordered seeds of the best mamey sapote's from Mexico and green sapote's from Australia.

There is a lot of variety in this fruit so if you decide to buy it then make sure you got the best ones.

Sapote's are draught resistant so i would think it's a good crop for Thailand. Also there are many variety's and sapote's on the world which i have never seen here.

Ross sapote is another one with good reviews, i have 2 tree's of those and hope to see them fruit soon.

I've been there as well some years ago when i wasn't really interested in growing fruit and even didn't have a garden.

What else did you see there? They have a lot i remember, now we eat hass-avocado's from the doi kham farms and they are great. 105 baht for a kg which is 4-5 pieces. Also had figs from there 2 weeks ago but they were not supergood, also not bad.

If you want something special then check this site out and maybe later you can trade with me for other rare fruittree's (i have many from abroad).

http://www.availableseeds.com/fruit-seeds1/

See all 4 pages.

Hello,

It's so great there at Doi Angkhang. I could spend a lot of time there.

As far as I can remember they have research plot there for:

- Kiwi

- Strawberry

- Nectarine

- Apricot

- Peach

- Avocado

- Fig

- Grapes

- Gooseberry (Physalis)

- Persimmon / Khaki

- different vegetables

- rare highland fruit

And yes, this week I bought at Royal Project Store Hass Avocado for 90 Baht, 5 Pieces. A gift from heaven [emoji4]

Where did you get the figs? My store is inside Kasetsart University, Bangkok.

Because some fruit lovers are following this thread.

Until Saturday, 14 November is a fair at Kasetsart University, Bangkhen. It's in the corner Ngamwongwan and Phahonyothin Road.

They're also selling agricultural products especially rare fruit trees.

They have mango, durian, fig, date palm and for the first time a lot of finger lime.

• 2 weeks later...

Because some fruit lovers are following this thread.

Until Saturday, 14 November is a fair at Kasetsart University, Bangkhen. It's in the corner Ngamwongwan and Phahonyothin Road.

They're also selling agricultural products especially rare fruit trees.

They have mango, durian, fig, date palm and for the first time a lot of finger lime.

As previously mentioned by Dumbfalang there are a number of thai fruit 'hunters' and they are growing many different fruit varieties to what is seen on the markets. Many are on facebook if you look hard enough. Start with 'Thailand tropical fruit growers' page and a few that speak english to some degree at least are members on there.Most are well past the normal common fruits although there are many varieties of those that have become rarer over the years as the more commercial types have taken over.It is good to see this community growing in numbers and sharing seeds and knowledge with India. the Philippines. and even the Caribbean.It won't be long before we hear the words Heritage varieties as we need to save some of the hundreds of older strains that are out there still growing but unknown to most but a few farmers.I visited a family today that had at least 10 different finger limes for sale and have seen as many as 15 different for sale in JJ market in Bangkok.As for date palms again on facebook there are even thai growers doing tissue propagation and have 1000s of plants for sale.

However many fruits that are a available at the moment we have hardly scratched the surface of whats out there In the rest of the world that may grow well here.

Yes ,I thought the same.No market at all at the moment and it will take a while to establish but it also will take a few years before all these young date palms mature to the stage of fruiting well.

I see it as a kind of gambling or risk investment. If you have a few rai left, you could try it. But for safe income not. It can go very well or fail completely...

Archived