My present one runs out 12/06/04

when do I apply?

what documents do I need?

where can I do this.? Singkhon Nr pratchup?? I live in Cha-Am

the 800.00 in my Thai farmer account is no probs

Do I need a 90day non imm O before I apply. [ I did for the 1st one]

I have a multi entry which I will re-new in BKK

thanks guys for any help

If you are on a one year extension now, you can get another extension of a year each year. No need for a new visa to be obtained. Where did you do the extension last year ? You should apply within a couple of weeks before the present extension expires. You need your passbook, a letter from your bank evidencing your balance, and a medical certificate from a hospital ( very simple tests and the doc will know what Immigration require. )

1. Don't even apply to extend your reitirement permit Non-0 until a few days before it's expiration. Most immigration offices will send you away until then. Alow a couple of days from the expiration date for emergencies and then go into most immigration offices. If in doubt as to whether your local office will do it, you can go in and ask in the interim.

2. Health certificate, as before.

3. Bank letter as before.

4. Two pictues.

5. Make sure your 90 day long stay reporting receipt is up to date.

6. Fill out the form at immigration. Submit documents. They will probably tell you to come back in ten days, they will extend your permit for the necessary time, and when you return, you will get your one year extenion of your long stay permit. (It is possible that with the new computer linking the immigration offices in place, you may not have to wait for the ten days for them to clear it with BKK).

I cordially invite Dr. Pat and other gurus to critique my advice as I would like to make sure I have it right. I have only done it twice and mine is comming up for the 3rd try.

1. Don't even apply to extend your reitirement permit Non-0 until a few days before it's expiration. Most immigration offices will send you away until then. Alow a couple of days from the expiration date for emergencies and then go into most immigration offices. If in doubt as to whether your local office will do it, you can go in and ask in the interim.

2. Health certificate, as before.

3. Bank letter as before.

4. Two pictues.

5. Make sure your 90 day long stay reporting receipt is up to date.

6. Fill out the form at immigration. Submit documents. They will probably tell you to come back in ten days, they will extend your permit for the necessary time, and when you return, you will get your one year extenion of your long stay permit. (It is possible that with the new computer linking the immigration offices in place, you may not have to wait for the ten days for them to clear it with BKK).

I cordially invite Dr. Pat and other gurus to critique my advice as I would like to make sure I have it right. I have only done it twice and mine is comming up for the 3rd try.

That's fine advice mrmnp. The other thing they want is the actual passbook as well. That bank needs to be very current ( like a couple of days old at most )

Thanks guys :D

Mr Pong, I have never extended, this is my 1st one I got last year.

But using the replies I have agist of what I need, can I go singkhon or is it best to Go Suan Phlu in BKK, I can easily pick up the letter and get the min-bus and do it same day, thought thought it would be easier to drive down to Pratchup and its a quieter place than Suan Phlu. :o

I am coming to the end of the 1yr R/T visa I got last June. And, I have been logging in for my staying over 90 days registration form

Then it is your second extension. Same format. Your file will be in Pattaya, but I see no reason you can't apply at the nearby office.

Don't even apply to extend your reitirement permit Non-0 until a few days before it's expiration. Most immigration offices will send you away until then

Just out of curiosity...........

What happens if immigration won't renew your retirement/marriage visa extension for whatever reason (flunk the physical, piss off the immigration officer, etc); and your NonImmigrant 'O' has expired?

Is there an appeals process? Would you get an 'under review' visa extension to allow this?

I guess if no one has any first hand knowledge about this, I certainly don't want to encourage idle speculation. But that would sure be a pisser to run into, particularly if you've already burned all your bridges 'home!' Sure gives added emphasis to dressing and talking nicely (Johnny Walker Black may be in order too).

Don't even apply to extend your reitirement permit Non-0 until a few days before it's expiration. Most immigration offices will send you away until then

Just out of curiosity...........

What happens if immigration won't renew your retirement/marriage visa extension for whatever reason (flunk the physical, piss off the immigration officer, etc); and your NonImmigrant 'O' has expired?

Is there an appeals process? Would you get an 'under review' visa extension to allow this?

I guess if no one has any first hand knowledge about this, I certainly don't want to encourage idle speculation. But that would sure be a pisser to run into, particularly if you've already burned all your bridges 'home!' Sure gives added emphasis to dressing and talking nicely (Johnny Walker Black may be in order too).

Have your paperwork in order, dress well, be polite and all should be well. Being denied an extension is rare, and is unlikely to be denied on a whim. The JWB is a good idea IMHO. :o

Regarding the 90-day check-in, I got this from the Royal Thai Embassy in Wash. DC web site http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm :

"When completing the stay of 90 days in the Kingdom, the alien shall report to the competent authority and repeat it every 90 days with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area, or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there."

This may be more convenient for people in Isaan who don't appear to have an immigration office close by. They also have a list of immigration checkpoints as follows:

Immigration checkpoints in Thailand

Bangkok Don Maung International Airport, Bangkok

Chiang Mai International Airport, Chiangmai

Phuket International Airport, Phuket

Hat Yai International Airport, Songkla

U-tapao Airport, Rayong

Mae Sai Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai

Chieng Saen Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai

Chieng Khong Immigration Checkpoint, Chiengrai

Betong Immigration Checkpoint, Yala

Sadoa Immigration Checkpoint, Songkla

Samui Immigration Checkpoint, Sumui Airport, Surat Thani

Sukothai International Airport, Tak

Bangkok Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Bangkok

Si Racha Immigration Checkpoint, Chonburi

Mabtaput Immigration Checkpoint, Rayong

Nong Khai Immigration Checkpoint, Nong Khai

Samui Immigration Checkpoint, Torn Harbour Dock Yatch, Surat Thani

Phuket Immigration Checkpoint, Phuket

Satun Immigration Checkpoint, Satun

Krabi Immigration Checkpoint, Krabi

Songkhla Harbour Immigration Checkpoint, Songkhla

Chiang Rai Airport, Immigration Checkpoint, Chiang Rai

Surat Thani Airport, Immigration Checkpoint, Surat Thani

My Thai geography is not that great yet but it seems to me that there are no checkpoints very near, say Ubon Ratchatani.

Is there anyone out there who has done their 90-day check-in at a Police Station rather than an immigration checkpoint?

KevinN: I raised the issue: Do you get a receipt for your "mail in" registration by return mail? in a similar thread months ago and didn't get an answer or even speculatin.

If not, I speculated that if there is ever a "visa check" of your passport, you wouldn't have a up to date 90 day notice receipt to prove you were in compliance.

Enforcement of the 90 day rule only recently became "the thing" so there may be no experience to report.

"Coffee money" probably is the way out of that situation, however, since CM immigration is next to a major shopping center with a decent Japanese restaurant, it is no hassle for me to drop by and do it in person.

KeveinN: What are your thoughts on this? Thanks

Regarding the idea for a gift of a bottle of JWB, could you explain the proper etiquette for offering?

In a plain bag?

At what time in the application?

What to say when handing it over?

Chance that it would backfire (any Mormon immigration officers)?

Enforcement of the 90 day rule only recently became "the thing" so there may be no experience to report.
I guess we have different ideas of "recent" as it has been required for about three years now. Although they may not have made active enforcement a priority. :D

Believe you receive receipt/new form with the return envelope you provide but as live in Bangkok do not have that option :o so others will have to provide details.

Regarding the idea for a gift of a bottle of JWB, could you explain the proper etiquette for offering?

In a plain bag?

At what time in the application?

What to say when handing it over?

Chance that it would backfire (any Mormon immigration officers)?

Plain bag. Early in the dealing but not at the very outset. Thank you for you kind help. Mormans not permitted.

I guess we have different ideas of "recent" as it has been required for about three years now. Although they may not have made active enforcement a priority. :D

Believe you receive receipt/new form with the return envelope you provide but as live in Bangkok do not have that option :o so others will have to provide details.

here is a link to a posting I made last month about my experience with the 90 days reporting by mail:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7567

They do mail all copies you sent back to you with a new form and the new reporting slip.

opalhort

Believe you receive receipt/new form with the return envelope you provide but as live in Bangkok do not have that option

Lop,

Why don't you have this option in BKK? Does living in a city with an immigration department preclude the mail option?

Does living in a city with an immigration department preclude the mail option?

That's my understanding, at least in the case of Bangkok. Unfortunately it often takes longer to get from one side of Bangkok to the other than to travel from Bangkok to Pattaya.

Does living in a city with an immigration department preclude the mail option?

That's my understanding, at least in the case of Bangkok. Unfortunately it often takes longer to get from one side of Bangkok to the other than to travel from Bangkok to Pattaya.

you can report by mail from wherever you are, even within BKK.

I'm living in BKK and have been reporting by mail for the past few years without problems (see my earlier post).

Trafic in BKK and parking problems in Suan Plu make me stay away from this place! Once a year for the anual renewal is more than enough!

opalhort

Do I need to enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope?  If I don't include it, will they mail it back to me anyway?  Many thanks for all your help.

yes you need to enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope and NO they will not mail it back if you don't!

take the weight of the mail (incl. all the returned copies) into account.

I always put 12 Baht on the envelope and provide them with a filled in registered mail form. it works.

opalhort

You don't need to report in person, the Immigration Bureau even accepts registered mail if you are staying outside the Bangkok area
The above is from the main Thai Visa website 90 day reporting page. And I know that Bangkok was not allowed mail reporting when this first started so never tried. But happy to know that things have changed. :o

Below is the handout as of 7 April for mail reporting at Suan Plu - they do not mention 1 photocopy of tm6 but do mention it as a reason for not being able to process reports so I would also include a copy. Also if you are over 90 days you must appear and pay fine:

Attention:  Simplified procedures for 90 days registration my mail.

You may now renew your 90 day registration mail.

Procedure:

Send registered mail to:

90 days Registration,

Room 401, Immigration Bureau

Soi Suan Plu,

South Sathorn Road

Bangkok 10120

Enclose:

1 photocopy of the photo page of your passport

1 photocopy of the page containing your most recent entry visa

the original of your most recent 90 day registration receipt

the original of your new 90 days registration receipt

Don't forget to sign it.

a stamped, self-addressed envelope to receive your new receipt.

please allow at least 1 week for delivery of registered mail.

your new form will be stamped as of the expiration date of your old form.