Used Car Prices

descartes

Im trying to find out the expected depreciation on luxury cars in Thailand, but its difficult to build up a complete picture, as most adverts dont display prices. Is there a "Parkers guide" , "Glasses Guide" or some other way to decide how much I would expect to lose on the purchase of a top end Lotus Exprit, mid-range Porsche or lo-end Ferrari. In the UK, or bigger markets, one can visit online sites such as autotrader to educate oneself.

I know that this is a small market so I dont want to get stuck with something that I could not re-sell due to low depreciation, as here may be negligble difference in cost between a new or second hand vehicle. On the other hand, higher depreciation would make an older model more attractive.

In anticipation of the inevitable "If you have to worry about it, you shouldnt be considering it", responses questions like this elicit, I would respectfully ask these people to refrain from posting such replies as they really are uncalled for.

D

If you're in Bangkok then forget about sportscars, the roads are not good enough for the type of suspension these cars have, in addition the engine will rattle so much due to potholes that your car will spend more time in the shop than on the road, and getting exotic cars repaired can be a nightmare in Thailand with limited access to spare parts and qualified mechanics.

Buy a nice limo and get a driver :o

rodthai.com is a good place to research car prices btw.

Im trying to find out the expected depreciation on luxury cars in Thailand, but its difficult to build up a complete picture, as most adverts dont display prices. Is there a "Parkers guide" , "Glasses Guide" or some other way to decide how much I would expect to lose on the purchase of a top end Lotus Exprit, mid-range Porsche or lo-end Ferrari. In the UK, or bigger markets, one can visit online sites such as autotrader to educate oneself. 

I know that this is a small market so I dont want to get stuck with something that I could not re-sell due to low depreciation, as here may be negligble difference in cost between a new or second hand vehicle. On the other hand, higher depreciation would make an older model more attractive.

Hi Descartes,

I'd recommend you buy the weekly auto ads available in all the bookshops. Many ads don't display prices but many also do- between those and the prices shown online you can get an idea about the rate of depreciation for various cars. Also stop by the various showrooms and inquire yourself so you can get a ballpark figure and decide on what model you want to go after.

I haven't found a depreciation guide beyond what's available in the auto ad magazines, though those are usually out of date in comparison to the actual prices advertised elsewhere in the same book. In reality I've found that the depreciation for most cars is invariably steep- so if one has even minimal knowledge of cars then buying used is a better way to go.

Be sure consider the availability and desireability of the cars you're looking for- Lotus, for example, isn't as well known as Porsche as a brand here. Thus there are less used cars available on the market and unloading your used Esprit could be more difficult than unloading your used 993 or whatnot.

I bought a 1996 Supra a few years ago and actually sold it for more than what I had bought it for. I put a couple hundred thousand baht into the car, so wound up almost breaking even in terms of cost of ownership.

The Supra is still a good option, if you can find one that hasn't been heavily modified. I passed on the RX-7 as it's hard to find a rotary mechanic and I heard a lot of horror stories. If my budget was big enough I'd look at a used NSX as an older model will have stopped depreciating and running costs aren't too bad.

For Thailand I think the best overall balance is with a Porsche- depreciation not too bad, service not too bad, more reliable than other 'exotics', and has street cred here.

Cheers!

If my budget was big enough I'd look at a used NSX as an older model will have stopped depreciating and running costs aren't too bad.

The NSX is a very good suggestion actually, as I guess it would be easier to offload compared to an Esprit, and is probably a better overall car.

As you have actually bought and sold a car here, did you ever consider a personal import. That is buy the car in your home country, and bring it in as a personal possesion. Are the punative duty rates applied to these also.

D

Selling a car - the other side of the equation.

Do not advertise it in the newspapers - expensive and not effective.

I got more calls from a sticker in the car and parking it out in public places.

This may also be a good clue for the potential buyer, but you will need to speak Thai, or have a good friend with you to translate.

I emphasise good friend as the Thais will offer your helper a commission to sell the car. They go cooler when the Thai says he is your brother in law or similar.