Ubon Ratchathani

jitagon

planning a trip up to ubon ratchathani from which i garner from 'other half' bugger all there, yes well, don't very much mind a change from too bloody much here. anyone can recommend some half decent hotel/guesthouse? not too much out in the sticks as not much time, so convenient locale to see all there is to see. anyone recommend tohsang city hotel mentioned in 'pinned' hotel section? also, would it be practicable to nip over the border into Laos for a look see? maps a bit deceptive. any other information regards general things to go and see very much appreciated. okay with the farang stuff. don't need it. like isaan food. just would prefer not sleep on the floor in something windowless and mosquito ridden. thanks.

There is a place called the ,' Kaeng Saphur Resort', right on the Moon River, that was half decent I seem to remember. A nice place to be for a day, some nice restaurants right on the river, but this is Phibun, a good distance from Ubon City.

From the Market Bus station catch a Blue Bus and it is about an hour to the Chong Mek Border crossing where there is a trading area, which I quite enjoyed.

If of interest, check the spelling of the resort as it is nearly five years since I was there.

On the way back you can pop into Little Pattaya which is nothing like Big Pattaya :o Although again this was five years ago too, somewhere near is also a place I think called Koh Jiem, maybe the name of the District where you can see the Moon and the Mekong meet and at this junction the Rivers change colour.

I found it a good day out taking the family out for the day doing these things.

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

There is a place called the ,' Kaeng Saphur Resort', right on the Moon River,

If of interest, check the spelling of the resort as it is nearly five years since I was there.

Koh Jiem,

A few changes!

Kaeng Saphue Resort, still on the Mun River, and it has the attraction of some beautiful cataracts.

Khong Chiam is 84 Kloms from Ubon.

TAT Office 264/1 Khuan Thani Road 34000

T. 045 243 770

F. 045 243 771

If you get stuck for Accom or other things

Good Luck

Moss

Although I seem to be in a minority on the forum, I've always thought that Ubon was quite good for things to do, especially re a night out on the town. I would stay near the middle of town perhaps at the Laithong or Nevada Grand, or going a notch down, the Pathumrat or Regent. If you want a guide to the local watering holes start in the Swing Party bar and ask some of the regulars. A search on this forum will also throw up some suggestions. The resorts or the Tohsang City Hotel would be good for a more sedate break.

Edited by citizen33

I stayed at the Tohsang hotel in Ubon last month,and found it quite good!

I'd recommend a trip to Khong Chiam....peaceful,good food,and a quick,easy trip to Laos.

I stayed at the Mong Khong guest house(they should change the guest house part of the name,because it's a wonderful teak building/complex). Great place to stay,and they helped out with all trips to Laos/national parks etc.Pattaya Noi is well worth a visit...over-eat ,lie down and relax!

Hello,

The Kaeng Saphue is about 1km outside Phibun Mangsahan on the way to Kong Chiam (on the north side of the river). You can do the return trip two ways, e.g. Phibun -> Kong Chiam (north of river Mun), cross river Mun, -> Chong Mek -> Phibun (south of river Mun). On the south side, at Sirindhorn, is the "little Pattaya" mentioned, which is very pleasant for a slow lunch.

In Kong Chiam the Toh Sang Kong Chiam is very nice, quite expensive - if you don't stay there it is also a nice lunch/dinner spot, overlooking the Mekong.

In Ubon, all the hotels mentioned. If your budget is lower, there are also the Tokyo and Sri Isaan - clean and basic. The main farang bar is Wrong Way, a good, friendly crowd with a pub atmosphere. Behind Wrong Way are rooms to rent for about 350 baht a night - basic but clean and with air con, hot showers - all furniture and bedding is new.

From Chong Mek you can walk or drive to Laos, and there are taxis the other side ready to take you to Pakse. What Phu Champassak is very worthwhile if you like Khmer temples. You can arrange a trip from Pakse, or if you PM me I can give you the phone number of a reliable driver in Laos.

From Kong CHiam you can get a boat trip on the Mekong, they will also take you to a small village on the Laos side with a tacky market and cool Beer Laos.

From central Ubon to Phibun is about a 45 min drive - another 30 minutes or so will bring you to Kong Chiam. You can visit Pha Taem national park to see the cave paintings; a big temple that you see as you arrive at Kong Chiam has some interesting stuff.

Enjoy your visit :o

Cheers,

Mike

somewhere near is also a place I think called Koh Jiem, maybe the name of the District where you can see the Moon and the Mekong meet and at this junction the Rivers change colour.

Yes, that is the Kong Chiam mentioned, and the "bi-coloured river" where the two different coloured streams from the Mun and Mekong join is one of the sights the boat trips include on their itinery.

Mike

edit> typo

Edited by phibunmike

I should mention that the rooms behind Wrong Way are convenient as a short distance from both Wrong Way (100m) and Swing Party House (less than 1km). I don't know the name of the place or the phone number, but if you ask in Wrong Way they will get you a room.

Cheers,

Mike

thankyou to everyone who took the trouble to reply to my post. doesn't sound half as dull as made out, but the other half hasn't been back for some years. promised a trip to the candle festival, but having a hel_l of a job trying to book accommodation for the duration. was advised that a month's notice would be all that would be required, but everything appears to be booked solid, two months before. ah well. may have to stay outside town. mong khong guesthouse sounds very nice, but perhaps a tad far? thanks again.

thankyou to everyone who took the trouble to reply to my post. doesn't sound half as dull as made out, but the other half hasn't been back for some years. promised a trip to the candle festival, but having a hel_l of a job trying to book accommodation for the duration. was advised that a month's notice would be all that would be required, but everything appears to be booked solid, two months before. ah well. may have to stay outside town. mong khong guesthouse sounds very nice, but perhaps a tad far? thanks again.

I hope you can make it for the candle festival, it is amazing what they can create with wax. The whole area becomes very festive, with stalls, food, people, everyone enjoying themselves.

Have a good time.

Cheers,

Mike

I hope you can make it for the candle festival, it is amazing what they can create with wax. The whole area becomes very festive, with stalls, food, people, everyone enjoying themselves.

Have a good time.

Cheers,

Mike

that's what i've heard. other half bit crestfallen about not being able to book anything. tohsang full, laithong, even little sri isaan. if you could think of anything, your being in situ so to speak, guesthouse on the river, bit out of town no problem as will rent transport, would appreciate your letting me know. don't fancy the local wat. thanks again.

planning a trip up to ubon ratchathani from which i garner from 'other half' bugger all there, yes well, don't very much mind a change from too bloody much here. anyone can recommend some half decent hotel/guesthouse? not too much out in the sticks as not much time, so convenient locale to see all there is to see. anyone recommend tohsang city hotel mentioned in 'pinned' hotel section? also, would it be practicable to nip over the border into Laos for a look see? maps a bit deceptive. any other information regards general things to go and see very much appreciated. okay with the farang stuff. don't need it. like isaan food. just would prefer not sleep on the floor in something windowless and mosquito ridden. thanks.

I really liked Ubon.

It has a lot to offer if only because the Mun river runs through it and it is so close to the Mea Khong ( I allways spell that wrong ).

Water is life in that area and Ubon has plenty of it.

We stayed behind The Wrong Way Cafe, it was basic but clean and the cafe makes good food.

On the Mun river in Ubon there is a great place with little huts built out over the river. You can get any food that you want there as long as it is Issan and swim in the river if you want. Not sure of the name but it has a little island and will be easy to find.

Definately do the round trip to Khong Chiam, via hiway2222 and check out the village that makes Kongs ( gongs ), everyone makes them and all you will hear is BONG BONG BONG the whole time you are there. From there on to Khong Chiam and the Mea Khong river. Very pretty and I could have stayed there much longer than we did. We got offered the trip to Laos by slow boat but were told by our Thai friends " to dangerous ".

Down to Chog Mek and across to Laos ( cost me $US30 and no problems ) by foot.

After that we went to the Sirinthom Dam for a very late lunch. Well worth while and then back to Ubon. A day trip.

Some people dont seem to like T.A.T. but in Ubon they were so helpfull and sent us away with an armfull of information, including places to stay. It may be worth getting in touch with them if you want to find somewhere else to stay.

Will post some pics including accom behind Wrong Way.

All the best.

I have been going through Ubon for years now on my way to Yasothorn and nowadays always stay at the Laithong Hotel http://www.r24.org/ubonratchathanihotels.com/isan/laithong/

The Pathumrat has seen better days & is now full of gangsters.

I would recommend the land trip into Laos at Chong Mek and the two colours river.

The food everywhere is great and cheap (especially after Phuket) Enjoy...

BTW are you flying or going by train? The overnight train from BKK is a great experience.

There are about 20-30 small guest houses in Kong Chiam town. When we are on a job there, we stay at the Apple Guest house. 100 baht a night for fan. If we are holidaying, and the clients not paying we always use the Toshang Kong Chiem resort. Fantastic Resort Hotel. They've gone upmarket with the food now as well.

post-14019-1181693644_thumb.jpg

You can also get a boat trip into Laos from the jetty at Kong Chiam. Immigration at the other side costs about 150 baht ( but it does change sometimes)to go in for a couple of hours. All that is there is a market and duty free stalls though. The rest is just jungle. There is also an abundance of fresh fish to be bought along the main street of Kong Chiam.

At the top of the hill is the 'White Wat' If you go in and ask the monks, they will show you around. At the back and down the steps is a hall with about twelve gold painted Buddhas in it. Behind that is a vault with real Gold Buddhas in it. We were just allowed a peep through the door crack. It is a fantastic Wat though.

When in Kong Chiam, you must eat at one of Boat/barge restaurants. One of them is exceptionally good and cheap. Unfortunately it's the one that is always full. The others are not bad though.

Here you are also in easy reach of the four national parks in the area.

post-14019-1181694212_thumb.jpg

post-14019-1181694275_thumb.jpg

post-14019-1181694302_thumb.jpg

post-14019-1181694354_thumb.jpg

Also a trip to eat at 'Little Pattaya' as it is known to some people, (although I don't know why) is a must.

post-14019-1181694483_thumb.jpg

In the rainy season, a lot of the tables are under water though.

post-14019-1181694831_thumb.jpg

Have a good time.

Cheers,

Mike

that's what i've heard. other half bit crestfallen about not being able to book anything. tohsang full, laithong, even little sri isaan. if you could think of anything, your being in situ so to speak, guesthouse on the river, bit out of town no problem as will rent transport, would appreciate your letting me know. don't fancy the local wat. thanks again.

Sorry for not replying earlier, been away a bit. Send "wrongway" a pm and see if he can book you a room behind the wrong way.

By the way, Phibun (near Kaeng Saphue, and mentioned by kc_phil) is my nearest town, I live just outside the "bong bong" village (some of my family are in the "bong bong" business).

I would not worry too much, I am sure you will find some accommodation...

I would do more to help, but I am overseas at the moment.

Cheers,

Mike

again, thankyou to everyone taking the trouble to reply, and also the very nice photos from vegemite (not sure if a wattery bed in dave's locker would be up the other half's street - but very lovely all the same), but whole thing now been scuppered by son deciding out of the blue he wanted to enter wat for khao pansah, the inauguration of which took place last saturday, so no one to take care of assorted pets. sort of put the tin lid on this year, what with all bookable hotels being full. even the little ones (which i prefer - not partial to resorts - think the writer of The Prisoner - uk tv series - got the idea from a stay at (probably) the first resort in the world). and so. will look to book something NOW for at least the first night or two for NEXT year, if aforesaid son has not decided on the monastry being his calling. thanks again. am sure this thread has also been of help to others looking for something off the beaten track.