Eyes Deceiving Me?

cmsally

Really didn't want to open another burger topic, don't even like the things. But did my eyes deceive me the other day or did I really see a Mike's burgers about ready to open on Silom Rd? Or is there some other chain with the name Mike's?

Really didn't want to open another burger topic, don't even like the things. But did my eyes deceive me the other day or did I really see a Mike's burgers about ready to open on Silom Rd? Or is there some other chain with the name Mike's?

CM sally, you are right. its opened at Silom Soi 1. Same owner of the Mike's chain of burgers. And I wish him all the best. Good man.

TB

CM sally, you are right. its opened at Silom Soi 1. Same owner of the Mike's chain of burgers. And I wish him all the best. Good man.

TB

Would that be Brian or another franchise owner?

TB

Would that be Brian or another franchise owner?

Brian.

Yea, excellent burgers.....but a little too big for me, would be good if he 'downsized' a little and offered a 'mike's junior'.

i hate leaving food behind and don't like to ask for a doggy bag, as burgers are best hot.

TB

IT is NOT OPENED yet. I went by there today anticipating the taste of a Mikes Burger in Bangkok and they are still working on the interior. :o The seats are not installed but the restaurant appears much larger than the "stand" in Chiang Mai and suspect it will have seating for 20 or more people.

All the outdoors signs are up and looks like the exterior plastic sign maker was the same one used in Chiang Mai.

There are several large posters advertising that value meals ordered during July will automatically be upgraded to the LARGE value size free. Great offer, but if they dont get those workers moving faster, no one will be placing orders in July.

Hopefully only another week or two I suspect... Please hurry!!

I'm born and grew up outside the english speaking world. Maybe there is somebody, who can explain to me, what's the magic of hamburgers? I had a lot of hamburgers in my life, but I couldn't say I ever had one I really liked. Usually I only had them, because I had no other choices or I was in a hurry.

It starts, when you bite into the bun. It's like biting into cotton wool. Then your teeth touch the meat. It's usually completely tasteless. The only taste comes from the ketchup or whatever they put on top of the fried ground meat.

Please don't misunderstand me. I don't want to criticize anybody. I'm just curious.

There is no magic, I was raised on beef and potatoes, along with veggies and dont remember eating hamburgers until we were teenagers out on the town (mid 50's) It was a fast snack as we were always hungry. I guess when people started eating out it was the kids meal or a quick meal for family. I have eaten good hamburgers but by todays standards, they were served by greasy spoon type places, the buns were home made and you got ground round as a patty. I agree most hamburgers are very bland, even being from US, I seldom eat the things,now I could get you good ones back home where you still have places that serve only hamburgers, chili, and hot dog, the only other choice is potatoe chip yes or no. They are beer bars and in my travels I found they were the good place to eat. Just my take on hamburgers.

Good food is good food. Bad food is bad food. Fast food burgers are bad food made from cheap ingredients. There are such things as burgers that taste of good bread and good beef, and those are the ones I want to eat when I have a burger (rarely both in Thailand and in my old US life). What we call in the US, 10 dollar burgers, although the price isn't really the point, the point is they have some distinction that separates them from McDs style.

See the food slideshow to view some mouthwatering burger food:

http://www.thevortexbarandgrill.com/TheVortex/index.htm

Edited by Jingthing

The best burgers in the US are found in small local bars and feature things like toasted buns and raw onions. The fast food ones barely deserve the name.

Having dissed fast food burgers, I must say I am partial to the occasional White Castle slider.

Edited by qualtrough

All it is is a collective longing for home on the part of expats (I include myself!) who have some favorite food item that reminds them of the place they left.

A guy who I met a week ago at CMU; was going to do volunteer work (English conversation with BA philosophy students), just up and moved back to the US. The Prof told me he was "homesick". <deleted>?

Maybe if this dude had eaten a burger or 2, he wouldn't have moved back to the Land Of No Smiles.... :o

For Aussies it's Tim-Tams (or VB!)

The English treasure their Marmite, or Royal Stilton

We heathen Americans like a good burger, or good pizza once in a bit. Keeps me happy, and most important, here. In Chiang Mai! :D

McG

The website www.mikesoriginal.com says it will open on the 20th

Strange that this thread came up..........I was in Chiangmai in May, stayed at a Guest House near the one nearish Thapae (??!!)gate so walked past more than a few times...........

Never stopped to eat........BUT, I noticed it usually had a few customers at mosttimes of day which surprised me for what looked to me just a small and simple fast food joint with a typical enough menu, and I tried to understand why.........I realised that it was just a really straightforward idea done well and the food was what the target market wanted.......and then I thought, maybe I will copy it down in BKK!!

As for the magic of burgers, I used to hate them. Then I had a good one and I got hooked on them again. My rancher relatives in Montana makes great hamburgers. I'm not hooked on them anymore, actually, but theirs are quite good and tasteful.

• 6 months later...

Good to see we've moved onto Bangkok, the best burgers in Chiang Mai was getting a little restricted :o

Edited by anonymouse

Ahh!! so it is the same Mike. Good luck to him.

Maybe this is the start of a Chiang Mai invasion - as also saw a Wawee Cafe almost ready to open near Aree BTS station!

The Wawee near Aree is open now and it is huge and comfy! apparently there are 3 branches in BKK now. nothing like finding a fresh "Ueng Fa dom yen" in BKK.

The website www.mikesoriginal.com says it will open on the 20th

Strange that this thread came up..........I was in Chiangmai in May, stayed at a Guest House near the one nearish Thapae (??!!)gate so walked past more than a few times...........

Never stopped to eat........BUT, I noticed it usually had a few customers at mosttimes of day which surprised me for what looked to me just a small and simple fast food joint with a typical enough menu, and I tried to understand why.........I realised that it was just a really straightforward idea done well and the food was what the target market wanted.......and then I thought, maybe I will copy it down in BKK!!

Well, Bill Heinecke succeeded well enough with franchise style pizza to become the only Westerner on the 'richest people in Thailand' list, so the next step after pizza would be hamburgers I guess.

Once that's covered, the next market would be tacos/tex mex as Mike probably theorized as well when he opened Miguel's, although Mexican food does not seem to have the same appeal to the local market - at least not yet.

If somebody could come up with a good fast food style sushi franchise, it has higher potential to hook Thais and foreigners alike. Fuji and Zen are quite successful already, but they don't do fast food.

So a smaller menu focusing on the most popular Japanese-style things, and dishes streamlined according to US fast food philosophy...

Once that's covered, the next market would be tacos/tex mex as Mike probably theorized as well when he opened Miguel's, although Mexican food does not seem to have the same appeal to the local market - at least not yet.

add some condensed milk and sugar, shhh... don't tell mike.

speaking of which, The Duke's original branch has a lot more Thais dining there compared to say, just one year ago. at least it seems that way to me.

:o

speaking of which, The Duke's original branch has a lot more Thais dining there compared to say, just one year ago. at least it seems that way to me.

Message for Moderators, can you please put a stop to any more NEW posts on the subject of hamburgers for at least a couple of months, it's getting beyond a joke! :D

'Thaihog' date='2008-02-12 17:57:56' post='1814809']

can you please put a stop to any more NEW posts on the subject of hamburgers :o

It is pretty obvious that a lot of members are interested in hamburgers.

Why should a subject that so many people enjoy be forbidden, just to keep a few pretentious phonies happy?

All they have to do is stop whinging, ignore the posts that displease them and read something more to their liking. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

:o

Message for Moderators, can you please put a stop to any more NEW posts on the subject of hamburgers for at least a couple of months, it's getting beyond a joke! :D

If they do that there won't be a Chiang Mai forum.. :D

What else ever happens around here ? :D