Are Robinson's Guarantees Worth The Paper...

RDN

I always ask about guarantees when I buy anything of value - for example, how long does the guarantee last and what must I do when the product goes wrong. I always keep receipts so that if something doesn't work straight away, I take it back the next day and get either a replacement or my money back. One example was the drain hose for my sink that had tiny holes in it all the way down the seam on the side - I got it replaced at Home Pro without problem although it did take ages while various people got involved, the product was inspected and forms filled out.

But the time it took Robinson's store to fix my Philips electric kettle must be a record. Unless, of course, you have a different story....

The kettle stopped working after 8 months. I bought it in Robinsons Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, in October 2002 and it stopped working in August 2003. As it had a 2 year guarantee, I went to Robinsons to get it repaired.

Robinson staff: "You can take it to the Philips dealer near Sathorn Road, if you want."

Me: "No, I want you to fix it and I want to come back and pick it up when it is ready."

Robinson staff: "OK sir, but they only come once a month to collect things to repair and then bring them back the next month."

Me: "But I'm moving to Phuket soon. Can't you take it to Philips and get it repaired quicker?"

Robinson staff: "You can take it to the Philips dealer yourself if you want."

Me: "Do you have a store in Phuket? Can I get it fixed there?"

Robinson staff: "Yes sir, here is the address of the Philips dealer in Phuket."

Me: "No, can I get it fixed by Robinson in Phuket. I don't want to take it to the Philips dealer. Does your guarantee allow me to get it fixed in any Robinson store?"

Robinson staff: "Yes sir."

With that I left. About 5 weeks later I moved to Phuket.

Location now: Robinson's store in Phuket Town, 10th October 2003:

Me: "I have a Philips kettle that does not work. It is less than one year old but has a 2 year guarantee".

Robinson staff: "Sorry sir, you bought this in Bangkok. You must take it back there."

Me: "No. They told me that you could repair it. I bought it in a Robinson store."

Robinson staff: "Sorry sir, we can only repair items bought from our store."

Me: "I want to speak to the manager."

Me: (to a Robinson manager) "I bought this in a Robinson store in Bangkok. Are you going to tell me that I cannot get it repaired in another branch of the same store?"

Robinson manager: "No sir. We will repair it."

At last! I now have to wait while the ever growing crowd of bored sales staff try to find the "Repairs Slip" book. Four of them look while the manager smiles sheepishly. Eventually they find it and start to write in it. The manager immediately stops them, having noticed there there is not the required three sheets of carbon paper inserted between the following pages. Several minutes go by as a second search ensues. The carbon paper is found, all the details are written down and I get a carbon copy.

Robinson staff: "The Philips dealer will come soon and we will call you when it is ready to be collected."

One week later I receive a call from Robinson:

Robinson staff: "The Philips dealer says it will be about three weeks."

Me: "OK, I'll wait to hear from you when it is ready."

About a month later I receive a call from Robinson:

Robinson staff: "The Philips dealer needs to get a part from Europe. It will take about three months."

Me: (not giving too much of a t*ss as I'd already bought another kettle): "OK, I'll wait for you to call me".

I now move house 3 times within Phuket, not really thinking too much about the Philips kettle - it has almost faded into a kind of mythology. Then, in May 2004 while unpacking some boxes after the last move, I find the "Repairs Slip". So I decide to follow it up. I call Robinson and they say I must bring the "Repairs Slip" and they will find out where it is. So I go there at the end of May:

Robinson staff: "The guarantee is out of date."

Me: "It was a two year guarantee and anyway, the kettle failed within one year of the purchase date - have a look at the date on the Repairs Slip."

Robinson staff: "It is too late to call the Philips dealer today, please come back tomorrow with the Repairs Slip."

The following day I photocopy the Repairs Slip and till receipt and go back to Robinson. They call the Philips dealer who says that it cannot be repaired.

Me: "OK, I want my money back or a new kettle."

Robinson staff: "We will have to contact Sukhumvit branch to get a new kettle. We will call you back."

The following day I get a call from Robinsons:

Robinson staff: "Your kettle is repaired and ready to be picked up."

3rd June 2004: I go to Robinsons and get my kettle back. It is working perfectly!

So I guess that, provided you are prepared to wait (in this case about 9 months), then "Yes", the guarantee does work! But 'Customer Satisfaction'? Forget it!

Stayed tuned for next week's episode: "Courts furniture store, Phuket, and the missing glass panel in my kitchen cabinet".

Reminds me:

Panasonic digital camcorder:

I dropped it, and to be fair I dropped it several times before there was, what to me seemed like a minor mechanical fault in the transport mechanism. Anyway, took it to Emporium where I bought it (not using the guarantee, I dropped it) and was told to take it to one of their service centers from alist of about 30, written in Thai, because they were about to shut the Emporium store down.

Fair enough, hit on the tiny office in WTC after searching for 1/2 hour climbing escalarors and exploring various annexes -not their fault.

The only staff present, less than enthused about a punter disturbing her meditation and visible relieved that I could explain my predicament in broken Thai, told me to better not leave the camera with her, because she would have to send it on to a service center and it might take a couple of weeks before she could get back to me, and since she wasn't a technician, she wouldn't be able to explain to me what was wrong with it anyway.

I took the hint, and consulted the leaflet with phone no. again.

Wisened up, I let my gf enquire by phone, no problem, just bring it here.

At first attempt, navigating my way through the somewhat illogically numbered subsois, the shop had closed before I got there, but I had succeeded in tracking it down. Second time round, all seemed fine, had my gf do the talking on my mobile (staff understood neither English nor my broken Thai), after a not exceedingly long period I even got a signed receipt slip from the bored but attractive looking thing behind the counter. We will call you back after our technician will have had a look.

Temporary relief.

10 days later we contact the girl in the shop (what I suspect must be a teenage apprentice) again whether it is ready to pick up. It is a serious fault, our technician doesn't know, we send it to main office. We'll get back to you.

1 week and several phonecalls later (us calling her) she announced that they found the fault and i'd have to pay 3000bt in advance. Why? Because many people don't pick their repaired appliances up and they'd have to import spare parts from Japan. If I didn't want it repaired, I'd just have to pay for servicing it. Well, I wasn't planning to walk away from my 35kbt camera, nor to pay for servicing a broken camera, but started to get pissed off.

Dithering a few days, phoning other repair shops and doing a visa run in between, I finally turned up at the shop with the required deposit. I found out that they estimated the cost to be 6000bt and it would take two months. After persistent questioning as to what exactly they were going to repair, the thing behind the counter claimed she couldn't tell me, they'd have to examine it first! My face must have given my true emotions at that point away, because she opened her cabinet and started going through some papers. There it was written clearly in Thai (which I can't read), she was just too lazy to get out of her seat!

Two month later she claimed the service center was still running 'final tests' before they would release the camera.

After a total of 4 months I had my camera back, repaired, with guarantee. And it has started to play up again...

I would not waste so much of my time and spit on a kettle... I'd toss it in the bin and get a new one. Although, with more expensive item like a (TV, etc.) , I would bother to get it repaired or replaced.

I would not waste so much of my time and spit on a kettle... I'd toss it in the bin and get a new one. Although, with more expensive item like a (TV, etc.) , I would bother to get it repaired or replaced.

PENZ; this is the reason that they will not back uo the guarentee on things,,as that is the response that they are looking for.

They give a shit about customer satisfaction,but they do not want to go to the extra trouble to do what it takes.

Most all of us would do the same as you,and until we start to take time to make them do it,it will stay the same.

Just like the time I wanted new ballcock and fittings for the inside of my toilet water tank, They said no have Thailand.

I said Yes have Thailand,I bought the toilet here and I want to order new parts.

They said we only sell toilets,not repair parts.

I said OK ,and sat down,they said what else, I said nothing else,I will just set here til you get on the phone and call your supplier and order the parts.

I sat for awhile and finally someone got on the phone and did the order.

Then they said 600 baht and the parts will be here in 3 days,I said thanks and left.

Came back in 4 days and collected my parts.This was at our local HOME MART store.

They just think that their time is more important than ours.

I think it's often the employees at the counter who just won't bother in certain circumstances.

We stopped at a garage yesterday to change shocks on the car, they said " Well, it's a Hyunday... we'll have to check and see if it needs gas or oil shocks, and we'll have to order parts..." (you mean all the way from Asia???????????)

We'll just go to the usual place and get it repaired with no hassles.

I always ask about guarantees when I buy anything of value - for example, how long does the guarantee last and what must I do when the product goes wrong. I always keep receipts so that if something doesn't work straight away, I take it back the next day and get either a replacement or my money back. One example was the drain hose for my sink that had tiny holes in it all the way down the seam on the side - I got it replaced at Home Pro without problem although it did take ages while various people got involved, the product was inspected and forms filled out.

From my USA experience I would never expect a 'store' to fix something. Most have a replacement policy for a couple of weeks but after that you use the manufactures guarantee at the outlet they list. That you got Robinson to act as your agent in this process I would consider good service from them.

It the not so distant past you would not get any store here to take anything back, much less fix it; so I may have lower standards. :o

Not so much about gaurantees but more about the attitude in Thai shops...........

My wife and I were in the local Big C, and with our loaded shopping cart arrived at the check out.

The items were in the process of being scanned when one item would not scan.The check out girl called the guy on the roller blades to go check the price of the article. Meanwhile she scanned the rest, which were all were bagged and put back in the trolley.

The guy on the roller blades arrived back and said "sorry sir, I can't find the price so we cannot sell it to you.

Fortunately we had been waiting and had yet to settle the bill (which was over 3,000 baht)

I told them "mai pen rai" but see all this stuff in the trolley. Yes, came the answer.

I said well you can take it and put it all back on the shelves, AND I will do the same again next time.

Meanwhile my wife was trying to hide behind her mobile phone.

The result was that we got it sorted, they agreed to sell at the price I quoted it as showing on the shelf, we paid up and then the traffic jam at the checkout started to move again.

Everyone (my wife included) were showing distinct signs of much embarressment. All that is excepting myself.

Same thing (but a bit different) on a visit to the local Robinsons. I picked up four blank VCR tapes and took them to the checkout where when they were scanned came up with a price quite a bit more than that shown at the display stand.

Sorry can't sell them to you at that price. I requested the presence of the manager (of some discription) and she said the same "sorry they have gone up in price and can't sell them at the display price.

I replied well thats Ok but that she should purchase a copy of the Bangkok Post in the coming days because there would be a letter to "postbag" relating the story of Robinson and their lack of customer service and goodwill"

Guess what? because now the items were now strangely availabe at the original price.

We can all regale on our experiences (of like kind) in Thailand but we should not back down.

It's only when Thai businesses begin to understand the meaning of service and integrity (let alone that "the customer is always right") will they modify their attitudes towards the customer and the service that they provide.

Part of the reason is that the majority of Thais will not make a fuss and so the problem is not addressed.

Hehehe, great story RDN, my Big C kettle gave up the ghost on day one with regards to the pouring-water-plunging-device, meaning that for the last 7 months I pump about 60 times for a mug of coffee, its amazing how I've come to accept this as natural and I've now got digits like Arnie's.

Part of the reason is that the majority of Thais will not make a fuss and so the problem is not addressed.

I don't believe any Thai would make a fuss about such little things. And I hope they never do.

I don't believe any Thai would make a fuss about such little things.  And I hope they never do.

Most western foreigners probably WOULD make a fuss about 'such little things'

and how many of us have said things like "its the principle of the matter, I honestly don't really care about the (choose) 10 satang/broken kettle/cold meal/slow service"?

But because we come to expect these things back in our original homes, we carry on like pork chops here, even though the local way to deal with it is more often than not "mai pen rai" let's not embarass our spouse/partner/the sales assistant.

I remember as a child being highly embarassed if either of my parents got their knickers in a knot over something which I considered to be small or not worth worrying about.

Yet I find myself doing the same thing now if something is slightly amiss, especially when following the major ethical value instilled upon me during my upbringing ie The Customer is Always Right.

Cultural nuance, nothing more, nothing less!

:o

Most western foreigners probably WOULD make a fuss about 'such little things'

But if they look more closely it may occur to them that the lack of fuss over little things is one of the plus values of this culture that they most appreciate (when not in attack mode). If you want a smile you should be willing to give one. :o

Had a similar issue with Tesco in Samui, where I bought TV, Surround system, DVD and some other stuff. After a month when the receiver broke down I went to Tesco and wanted them to repair it. They asked me for the warranty card but I didn't have one with me, only the sales slip showing it was only 1-2 months old.

Went back home to search but soon realised that I hadn't got a warranty card for any of the products I had bought at Tesco.

Went back to tell them this but there was no way they would take it back and repair it. The manager wasn't on site so I just left the receiver at the service desk and walked out (after 1 hour of explaining I was so angry I didn't care anymore).

Sent a letter to the manager for Tesco but never received an answer (think he's a foreigner..).

I will never shop anything at Tesco again...

a mate of mine had the same thing with a kettle from TESCO's . he bought it and two days later it failed. When he went to exchange it at tesco's counter and started down a long "call the next one" procedure, until he ended up pretty pissed off already at the manager of the department who told him

"only sell, no guarentee, no fixing". My mate vowed to get his own back and contacted Head office in the UK and Bangkok with his story , treathened to make tesco customer service public.

In the mean time he had fixed his kettle in a local shop for 20 bath (wire came lose).

A week or so later he got a very polite call from tesco asking him if he could come over to pickup his new kettle or did they have to bring it to him :D

He even didn't have to hand over the old one :o

NOW wouldn't it have been easyer for the local tesco to run down to the shop, make the repair, and let's say even charge him 100 bath for transport cost or something ?? WOuld have saved the managers balls kicked in by head office :D

Customer service ??? QUality ??? anybody know the thai translation ?? i'm sure it will be a pretty new word.

:o 'farand tchop poot mahk' :D

It is one of these cultural differences,one needs to find a balance.

But as said before, when it is about the cashier not knowing the price of the instant noodle pack, maybe it would be bettr to adopt the 'maipen rai' attitude.

I won't post another example of a more annoying incident, but when it comes to signing an insurance contract I like to know what it says before I sign.

The Thai attitude of saving face and avoiding embarassement doesn't cease to amaze me on occasions.

:o 'farand tchop poot mahk' :D

It is one of these cultural differences,one needs to find a balance.

But as said before, when it is about the cashier not knowing the price of the instant noodle pack, maybe it would be bettr to adopt the 'maipen rai' attitude.

I won't post another example of a more annoying incident, but when it comes to signing an insurance contract I like to know what it says before I sign.

The Thai attitude of saving face and avoiding embarassement doesn't cease to amaze me on occasions.

I can assure you it was not a packet of instant noodles.

(when not in attack mode). And I wasn't in attack mode either, but rather standing my ground.

I can accept that the girl on the checkout doesn't have a great deal of influence but when the manager does front, he/she is the person to whom the message has to be delivered to. If people in the position where they can influence change (for the better) yet doesn't even know there is a problem in the first instance, there will never be an improvement in the service provided.

But yes there is a balance.

And "mai pen rai" is a whole bunch if sh*t anyway that allows people to opt out of their responsibilities.

It's just one big all encompasing get out clause. If you want to accept 2nd rate service the by all means go with the flow, but that doesn't mean that you're obliged to do so.

It is because there are no consumer laws in this country that this happens.

Pure and simple.

How can AIS stop your phone for excessive calling before they have sent you the bill??????????

It is the way it is. Some push for a refund/repair and eventually it gets done. Most shrug their shoulders and pay a fix-it man to fix and get on with their lives.

A little while back, the Bangkok Post used to run a Consumer Action column every other Monday in the Outlook section of the paper. I always looked forward to reading this column as the response to the average problem was totally unlike what one would experience in any similar circumstance in farangland...

I'm sure everyone has read one of these complaint columns in a Western newspaper, or heard a similar radio or television program: a customer becomes fed up with how a retail establishment is handling a problem and as a last resort they call the "action line" seeking help. The media people look into the complaint with the company in question and suddenly everything is rosy. The offending company cannot do enough to make the customer happy. Not so in the Land of Smiles. More often than not, a response given to the typical complaint investigated by the Bangkok Post was along the lines of the customer is stupid, the customer should know better, we're a big company, more important than the likes of you and nothing is ever our fault (couched in as polite terms as possible of course).

There was a complaint featured in one column about Tesco-Lotus regarding out-of-date grape juice found on the store shelf that was absolutely hysterical. It went back and forth twice between the consumer and Lotus (if the Post's search function is working, try looking for "grapes of wrath"). Lotus would not simply say "sorry you found out-of-date product in our store, we'll try to do better in the future". Instead the response was the customer is an idiot, the customer cannot read, our inventory systems are too sophisticated to allow for this to happen and, thank you for shopping at Tesco-Lotus! :o

Try Kodak!

Bought a camera in 1998 from a shop in Bangna. After 5 years it broke down and wanted it to be repaired. The local Kodak shop told me to pay Baht 500.- in advance. Refused it and went back home. Called Kodak Thailand direct (located on the Viphavadee). They told be to come in. Was there within 30 minutes after I called them.

The manager I spoke to on the phone welcomed me with a coffee. After showing him the Camera (no warrantee) he said that this model was imported by Kodak from the states. They cant repair it! But then the unexpected happened. He told me to go to the Groundfloor at the Kodak shop to Find the newest model or any other I liked. Upon asking him what it would cost me he answered "Nothing, its client service, pick any you want up to Baht 9000.-"

Well, thats what I call service!

Same thing with my mobile phone. Broke down, called the shop where I bought it (6 weeks ago). Same story, pay a deposit and please wait 3 weeks. Didn't do that and called the importer (Sukhumvit 33). Invited me in, showed the guarantee and the thing was replaced within 20 minutes!

No problems, just go direct to the importer! Its saves you time hassle and money.

I don't believe any Thai would make a fuss about such little things.  And I hope they never do.

"Little"? :o Hey, lop, this kettle was 1,850 baht - not cheap by my standards (25 quid?) and certainly not by Thai standards. The cheap replacement electric kettle that I bought to tide me over, went "bang" within days of me buying it and ended up in the bin. And that's when I bought a "whistling" kettle for my gas burner.

...how many of us have said things like "its the principle of the matter, I honestly don't really care about the (choose) 10 satang/broken kettle/cold meal/slow service"?:D

There was certainly an element of principle in my thinking. I'd already consigned the kettle to my mental "TIT" bin, but after finding the Repairs Slip, I thought it would be interesting to follow it up - just to see what Robinson would say to me. The fact that I actually got it back, and repaired, was a real and unexpected bonus. I guess I also wanted to watch them squirm, thinking maybe they would offer an equivalent replacement. But they said to me more than once that it could not be repaired, and yet, here it is working!

It is because there are no consumer laws in this country that this happens...Some push for a refund/repair and eventually it gets done.  Most shrug their shoulders and pay a fix-it man to fix and get on with their lives.

As I lived within walking distance of Robinson's Bangkok and as I pass Robinson's Phuket nearly every day, I didn't consider this as "putting my life on hold", it was almost fun :D.

And if anyone thinks I don't like Robinsons, you are wrong. I have just bought a Sharp Water Heater WH535D from them (5,000+ baht). I feel now that, if it goes wrong, I know the procedure and they know me. They know I'm not a tourist and I'll be around for as long as they will. It'll get repaired, I'm sure!

What do we want?

Often many comments on Thai visa about First & third world country.

With a "mai pen rai" attitude in many of the situations mention in the posts above we will be good fuel for keeping things as they are.

Do we want “mai pen rai” attitude when we look for a construction company to set up our house or when the land officials are checking the land documents.

Should I accept any deal I get, good or bad, because it’s usual with a “mai pen rai” attitude here?

Most things in life are in relation to another, so with “mai pen rai”

:o

Guarantees, customer service, fair profit, equitable settlement, etc are new concepts to the Asian way of doing business. The Asian concept of doing business is charge the most the customer will pay and buyer beware.

If I pulled some of the stunts I have read here, my wife would still not be speaking to me. When confronted with such situations now, I try to just walk away and let her handle it (or not). In my years in Asia what I have learned (the hard way) it is not my mission in life to change the business culture in Asia.

TH

In my years in Asia what I have learned (the hard way) it is not my mission in life to change the business culture in Asia.

TH

It's somehow sad but that is the way most people will see it after many years in Asia. We are required to have a good education background to 'contribute to Thai society' but on the other hand, they really prefer we keep our mouths shut....

Dutchy

i brought a kettle at our local supermarket( this term is used very loosely), the next day it didnt work so i took it back,and got a replacement no problem but same thing, next day didnt work, did this 3 times in total and each time it was no problem to change it.finally i got a refund no problem and got my mother to bring me one from oz when she visited me last...never had a problem with that one.

thinking about it...back home, i rarely had to return goods, but here it seems quiet common.

maybe thailand gets all the rejects.

QUOTE (lopburi3 @ Thu 2004-06-17, 13:23:07)

"Little"?  Hey, lop, this kettle was 1,850 baht - not cheap by my standards (25 quid?) and certainly not by Thai standards. The cheap replacement electric kettle that I bought to tide me over, went "bang" within days of me buying it and ended up in the bin. And that's when I bought a "whistling" kettle for my gas burner.

My comment was about JBG making a fuss, causing his wife shame, when nothing had been bought. I do understand how he felt and have been there myself but managed to give a smile and shake my head, much to the relief of my wife - the message was conveyed but without the loss of face.

My question on your post was using store rather than manufacture for service. I would never consider using a store after return/exchange date passed but it seems you and others do. Perhaps I was living overseas too long if this is common practice among US merchants and never got the word. :o

I think it is the same, around the world. You go to a big department store or the markets like Carrefourr, Tesco and the like, save some money but do not expect any service. Back home, my (84 yo) mother still only buys from the small dealer around the corner, usually family owned and pays a bit more. Something wrong, the guy will come. Had it 2 years ago, Christmas eve, the new TV gave up, noon time the shop owner came, admitted, something wrong and must be done by the factory's guarantee. 3:00 pm came back with a new machine "otherwise your grandson cannot watch TV over Christmas.

It should be the same in LOS.

In BKK occassionally my wife brings home some rotten fruit, egg or other groceries. She checks to dates and the goods from outside. Back home, realized, rotten. (Maybe 2 eggs in a pack of twelve. Next day goes back, no problem, gets a new one. This in Carrefour and in Villa's. And, her Thai is very limited, but here approach is polite.

• 11 months later...

A very simple and trivial similar one happend to me in KFC..

Go in with GF.. she says what she wants (extra spicy hot.. Surprised ??) and I see that one of the combo meals has what she wants and what I want in one so tell her to get that..

We get to the counter and the server obviously is more comfortable to deal with a Thai than me even though I tell her in Thai which combo meal to order.. She then talks to my GF who starts listing what she wants in items instead of a meal.. The girl takes the order as seperate bits and then what do I want ?? I try to clear it up that all we need is combo number X and she then adds that to the list.. No cancell the first individual stuff and just order the combo.. cannot.. Why not.. Cannot cancel the order !! All she had done is press some buttons on the till not start gathering anything..

Trying to remain clear and calm I explain of course she can cancel the order, there has to be a cancel button in there for mistakes, just clear the order and start again... Cannot.. Not possible..

So let me get this straight.. Once a button is pushed thats it.. The customer has no option but to purchase the item even if its wrong.. Yes.. There is no way to stop an order.. No..

I knew this tiny thing was going to make me blow (I havd just been supermaket shopping which I hate and find stressful so was on edge anyway) so in the best interests of keeping all cool I simply proved that an order can be cancelled by saying ok.. Bye..

Little things can get to me..

Heres some choice communication on Thai customer service.. This is The Westin Hotel Soap Story

The following letters are taken from an actual incident between the (very expensive) Westin Hotel in Chiang Mai (where Elizabeth Taylor spent her time between marriages) and one of it's guests. The Hotel ended up submitting the letters to the Chiangmai Gazette.

Dear Maid,

Please do not leave any more of those little bars of soap in my

bathroom since I have brought my own bath-sized Dial. Please remove

the six unopened little bars from the shelf under the medicine chest

and another three in the shower soap dish. They are in my way.

Thank you,

S. Berman

Dear Room 635,

I am not your regular maid. She will be back tomorrow, Thursday,

from her day off. I took the 3 hotel soaps out of the shower soap dish

as you requested. The 6 bars on your shelf I took out of your way and

put on top of your Kleenex dispenser in case you should change your

mind. This leaves only the 3 bars I left today which my

instructions from the management is to leave 3 soaps daily. I hope

this is satisfactory.

Kathy,

Relief Maid

Dear Maid - I hope you are my regular maid.

Apparently Kathy did not tell you about my note to her concerning

the little bars of soap. When I got back to my room this evening I

found you had added 3 little Camays to the shelf under my medicine

cabinet. I am going to be here in the hotel for two weeks and have

brought my own bath-size Dial so I won't need those 6 little Camays

which are on the shelf. They are in my way when shaving, brushing

teeth, etc. Please remove them.

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

My day off was last Wed. so the relief maid left 3 hotel soaps

which we are instructed by the management. I took the 6 soaps which

were in your way on the shelf and put them in the soap dish where your

Dial was. I put the Dial in the medicine cabinet for your convenience.

I didn't remove the 3 complimentary soaps which are always placed

inside the medicine cabinet for all new check-ins and which you

did not object to when you checked in last Monday.

Please let me know if I can of further assistance.

Your regular maid,

Pawn

Dear Mr. Berman,

The assistant manager, Mr. Kensedder, informed me this morning

that you called him last evening and said you were unhappy with your

maid service. I have assigned a new girl to your room. I hope you will

accept my apologies for any past inconvenience. If you have any future

complaints please contact me so I can give it my personal attention.

Call extension 1108 between 8AM and 5PM.Thank you.

Nok Pittayul

Housekeeper

Dear Miss Pittayul,

It is impossible to contact you by phone since I leave the hotel

for business at 7:45 AM and don't get back before 5:30 or 6PM. That's

the reason I called Mr. Kensedder last night. You were already off

duty. I only asked Mr. Kensedder if he could do anything about those

little bars of soap. The new maid you assigned me must have thought

I was a new check-in today, since she left another 3 bars of hotel

soap in my medicine cabinet along with her regular delivery of 3 bars

on the bath-room shelf. In just 5 days here I have accumulated 24

little bars of soap. Why are you doing this to me?

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

Your maid, Kathy, has been instructed to stop delivering soap to

your room and remove the extra soaps. If I can be of further

assistance, please call extension 1108 between 8AM and 5PM.Thank you,

Nok Pittayul,

Housekeeper

Dear Mr. Kensedder,

My bath-size Dial is missing. Every bar of soap was taken from my

room including my own bath-size Dial. I came in late last night and

had to call the bellhop to bring me 4 little Cashmere Bouquets.

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

I have informed our housekeeper, Elaine Carmen, of your soap problem.

I cannot understand why there was no soap in your room since our maids

are instructed to leave 3 bars of soap each time they service a room.

The situation will be rectified immediately. Please accept my

apologies for the inconvenience.

Martin L. Kensedder

Assistant Manager

Dear Mrs. Pittayul,

Who the ###### left 54 little bars of Camay in my room? I came in

last night and found 54 little bars of soap. I don't want 54 little

bars of Camay. I want my one ###### bar of bath-size Dial. Do you

realize I have 54 bars of soap in here. All I want is my bath size

Dial. Please give me back my bath-size Dial.

S. Berman

Dear Mr. Berman,

You complained of too much soap in your room so I had them removed.

Then you complained to Mr. Kensedder that all your soap was missing so

I personally returned them. The 24 Camays which had been taken and the

3 Camays you are supposed to receive daily. I don't know anything

about the 4 Cashmere Bouquets. Obviously your maid, Kathy, did not

know I had returned your soaps so she also brought 24 Camays plus the

3 daily Camays. I don't know where you got the idea this hotel issues

bath-size Dial. I was able to locate some bath-size Ivory which I left

in your room.

Nok Pittayul

Housekeeper

Dear Mrs. Pittayul,

Just a short note to bring you up-to-date on my latest soap inventory.

As of today I possess:

On the shelf under medicine cabinet - 18 Camay in 4 stacks of 4 and 1

stack of 2.

On the Kleenex dispenser - 11 Camay in 2 stacks of 4 and 1 stack of 3.

On the bedroom dresser - 1 stack of 3 Cashmere Bouquet, 1 stack of 4

hotel-size Ivory, and 8 Camay in 2 stacks of 4.

Inside the medicine cabinet - 14 Camay in 3 stacks of 4 and 1 stack of

In the shower soap dish - 6 Camay, very moist.

On the northeast corner of tub - 1 Cashmere Bouquet, slightly used.

On the northwest corner of tub - 6 Camays in 2 stacks of 3.

Please ask Kathy when she services my room to make sure the stacks are

neatly piled and dusted. Also, please advise her that stacks of more

than 4 have a tendency to tip. May I suggest that my bedroom window

sill is not in use and will make an excellent spot for future soap

deliveries.

One more item, I have purchased another bar of bath-sized Dial which I

am keeping in the hotel vault in order to avoid further

misunderstandings.

S. Berman