Govt Probes Elite Card Corruption

george

Govt probes elite card corruption

BANGKOK: -- The government has announced an official investigation into corruption allegations surrounding Thailand’s elite card scheme.

A fact-finding panel has been set up to probe into the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)’s elite card programme.

Officials involved in the alleged corruption will be severely punished, the Tourism and Sports Minister, Sontaya Kunplome, told TNA.

The elite card scheme has been tainted by corruption allegations for sometime.

Thailand has lost more than 300 million baht through the scheme, said the opposition Democrat MP, Chuti Krairerk.

The tourism minister admitted that there was some unusual practices when the programme first began, especially the introduction of a company to service card holders.

But Mr. Sontaya denied that the scheme had made a loss.

The programme had made a profit of nearly 160 million baht and in its first year of operations.

The elite card scheme was launched to attract wealthy foreign tourists to Thailand by offering them a card with guaranteed privileges during their visits to the country.

The government had hoped to sell one million cards and generate one trillion baht in income within five years.

However, only 660 cards were sold in the first year.

At that rate, it will take 1,515 years to reach the government’s target, mocked the opposition.

--TNA 2004-10-15

Previous reports would indicate that sold is not the correct word to use. It should perhaps have read distributed as up to half that number are thought to have been given free to assorted celebs. for promotion purposes.

Whatever happened to that person who was from the Elite scheme who use to post here? :o

Previous reports would indicate that sold is not the correct word to use. It should perhaps have read distributed as up to half that number are thought to have been given free to assorted celebs. for promotion purposes.

Whatever happened to that person who was from the Elite scheme who use to post here? :o

This week's Phuket Gazette says only 303 cards have been sole for 1 million baht each.

It also says that the Thailand Privilege Card Co. owes CNN 140 billion baht for an advertising campaign.

So, I make it they have a negative cash flow of (140,000,000,000 minus 303,000,000=?) ...

They are in deep sh1t!

Bt300 million in advertising bills from CNN, Fortune and President magazines was the last figure in another post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=elite&st=60#

Above, I understand from press reports, includes 140 million for CNN, although the Nation reported 140 BILLION as well. Ah, the zeros.

Still serious, of course, 300 cards sold (or not, who knows) makes 300 million cash on hand.

Now let's deduct opertion costs for 1 year, office rental, salaries, vehicles etc. etc.

I don't need a calculator to say the company is spending and operating from the own capital without any gains.

How much was the paid in capital again?

Edited by Axel

has the bill been paid or not?

this idea of losing face is getting more and more confusing to me.

if everyone knows the idea sucked

and everyone knows its dr. toxin's brainchild

and everyone pretends to forget about it

how is that good? so now we are all just thinking that he is an idiot behind his back. and he's happy? I'd rather know my enemies.

and the next time he comes up with some other brilliant idea, we are just supposed to suppress our memories of this fiasco? and trust our baht to him so that he can go and blow it again?

its like cabinet members who get 'transfered' to figurehead posts. in the same article, the newspaper will write that its seen as a demotion for failure but at the same time the guy 'saves face'. the way I look at it, he is being kept around so everyone can see what happens to failures.

As l write, executives from Thailand Elite are finalizing negotiations to settle the outstanding advertising bill with CNN.

CNN weren't prepared to accept chickens in payment so now they are to be offered 140 Elite Cards as full payment. :o

And now 140 Politicians daughters enter this.. one elite card plus a daughter, per million of debt.. Excellent deal.

The female anchor on CNN has dibs on one daughter she met at Macdonalds as I understand it.

Ice

As l write, executives from Thailand Elite are finalizing negotiations to settle the outstanding advertising bill with CNN.

CNN weren't prepared to accept chickens in payment so now they are to be offered 140 Elite Cards as full payment.  :o

And now 140 Politicians daughters enter this.. one elite card plus a daughter, per million of debt.. Excellent deal.

The female anchor on CNN has dibs on one daughter she met at Macdonalds as I understand it.

Ice

Does she do tricks ?

[ Whatever happened to that person who was from the Elite scheme who use to post here? [/color] :o

No idea- possibly well clear of Thailand by now.

I was swapping e-mails with him around the turn of the year regarding the programme but then the replies just ceased

Most of the original staff ' fled the scene ' as the poop started hitting the fan.

...This week's Phuket Gazette says ... that the Thailand Privilege Card Co. owes CNN 140 billion baht for an advertising campaign.
... I understand from press reports, includes 140 million for CNN, although the Nation reported 140 BILLION as well. Ah, the zeros. ...

I really must stop believing what I read in the papers :o Sorry.

That is bullshit Axel. The deal was done on chickens :D

Nope Dr., I am not in the high class, chicken shit is enough for me...

and my usually, well, uninformed sources tell me Jas 39 Gripen is still on,

the fearless reported a successful trip to Sweden and Saab said they are interested to sell.

So, keep the chicken for the plane. :o

That is bullshit Axel.  The deal was done on chickens    :D

Nope Dr., I am not in the high class, chicken shit is enough for me...

and my usually, well, uninformed sources tell me Jas 39 Gripen is still on,

the fearless reported a successful trip to Sweden and Saab said they are interested to sell.

So, keep the chicken for the plane. :o

Swedes eat chook don't they Axel ( washed down mit Schnapps ) :D