New Passport/old Visa

My 1 year retirement visa is due for renewal later this year. My UK passport is also getting a bit short on pages, probably won't last another year.

What is the best thig to do........

1. Get new passport now in Thailand and transfer old visa before renewal
  2. Wait until visa renewed in old passport, then get new passport in Thailand and transfer visa
  3. Get new passport whilst back in UK, and arrive at Suvarnabhumi with new blank passport and try to persuade them to transfer visa
  4. Get new passport whilst in UK, come back in with 30 day stamp and start all over again for retirement visa

Any other suggestions appreciated

I have had my current non imm O visa in my old passport while using my new passport for all the entry/ re-entry stamps. I have not had a problem with it. just make sure you make all concerned aware you have a new passport and the visa is in the old one..

My 1 year retirement visa is due for renewal later this year. My UK passport is also getting a bit short on pages, probably won't last another year.

What is the best thig to do........

1. Get new passport now in Thailand and transfer old visa before renewal
  2. Wait until visa renewed in old passport, then get new passport in Thailand and transfer visa
  3. Get new passport whilst back in UK, and arrive at Suvarnabhumi with new blank passport and try to persuade them to transfer visa
  4. Get new passport whilst in UK, come back in with 30 day stamp and start all over again for retirement visa

Any other suggestions appreciated

go with number 1! easy and no risk of misunderstandings at the border.

opalhort

The Visa can not be transferred (AFAIK) but the permission to stay and/or 1 year extension stamps can. So, 1 is fine, and keep the old passport.

I have three passports since being here. The first two expired and the Visa stamp is still in passport #1 and not the other two.

The Visa can not be transferred (AFAIK) but the permission to stay and/or 1 year extension stamps can. So, 1 is fine, and keep the old passport.

I have three passports since being here. The first two expired and the Visa stamp is still in passport #1 and not the other two.

Good point, but what about people who have multiple entry visas valid for a year and need a new PP during the beginning of the year period?

I'm sure there is a way to have the 'validity' of the visa transferred to a new PP.

Once you are on a 1year extension, nobody cares about the original visa anymore.

Yes, keep your old PP even if voided! and carry it with you when travelling. I always do, but have never needed it.

opalhort

I would suggest - what I am doing ...

5) Apply for New Passport in Bangkok one month prior to current extension expiry date

and have Visa details transferred to New Passport AND next Extension processed at the SAME time.

Edited by WilliamIV

Good point, but what about people who have multiple entry visas valid for a year and need a new PP during the beginning of the year period?

I'm sure there is a way to have the 'validity' of the visa transferred to a new PP.

Once you are on a 1year extension, nobody cares about the original visa anymore.

Yes, keep your old PP even if voided! and carry it with you when travelling. I always do, but have never needed it.

opalhort

This is NOT my experience - Full Details of my Original Visa were transffred to the Front Page of my new passport in 2000

Go for option 1, I have done it a few times with non imm "O" multiple entry. I don't know where you are from but on the UK passport application form it asks if you have any visas, if you do they fold over the page and chop the corner of the rest of the passport, leaving your visa page intact. Then go to an immigration office and get them to transfer everything to your new passport, can't remember if they charged me or not, if they did wasn't much.

opalhort

This is NOT my experience - Full Details of my Original Visa were transffred to the Front Page of my new passport in 2000

You are of course correct. I should have said: nobody wants to see the original visa in the old PP anymore.

opalhort