Don't Panic, The Kids Are All Right After All

Mid

Don't panic, the kids are all right after all

Sat, June 23, 2007 : Last updated 0:46 am (Thai local time)

For the past few years it has been strict educational policy to get Thai kids to think for themselves and develop their analytical and critical abilities.

And this effort was furthered last week by the planned introduction of aptitude tests for university hopefuls beginning in the year 2010.

Excuse me for saying it, but it's far from a secret that most educators place no value whatsoever on critical thinking and keeping an open mind. From the first grade, students are taught to "repeat after me", recite a few sums, and believe every word that comes out of their teachers' mouths in quiet obedience. Should one of them even dare to question a teacher, he will be on the receiving end of a boot out the door.

snip

So, let us and not just the Education Ministry get a grip on reality and realise that the youth of today are only a reflection of the world we have brought them into.

If the Education Ministry wants to teach Thai kids to think for themselves, then they ought to realise first that they would be in an extremely difficult Catch-22 situation.

Stephen Cleary

The Nation

Suphan Buri

Stephen Cleary is the co-founder of www.thai-blogs.com.

Stephen Cleary

post-12676-1165052305.gif

Fair enough comment Stephen, and I'm sure no harm was intended. It is normal forum policy to delete drop-links to external blogs, but some mods may not be aware of your background and affiliation with The Nation.

I'll bring up the subject in the mods forum so all will be aware.

Credit where credit is due.

:o

Good article by the way...

it all starts at home especially common sense...

This is the most underated comment. A child's education probably has just as much if not more to do with the home front than just plain schooling....

Good stuff.. :o

Soundman.