Residence Certificate

I was asked for a residence certificate to buy a car this week. I had one from a month earlier I used to get my annual visa extension but the finance people didn't want to use that one.

When I went to immigration, they gave me a list of things needed before they would issue it.

1. 2 color photos (1.5" x 2")

2. Copy of Passport:

-Picture Page

-Visa extension limit

-arrival / departure card (TM card).

3. A copy of the house registration and a copy of the rental contract.

4. A copy of ID card of the owner and write certified of residence and signed by the owner.

(The ID card of the same person who signed the rental contract)

I figured I would post the info here just in case anyone else needed a residence certificate.

post-19457-1168677583_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard10365

...residence certificate went to immigration, they gave me a list of things needed before they would issue it...

Interesting, this list of requirements in Chiangmai. I always thought the Certificate of Residence was there for the asking if one had an annual extension stamp in the passport. I wonder if others were asked the same as you at other immigration offices.

Interesting also the size of the required photos. Immigration generally specifies the size in metric measurements and ask for 2 x 6 cm, but I believe accepts any reasonable size. The specified size of 1.5 x 2 inches makes me think that Chiangmai made these requirements up by themselves.

--

Maestro

• 2 weeks later...

A few months ago I applied for, and received, a residence form from the U.S. Consulate in CNX. No issues or dramas and I had a tourist visa.

An easier option in my experience than the immigration office if you hail from the states.

Hi

I have just received an email from the British Consulate in Chiang Mai and they have said

Residency cetificate - standard fee of Baht 1,763.

For the standard letter we require as follows:

- Your current passport

- Standard fee for a letter is Baht 1,763.00

- Completed our registration form (provided at the Consulate)

-processing time is 1 working day after we receive your documents

Seems alot simpler than obtaining one from Thai Immigration

Actually, we did this in August. The DL office has a nice list in English for what the DL office needs, but I don't recall what immigration required. They wanted to see the lease contract from my landlady, and a photocopy of her ID card. She's quite wealthy, and I don't think we even signed a lease, but they accepted her faxed letterhead statement with her ID. I understand that farang living on their Thai family's land would need copies documenting that the family owns the land. I suggest that you bring a stack of different size passport photos with you and let them decide which one they like. The lady in the copy shop outside charges about 100 baht for four instant photos. I assume you have to provide photocopies of your passport front page, and latest visa and extension. Don't forget to bring them chocolates or flowers.

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking of getting a Thai Driving Licence. I wonder if I could use my letter from the British Embassy certifying my residence. I ask because it's 7 years old!!! I used it to register my motorbike in my name way back then.

If not, I will probably get a Certificate of Residence from Suan Phlu but in all the years I have had visa extensions, I've never done the 90 days notification. If I apply for a Certificate of Residence, will it raise red flags leading to a fine?

As you can see, both routes may end up costing about the same as a fine from Immigration is 2000 which is similar to the cost of a new letter from the Embassy. Reckon I'll just try the old one and hope they don't notice the date at the Land Transport Dept.

Maybe it has changed, but the CMai immigration office gave me a residence cert in October or November, to get my Thai driver's license, for free.

It's still free, but you must have a one year extension on your Non Imm O- B etc. Otherwise you will need to obtain a residence certificate fro your nearest embassy/ consulate as i did in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Austhaied