Fastest "visa Run" From Chiang Mai

WaiWai

Posted the following question in the "visa" section a few days ago, but there's not much response, so will try here. Local expats may be better informed on the topic, which is really a travel query rather than a visa one. :o .

Travelling from Chiang Mai, by car or plane or combination thereof, what would be the plan for someone wishing to spend as little time away as possible while renewing a non-Immigrant B visa ?

Last trip was to Penang, so perhaps best to use a different embassy (Laos/ Singapore/ KL,Malaysia/ other?) this time.

Please name airlines, and flight schedules too, if possible.

Thank you .

Replies in "visa" section are at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121856 .

Any thoughts ?

With 500 posts, I'm figuring you're an old hand at visa runs so this is unusual. But here in CM we do the border run to Mae Sai a few ways, all by road. If you go bus, it takes all day. That's whether you go straight to Mae Sai via VIP or do it in sections CM to Chiang Rai, then connector to Mae Sai. I stop in CR to eat breakfast at a favorite Khao Man Gai place near the bus terminal every time. If you rent a car n drive it you can do it in about 6-7 hrs. The bus can take from 6:30am - leave house- till 8:30 pm get home. It's a hel_l of a day that way but TIT.

Posted the following question in the "visa" section a few days ago, but there's not much response, so will try here. Local expats may be better informed on the topic, which is really a travel query rather than a visa one. :o .
Travelling from Chiang Mai, by car or plane or combination thereof, what would be the plan for someone wishing to spend as little time away as possible while renewing a non-Immigrant B visa ?

Last trip was to Penang, so perhaps best to use a different embassy (Laos/ Singapore/ KL,Malaysia/ other?) this time.

Thank you .

Replies in "visa" section are at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121856 .

Any thoughts ?

Well i dont know if your a french berry wearing artist or not, but, i would take some money with you, just in case you havent got a plane tiket!!!!

Thank you .

Any thoughts ?

If you need to renew and not extend your non-imm visa then Singapore is a good choice, thats where i go every year. Fast and friendly service as well. www.tigerair.com have flight schedules, they have cheap-ish daily flights from Chiang Mai.

Cheers.

With 500 posts, I'm figuring you're an old hand at visa runs so this is unusual. But here in CM we do the border run to Mae Sai a few ways, all by road. If you go bus, it takes all day. That's whether you go straight to Mae Sai via VIP or do it in sections CM to Chiang Rai, then connector to Mae Sai. I stop in CR to eat breakfast at a favorite Khao Man Gai place near the bus terminal every time. If you rent a car n drive it you can do it in about 6-7 hrs. The bus can take from 6:30am - leave house- till 8:30 pm get home. It's a hel_l of a day that way but TIT.

This renewal cannot be done at Mae Sai; must be done at one of the larger embassies/consulates.

Just trying to find the "run" that can be done in the minimum of time from Chiang Mai & thought others might be interested, too.

Thanks for your replies :o.

This renewal cannot be done at Mae Sai; must be done at one of the larger embassies/consulates.

Just trying to find the "run" that can be done in the minimum of time from Chiang Mai & thought others might be interested, too.

There are direct flights from CM to Vientianne, Kuala Lumpur, and Singapore.

The real question is how to accomplish the mission in the shortest possible time. Perhaps flying, perhaps using car/bus/train, perhaps a combination.

The destination country or method of transport are not so important.

I know of these 2 ways to spend only 2 nights away :

Day 1. Leave CM on Thai Air (maybe other airlines) in afternoon, arrive KL in the evening.

Day 2. Morning visit to Embassy.

Day 3. Early afternoon visit to Embassy. Late afternoon return by Thai Air (no other airlines available).

One advantage of Thai Air is tickets can be changed if needed.

Thai Embassy in KL *MAY* give your visa approval in the morning of Day 2 if you cite special circumstances such as tight schedule for flight.

* Singapore can be done with approximately the same time frame.

* Penang & Vientiane require an extra day as the only return flights are on morning of Day 3.

and "garp" on the Visa section here suggested :

overnight bus to nongkhai, onward to vientienne to apply for your visa in the morning.

pick it up at 1.00pm the next day, back in ChiangMai early next morning.

Any other ways others are aware of to avoid 3-4 days away

Apply for a one year extension at the imagration office, need your taxes paid up to date though.

For a non Imm B? errr.... what if you never made any money that year? :o

Taxes are up to date.

How does this work ??

scead, then you will have the paper work to show that fact, as imm want to see payment of tax as part of your application of extension, along with work permit etc. etc.

WaiWai, when you get a chance, go to the imm office near the airport, ask them about applying for a one year extension for a non imm B, they will give you a "LONG" list of all the documents that need to be provided to make an application, I do have one here some place, but can't find it sorry. A plus is that if you get the extension, you no longer need to make the three monthly boarder run, just report at the imm office instead.

I have not made this application myself yet (went back to UK to renew last time as I got to see family at the same time), but I intend to apply for residency at some stage, but to apply you must have already been here on at least three one year extensions.

solent01 :

WaiWai, when you get a chance, go to the imm office near the airport, ask them about applying for a one year extension for a non imm B, they will give you a "LONG" list of all the documents that need to be provided to make an application, I do have one here some place, but can't find it sorry. A plus is that if you get the extension, you no longer need to make the three monthly boarder run, just report at the imm office instead.
"Sunbelt" has advised that this application must be made outside Thailand. Have done a few previous 3-monthly trips outside Thailand. Hope to get the 1-year visa this time. Perhaps your circumstances are different ?

JuniorExPat :

Not 100% on topic but relevant all the same - take a look here.
Not at all - spot on topic; just a little past the use-by date, unfortunately (3 days, 2 nights deals with Air Laos, ended Mar 07).

Thanks for the replies. :o Still interested in hearing of other possibilities :D.

There are? Not trying to be smart @rse but doesn't the CNX flight to Vientiane stop in Luang Prabang?

If you know of a direct flight I'd be very interested as I am planning a visit to Vientiane.

JxP

solent01 :
"Sunbelt" has advised that this application must be made outside Thailand. Have done a few previous 3-monthly trips outside Thailand. Hope to get the 1-year visa this time. Perhaps your circumstances are different ?

JuniorExPat :

Not 100% on topic but relevant all the same - take a look here.
Not at all - spot on topic; just a little past the use-by date, unfortunately (3 days, 2 nights deals with Air Laos, ended Mar 07).

Thanks for the replies. :D Still interested in hearing of other possibilities :D.

Doh!! I was just about to go and try to book that deal :o - I'll let post here if I find similar.

JxP

Thanks for your replies :D.

There are? Not trying to be smart @rse but doesn't the CNX flight to Vientiane stop in Luang Prabang?

If you know of a direct flight I'd be very interested as I am planning a visit to Vientiane.

JxP

Yes, Junior, you're right. But I wrote "direct" not "non-stop" ... anyway, if you've ever flown on Lao Aviation you already know that there may be additional ad hoc stops at any time for baling wire and duct tape. :o

-NG

Thanks for your replies :D.

JxP

Yes, Junior, you're right. But I wrote "direct" not "non-stop" ... anyway, if you've ever flown on Lao Aviation you already know that there may be additional ad hoc stops at any time for baling wire and duct tape. :o

-NG

Now I am REALLY looking forward to my flight - thanks! :D

In a previous life I used to commute on these Trislanders so maybe I can cope with Lao Airlines.

JxP

Off topics, but I have two year visa trugh BOI. Last year I forgot to get my re-entry visa and left Thailand with a big smile. Went to Germany. When I came back I got a 30 days visa even though I run two companies in Thailand, have land buildings etc. and invested millions.

I tried to change my 30-day visa to non-immigrant visa, but without ANY luck. At the end I went to London to get my new non-immigrant visa, but the embassy in London have SO MANY sour faces that its a shame that these people that works there for years are in mild term so rude and come up with such a funny rules that I must have a emplooyment letter when the companies are mine and approved by BOI.

As said they give you a list of papers of what documents they need without consider the situation which is in fact case by case. So I was just pissed up with the Thai Embasy in London and took my flight with EasJet to Budapest. Cost me only about 2000 Baht. I went to the Thai Embassy up on the mountain and got PERFEC service, no problems at all - with a new Non-IMM VISA in my passport.

What happen with me was not only that I forgot to make my return VISA, but I also lost all the 9 years of time I stayed in Chiang Mai as I wanted to have a Permanent Recidency. Now I starting all over.