Surin Or Buri Ram

TRIPxCORE

I am to attend a wedding in Surin on the 31st of December. I need to travel to Surin or at least Buri Ram and preferrably by airplane. Anybody with knowledge of going here and which airlines fly to these destinations? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize its New Year time and most ways are probably full of people by now.

Air Andaman were running 4 flights a week to Surin, however for some reason they have suspended the service for a month (so they say) commencing last weekend. As Lopburi says, there is the Thai Airways Buriram flight, although given the time of year this is likely to be full.

As an alternative, there is a nightly sleeper train which leaves Bangkok around 22:00 hours and arrives in Surin around 06:00. One way first class costs in the order of Bht 950.00.

Having a partner from Surin, I have made many journeys there. I cannot say the trip is the most relaxing experiance I have ever had.

Surin is a difficult place to get to quickly. Having flown to Buri Ram (BFV) there are a couple of things to remember. The airport is a long way out of town, and once the Aircraft has offloaded all and sundry, the place is empty, like a ghost town. The only way to get anywhere near surin seems to be in the private bus. I forget exactly but the fare from Buriram to the big hotel in Surin City but it was something like 1500 baht. When you go back to Buri Ram, make sure whoever takes you there really does know where the airport is.

I can recommend the big hotel in Surin, and the beer garden resteraunt thing they have in the carpark is good food. The night life is in the soi running beside the hotel.

If you can fly direct to Surin then all the better.

My Partner (who comes from Surin) tells me that there isn't an airport in Surin, and they are building one next year.... Interesting though Air Andaman fly there - So much for asking a local. So the next time we go home Surin I think we will be trying to go on flights 2Y804 and 2Y805. It appears they have one stop on the way,

The "Sprinter" is the better option for the train, if you are used to Air Travel then the constant stopping of the normal train might make you a little bit annoyed.

From memory there are 3 kinds of Bus - I cannot always differentiate them, There is the VIP bus that my partner refuses to take, based on price alone, There is the Blue Bus and the Orange Bus. Supposedly the Blue Bus is faster with less stops, but the elapsed time on the trip seems to be the same.

Good lock and enjoy the trip.

I will be going out to buriram/surin soonand was contemplating taking a bus to korat and then hiring a car to get around in for the rest of the journey. I dont want to stay with family for the whole period and the car gives me the out I need to get away. Just a thought. But if there is something direct....like the train.....take it. The big blue buses would be fine too....be adventurous. If you are serious and cashed up, hire a private car with driver.

I forget exactly but the fare from Buriram to the big hotel in Surin City but it was something like 1500 baht.

I can recommend the big hotel in Surin, and the beer garden resteraunt thing they have in the carpark is good food. The night life is in the soi running beside the hotel.

The 'taxi' fare may have increased recently but a few months ago it was Bht 800.00. I'm not sure if this reduces if more than one person use the same vehicle.

Regarding the hotels in Surin, the two largest are the Thong Tarin (as mentioned by Mattnich) and the Petchkasem. The prices vary with seasons, however, you should be able to obtain a half decent room for Bht 600.00 - 800.00, irrespective of the quoted rates.

http://sawadee.com/isan/thongtarin/

http://www.kingdomthailand.com/isan/petchkasem.htm

There is a Budget car hire service through a travel agent (virtually opposite the main police station). As the cars are delivered from Korat, it is advisable to book the day before it is required.

I dont want to stay with family for the whole period and the car gives me the out I need to get away.

Why not hire the car in Bkk and drive? The roads are good, very straightforward. I do it several times a year (to Sisaket, a bit further on), usually use Budget - they seem to be the cheapest of the big names. It gives you total flexibility.

Why not hire the car in Bkk and drive?

Driving North out of Bangkok on a long holiday weekend is not what I would call much fun. Although guess the 31st is not an official holiday would bet many will be leaving work on the 30th and starting the run upcountry. All transportation is likely to be fully booked on 30 and 31 I suspect.