EV Charging Stations (CS)

KhunLA

PLEASE keep it on topic, as plenty of threads to debate ICE vs EV & EV vs Petrol, Eco vs dirty, source of energy for CS ... bla bla bla ... THANK YOU

Thread is about how to use, your experience, good or bad.  Reviews of CS you used.

Copy & paste of a previous Out & About (O&A) post we did.  Our only one, requiring use of CS.  You'll notice we stuck with the MG CS, since only one we were registered with, as a last minute O&A, with itinerary changes along the way.  For the long winded version:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276247-ev-owners-…-real-life-experience-help-thread/page/4/#comment-17756935

CS details/review, short version:

PKK - HH - Kanchanaburi - Krung Thep - HH - PKK

All CS are not equal:

... tester @ MG/PKK fast

... MG / Hua Hin, seemed slower (1st top up), as simply being there, not needed, only 110 kms driven.

... MG / Kanchanaburi, whoa, that was fast

... MG / Krung Thep, 1st one, no op/not a fast charger.  Scratch that one for future use.

... MG / Krung Thep, 2nd one, fast and on the route home anyway.  No major detour necessary.

... MG / Hua Hin again, wife notices, cable not as thick as the other CS, and probably explaining slower charge up.

MG/Krung Thep

... 1st CS was no op, and the only CS, that we didn't call ahead, oops, was out of service (storm zapped).

... 2nd CS, next one close, was only 17 kms away, and on the route we were taking anyway, sort of.  Simply reassured my thoughts of calling ahead was a good idea.  Since we enjoy staying at ibis Riverside, we'll probably be using that one in the future, going to or from the area.

Locations:

MG / Krung Thep: inop & not fast charger:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/MG+Triple+M+รัชดา-ตากสิน/@13.7062341,100.4805016,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x30e298624f649173:0x7e19599dfa71ceb!8m2!3d13.7062341!4d100.4826903

MG / Krung Thep, fast:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/MG+AList/@13.7367906,100.4042825,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x30e2979a36974265:0x3fc6da8fbf5d940a!8m2!3d13.7367906!4d100.4064712

MG PKK province:

... Municipality, (fast) the only one, on Phetkasem/hwy #4, between Makro & Lotus, southbound lane

... Hua Hin, (bit slower charging) also the only one, on Phetkasem rd, between Bluport (closer) & Market Village, northbound lane @ soi 96

MG / Kanchanaburi (fast), couple petrol stations across the street, so some food market available, and better coffee @ Inthanon Coffee:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/MG+กาญจนบุรี/@13.9947609,99.5585508,17.52z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x30e30d95d6220a5f:0xcc25f920a4017459!8m2!3d13.9947518!4d99.559586

We registered on eVolt & Volta, but haven't tested yet.

PlugShare is best site, so far, for CS location & reviews:

https://www.plugshare.com/

MG has their own site for CS:

https://www.mgcars.com/th/innovation/ev/charging-station

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

EV Station PluZ (at some PTT stations):

On-peak rate from 9am to 10pm is 7.5 baht per unit. 
The off-peak rate from 10pm to 9am is 4.5 baht.

The off-peak rate is charged all day on Saturdays, Sundays and government holidays.

To book charging time at a PTT EV Station PluZ, you must download the EV Station PluZ app. There is a booking fee of 20 baht, but this is refunded as long as you show up for your booking.

I guess these rates will probably go up next month (January) when electricity charges are due to increase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just realized there are 2 MG CS locally/PKK municipality.

MG dealer of course, the other at 

โรงแรมประจวบสามอ่าว / Prachuap Sam Ao Hotel on the Northbound side of Phetkesam/hwy #4.  Hotel near/at intersection, so easy access from either direction.  

Just a couple kms away from each other.  Both a stone's throw from a surfside munch if wanting, before or after ????

image.png.062befdfb90238a6f4003067b708025a.png

image.png.df6846d3c1b2a0e1f405a2c3d21f6fd4.png

Then there is a PEA VOLTA about 20 kms south of them.  Which I may test out this afternoon or tomorrow.   Use there App, top up on app and pay via QR scan.   Also offer a RIFD member card (free), and I guess good to have, if internet or conx problem at there CS.  Nice to have 2 options, if one's on the blink.

MG also has QR option, I think as one AN member stated you don't need to be registered with MG to use their CSs.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

PEA Volta tester ... no surprises, all quite easy.  Local one is actually 35 kms south of us, at Bangchak Gas Station P2N:   https://www.plugshare.com/location/286630

Not the fastest, topped up only 10 kW, in about 11 mins, just as a tester, for all of ฿81.  Good for 75-80 kms, which in the ZS / ICE would cost about ฿250.

Solar of course would get me there & back for a munch & explore for free ????

Had a very nice munch while there @ PN2 Rest.  Worth popping in if in the area: http://tiny.cc/wxu1vz

CS are quite easy to use, via App or member card.  Or just QR scan for some.

We just tested to make sure we know what we're doing, so no surprises when O&A

Going to test out one more, locally, sort of, and about 35 kms north, at Sam Roi Yot area.   PTT's EV Station, and will give us 3 options when O&A without thinking too much.

More than a few  CS vendors to choose from, as posted above, and we like stopping at PTTs anyway, and PEA's is another good one to have. 

Add to MG's and comfy stops while topping up, when needed.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

EV Station PluZ (CS app) is CC payment only.

EVolt, & EA Anywhere are also CC payment only.

So we'll be giving them a pass.  Didn't realize EV Station was CC only, till we got there ???? along with a crappy lunch.

Oh well ... everyday can't be bliss ????

MG & PEA Volta will do for now, and plenty about.

Surprisingly, easier to find than petrol station w/ E85 ????

CS Network.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Went through all the CS Icons posted earlier, and made some notations, just for myself really ... but, why not.

... IF 'X' out & CC ... means I'm not interested as needing CC

... Limited ... availability, and if having map, I added it, possibly not current

... If 'X' out, no notation, might be hardware supplier

... couple others, self explanatory, hopefully.

... Circled, ones we plan on using

Also PEA Volta, already sent the card I was referring to, in above post, so can use member card (topped up) or App (topped up) to pay.

Temp.thumb.jpg.7ccd6dccb938c0bcb10c19bce01279f9.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You might want to use EV Station PluZ, it's actually the only fast DC charger I have used.  It was on highway 1 on my way to Kampheng Phet from Chiang Rai.  Very trusting too, it let me charge my car then asked me how I want to pay for it.

hmm ... They told the wife, CC/debit card only to pay.  Have to check that again.

I like that one since at PTT stations, where we usually ended up anyway with the ICE, for the few that had E85 anyway.

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

You might want to use EV Station PluZ, it's actually the only fast DC charger I have used.  It was on highway 1 on my way to Kampheng Phet from Chiang Rai.  Very trusting too, it let me charge my car then asked me how I want to pay for it.

That's certainly surprising!

I have used Ev Station PluZ many times. First time, my girlfriend had to download the app and register using her debit card for payment. We both recall it was a bit of a rigmarole but once set up it worked, and has worked since, beautifully.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, macahoom said:

That's certainly surprising!

I have used Ev Station PluZ many times. First time, my girlfriend had to download the app and register using her debit card for payment. We both recall it was a bit of a rigmarole but once set up it worked, and has worked since, beautifully.

I think it hit an error trying my debit card and offered me a QR code, if I recall correctly

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK ... we broke down and got a CC ... ????  Since 3 of the popular CS prefer, require payment by, direct or via app, tied to CC.  EA Anywhere, eVolt & EV Station Pluz.  Still prefer MG & PEA Volta.   Need to check out MEA EV, as they're around Krung Thep and at 7-11s, or plan to be.

Banks here SUCK.  ttb (Thanachart & TMB merger (THANKS ), and they actually require CC placed against 1 mill baht account balance, maybe because wife in not employed.  Since a newb, her credit rating would suck anyway.

Obviously we're not using those accounts, and why we don't have CC or Debit cards in Thailand.   My USA VISA card, if used, I'm guessing since not in my 'buying habits' would get declined for the first few uses, so scratch that.  They are actually a little too good at that, and a good thing.

BkkBank/BBL ... easier to get, but silly charge, yearly, if you don't use.   If don't use the CC, for 5k baht worth of purchases, they charge you 3000+ baht, for yearly fee.  Card itself cost 260 baht, renamed a 'holding fee' ????  Another reason we don't have plastic here, as hate paying to have access to your money, that they are profiting from already.  

And if you cancel, end agreement with the CC, they charge you another 260 baht, guess that is called 'unhold fee'.  These rules may only apply to non working, new credit folks .... maybe.   Be interested if for all, or we're special.   I myself didn't even ask about a CC with my BBL account.

Since unemployed, they/BBL require 30k in account, as 'security deposit'.   Curious how long it takes before they actually trust you to make payment toward purchases.  45 day grace to avoid any interest payments.

Banks SUCK,  tie with 

Insurance companies and

Lawyers, unless representing ME ????

So my apologies if you are stuck behind us at Makro the next 3 visits, as that will fulfill the 5k requirement.

So we're good for:

MG , PEA Volta ... app

EA Anywhere, EV Station Pluz, & eVolta ... app and /or CC required

Chickie we met at EV Station said debit card is accepted also.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, marin said:

Thanachart and TMB, its my bank and has really gone downhill.

Yea, them 3 letters.  Thanachart was nice, till the merger.   Wife hates it now, but they do give more interest on large deposits than BBL.  Not much, but any wee bit helps.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

eVolt only has 52 CS, what was I thinking ????

Maps for MG, PEA Volta, EA Anywhere & EV Station Pluz

There's always PlugShare to fill in any gaps.

PlugShare having updates & reviews, Along with CS apps, 

letting you know what's available or not (maintenance or inop)

You shouldn't need to show and be disappointed, IF, checking prior to.

IF YOU CAN'T FIND A CS  ...  YOU'RE NOT LOOKING VERY HARD

MG.jpg

PEA Volta.jpg

EA Anywhere.jpg

EV Station Pluz.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

• 2 weeks later...

Short O&A, PKK to Chumphon, (1 night stay) and used 2 CSs.  One only 38 kms from the house, which we left home @ 100% anyway.  But didn't know how much 'exploring' we'd be doing before near CS, so topped up, and actually glad we did, as I prefer to stay above 30% at all times.  Taking the longer 'scenic' route to Chumphon, 273 kms vs 183 kms on the return home.

Good ... PEA Volta, fast, 1 'local', 1 Chumphon

Bad ... 2 CSs not available.  Labeled on ChargLoma app as MG CS, which they are not.  Also on PlugShare, simply labels of PTT & Shell, station located at.  

... PTT ((PTT Bang Mak(PlugShare), and 7-11 staff told us to contact HQ?,  After waiting for them to do something we simply left.  Not a super charger (MG labeled charger(old), and cable small, so suspect slow.

... Shell (Shell จิงโจ้(วังใหม่)(PlugShare), and same old MG type, small cable, MG logo on charger, BUT, EV Station Pluz signed.  We don't have CC, which is required to use, and stall also pointed out, IN-OP, how true, not sure.

Not a problem, as all 3 were within 15 ish kms of each other.

image.png.d6f6e93aa013656f381457b8303c340a.png

Moral of story ... verify best you can on apps, before showing up, and don't show up in dire need of charge / < 10% battery.

Neither of the labeled MG CSs are on the MG site ... go figure.

Wife did call the Chumphon MG dealer to inquire about 'their' CS at dealer, also not listed on their site, as it is not a super charger.  Suspect it is mainly for in house use, be we were welcome to use if wanted.

On return home, no need to use CS, as only 183 kms.

Wee bit of local Chumphon driving after top up to 100%, left hotel w/94% and returned home with 33% battery.  Total 456 kms r/t & ฿350 CS use.

Overnight @ Tamsabai Resort, last minute decision, and just OK.  Nice setting, but bed not the most comfy.  Little overpriced for what offered ... nothing but instant coffee.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Tamsabai+Resort/@10.4954659,99.0815813,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!3m7!1s0x30f8a9e6b1473c81:0xb8431aabe404b0a!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d10.495484!4d99.0837788

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For your information.. Charging stations are being installed in the car park under Central Festival Samui. A whole parking area is being designated just for this purpose. Can't see how many CS at the moment as the area is boarded up.

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

Has anyone noticed if it is a common brand name on the chargers at different charging stations?(eg Siemens,ABB)

And is there a sticker,seal from a particular company who maintains,calibrates the chargers.

MG DC chargers are another well known brand, I can’t remember which, but with an MG iSmart account I was able to fast charge my non-MG car.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Can't emphasis this enough "test out the different vendors/apps/pay options" on 'local' CS of that vendor, BEFORE hitting the road, IF possible.

Attempted to eVolta, twice, 1st, definitely 'user error', 2nd, don't think so, an machine settings may not have be switched on properly, as at an empty resort, and appeared to be not used much.

No problem, as MG or PEA Volta are always handy, along with EVStation.

Don't test on the road.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

O&A  ... PKK - Surat Thani - Phang-Nga - Phuket

Short version, no real issues, and there are more than enough CS in route, whether staying on the highways or taking the scenic route.  

Long version, no real plan, and on the fly.  Only plan was, go about 250-300kms before charging and or hotel, which ever we decided first.  Move on the next day.  Crap weather at Surat Thani, so scratched the 'dinner' and overnight.

Wife's 1st decision ... "I'm hungry, I got to P" @ the 100kms mark ????  Be nice if I could actually drive 3-4hrs without stopping.

Get to first CS, plug in, stroll around, snack, and now check internet and actually think about a hotel.   Car is topped off, we're still debating, and since been here so many times, continue on. 

I have an idea, stop at the Cheow Lan Lake to take a boat out, then hotel, weather dependent, though not optimistic since very lite rain.  Wife completely against the idea/boat, and agree, or even staying in the area, since again, 'been there, done that' mode.   So next area of interest is a stretch with 'less' CSs.  Less meaning, 100ksm stretch, with the route "I want" to take, scenic.

Since no plan and I'm overly cautious, stop to top up, at 'last stop', so I can actually think about where to stay.  Car done again, before I am, though got a basic idea, so off we go.  Still lite spotty rain, but a fun, very nice drive.

Get to GH with plenty of reserve, as only 125 kms away, if that, from last 'unnecessary' top up.   Stay 2 nights, and wife wants to shop, me, munch, so conveniently located with a CS there.  

1st encounter with a Q,, 2 bay CS, 1 occupied, 1 reserved, (not us) so off to next one after quick peek at shopping, just up the road a bit.  Top up while having a lite munch.   Topped up, so no need to while on Phuket, if not wanting, as only 125 kms away.  Really didn't need to top up, but too convenient not to.

On Phuket, once again, out for a munch, and convenience of CS 130m away, so topped up again, while eating & 7-11 stock up.  Back to the car, and @ 98%.

NO drama, no out of the way searching, no charging as a necessity, just conveniently located where we were at the time, and topped up before we were ready to move on, or could have left without going to 100% as simply not needed.

Been here / Phuket couple days, 1 more night, booked last night, for tonight, as I say ... always travel on the fly, never really having a plan.  Each next night was booked the night before.

Weather has been great, forecasted thunderstorms never materialized.  Great resort (Secret Cliff Resort & Restaurant) for R&R. 

Breakfast buffet leaves a lot to be desired, but all of 40 baht as add on at booking ????  Has an omelet station and OK coffee w/croissants, so really can't go wrong, for 20 baht each, if not wanting the rest on offer.

Surf is rough, and understandable how folks drown themselves, though surfers are having fun...or attempting to.

HAPPY TRAVELS

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Weather has been great, forecasted thunderstorms never materialized.  Great resort (Secret Cliff Resort & Restaurant) for R&R. 

HAPPY TRAVELS

Wrong vid got posted, 2 surf, and not the resort pool area...corrected

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

One good practice is to top up when you can, not when you have to.

Yep, and we just did again, (only 22%) as CS <50m from 7-11 we stopped at, on the way back to resort.   We're out of here tomorrow, and one less thing to do, though don't think we'll be going much further than 200 kms, so wasn't needed ... yet ????  Though plan is still undecided.

Heads up for Phuket, as I notice, most chargers are not fast chargers.  Bit of a scam on the tourist.  More than a few, at hotels (maybe free) and shopping centers, charge by the hour, and 60 baht for that slow charging hour ????

Makes sense for the locals, if not leaving the island, you really don't need to charge at all.  Phuket simply isn't that big.  One VIP taxi company using MG EPs and wise choice.

PEA Volta & EVStation Plus are the fast chargers I've noticed.

Back from short O&A, only 1419 kms, and starting to drive 'less' conservative.   Taking it down closer to 20%, but then only back up to 80%.  Instead of down to 30s and topped @ 100%.   Does make for shorter stops, though don't think it ever took longer than us, at the stop anyway.  A leisurely toilet stop, walk dog, lite munch.  Usually fine tune my hotel & dining research at CSs.  So a bit time consuming, at times.

As stated a few times, a welcome stop after 250 ish kms/3 ish hrs on the road.

Something we found out, EVStation chargers, do a system reset at 55 mins after the hour.  So if using, best to get there on the hour, if wanting, needed 45+ ish mins of charging.

Aside from that, no surprises while O&A, all CS conveniently located along our route, even on smaller roads.  No stretches without a station, at about every 100 kms or so.   PKK - Chumphone - Surat Thani - Phang-Nga - Phuket & return.

• Like 1