Laos By Boat

blubythebay

Anyone have any information about the boat trip to Laos for a visa run?

Hi, You can't go all the way to Vientiane by boat but you can get as far as Luang Phabang.

In January I decided to have a short holiday in Laos and collect a new visa at the same time. I crossed into Laos at Chiang Khong over to Houayxai. Laos visas are available at the border, price depends on your nationality, I'm British and mine cost 1,700B. The ferry cost 20B, plus 10B for my bag (#@$%!@!).

Then had a very pleasant 2 day boat trip down the Mekong to Luang Phabang, cost approx 700B. The boat stops overnight at a place called Pakbeng, plenty of (basic) guest houses for approx 200B. Got to Luang Phabang at dusk on the second day. Spent 2 days in Luang Phabang (hotel approx 300B) which is a beautiful town, worth a couple of days of anybodys time.

From there its approx 8 hours on the bus to Vientiane, passing through some very spectacular mountain scenery on the way. Had 3 days in Vientiane (plenty of hotels in all price ranges - see posts on the 'visas' pages). After getting my visa took the bus back into Thailand to Udon (cost approx 100B). From Udon you can probably get a bus direct to Chiang Mai (will take approx 12 hours) although for various reasons I wont bore you with I went to Khon Kaen and caught a bus to Chiang Rai from there.

If the thought of doing a visa run this way appeals to you PM me and I'll give you further info.