Dust And Turbochargers

terdsak_12

There's a short cut to my house along a dirt track which is extremely dusty these days, at a night time with the lights on I can see the dust being sucked into the air scoop of my Fortuner. With the new flyover being bulit near my house the short cut makes life a lot easier.

Question is do I need to be concerned by this, I have my air filter cleaned regularly, but seem like an awful lot of dust is being sucked into my new motor.

Any comments???

The only way for air to get into your engine is through the filter (duh). Therefore if I was you I'd monitor the condition of my air filter closely, replace it when dirty, and otherwise not worry much about it. Good idea to change the oil/filter every 5000 km as well, seems like overkill but if you plan to keep the vehicle for awhile it's worth the trouble.

Adding to the comment made by Jing Jing, I'd recommend replacing the filter when it is dirty as opposed to cleaning it. It is common practice to blow compressed air through the clean "engine" side of the filter to remove dirt from the filter. However, the high pressure air can actually blow "holes" in the filter... rearranging the fibre structure and allowing the tiny microns of dust to get through when you re-use the cleaned filter.

You may also consider looking at some custom 4x4 equipment suppliers who specialize in desert racing to see if a better quality filter such as K&N or similar is available for your Fortuner.

Edited by bino

Bino is exactly correct, never ever clean an air filter, if its visibly dirty toss it and put in a new one. Air filters do not abide by time or mileage, they can last 100,000 kilometers or 100, completely dependent on the environmental dust. Always check that they got it installed right, the clips are shut and no gasket deformation. A major cause of damaged turbos and destroyed piston rings.

You can add a restrictor guage that shows the condition of the filter by registering the vacuum behind the filter intake. There are also add on foam screen prefilters for many vehicles to extend the life of the paper filter. They are cleanable and inexpensive. I dont know if these options are available in Thailand as this is not seriously nasty dust as is found in deserts.

There are also add on foam screen prefilters for many vehicles to extend the life of the paper filter. They are cleanable and inexpensive.

This is an excellent thought, especially considering that the paper element in my car is approximately 1000 Bt a throw. A foam filter sandwiched over the paper element would catch the majority of the crud and be easily cleanable.

There are also add on foam screen prefilters for many vehicles to extend the life of the paper filter. They are cleanable and inexpensive.

This is an excellent thought, especially considering that the paper element in my car is approximately 1000 Bt a throw. A foam filter sandwiched over the paper element would catch the majority of the crud and be easily cleanable.

The problem with a foam prefilter is possible restriction of airflow. Also, to be effective, most foam filters must be lightly oiled. In a very dusty environment they tend to get dirty and clog up quickly.

When I changed the air filter on my Hilux 2.5 turbo, I was quoted 1000 baht for the Toyota filter and 400 for a Thai aftermarket unit. Upon inspection they appeared identical, so I figured since I'd be replacing it frequently, might as well opt for the cheaper one.

Changing your oil and filters frequently when operating in a harsh environment just makes sense - unfortunately for secondhand buyers like myself, Thais are not known for their diligent maintenance habits.

Edited by jing jing

In a very dusty environment they tend to get dirty and clog up quickly.

Isn't that the whole idea of the exercise?

Surely the same dirt that would clog up a foam filter has already entered the filter housing and would also clog up a paper filter?

In a very dusty environment they tend to get dirty and clog up quickly.

Isn't that the whole idea of the exercise?

Surely the same dirt that would clog up a foam filter has already entered the filter housing and would also clog up a paper filter?

Well, sort of. It's just that dirt clinging to the oiled foam creates a more impenetrable barrier for air than dirt on a dry paper filter does. If you're the sort who's prepared to pull the foam off and clean it frequently, like on a weekly basis, then that could be the hot setup for you.

If you're the sort who's prepared to pull the foam off and clean it frequently, like on a weekly basis, then that could be the hot setup for you.

Nope! I'm not the sort! My car is old- not worth a s#it! :o

But- if the OP is cleaning his paper filter on a regular basis.... might be a solution for him!

I installed a "genuine" K&N filter on my pick up and then when I went to clean and oil it, I found a nice coating of dust in my intake manifold!

Also be careful when servicing your car, the guy's like to blow out the dust from the paper element and if not done carefully it can let dust in as well. Keep an eye on them when they do it and make sure they blow from the inside out only.

Also don't use cheap filters ever if you plan to keep the car. Car companies don't spend millions in development for nothing!