Sloppy Bangkok Policemen Are Being Ordered To Wear Bright Pink "hello Kitty" Armbands.

WaiWai

Reuters don't allow reproduction of their reports but the headline is " 'Hello Kitty' armbands to shame bad cops " - should take you straight there with a search.

Officers who are caught dropping litter, parking illegally or arrive late for work will have to wear the arm bands, which feature the Hello Kitty cat sitting on a pair of hearts :o .

The idea is to build discipline by not allowing less serious offences to pass unnoticed.

Fair enough - but why Hello Kitty ? What's the message about shame, exactly ? That they are silly, fluffy officers ? That Japanese cartoon characters are naughty ? Why the twin hearts ?

And did they get permission from Hello Kitty inc. ?

From the BANGKOK POST:

060807_front.jpg

A pink ''Hello Kitty'' armband wrapped around a khaki-clad arm is shouting for attention at the police Crime Suppression Division.

It is a new disciplinary measure introduced especially for police investigators who refuse to play by the rules.

Starting this week, the warning will come in the form of the popular Japanese cat cartoon sitting on a heart on a pink background.

''The same old warnings no longer work for some officers,'' CSD acting chief Pongpat Chayaphan said.

''This new approach is intended to engender a feeling of guilt and discourage them from repeating the offence.''

Pol Gen Pongpat said 10 armbands were available. In addition to wearing it, a first-time offender must accompany the officer rostered as deputy chief of the day. That means walking to all parts of the CSD office, and being seen wearing the armband.

The wearers are prohibited from disclosing their offence with other officers or discussing the armband.

In the case of a second offence, a panel comprising 18 warrant officers will decide on an appropriate punishment, which could be standing guard, or detention, or even a harsher penalty. This would have to be approved by the CSD chief.

Pol Gen Pongpat said police must practise self discipline. Otherwise, their behaviour could get out of hand to the point of abusing the law or mistreating the public.

''Like a thief, once the first crime is committed the next one is always a worse offence,'' he said.

Offences liable to earn an officer the pink Kitty include failing to report for duty, parking in a prohibited area, fighting, or being the subject of a complaint about poor service.

Policemen see it as a bitter pill to swallow. Most agree it would be quite embarrassing to have to wear the pink armband, which stands out in vivid contrast against their uniform.

"Offences liable to earn an officer the pink Kitty include failing to report for duty, parking in a prohibited area, fighting, or being the subject of a complaint about poor service. "

.....does that mean 90% of them are wearing the "Kitty" tomorrow???

:o

If this is not a wind up it is a disgrace, what a retarded attitude, no wonder the cops are crap with management like that. Shaming wasn't recommended on any management course I ever attended.

Which courses you have been? I believe it is one of the basic "unwritten, untold" principle of management. If you have ever worked in any big company, you should be aware of this. :o

If this is not a wind up it is a disgrace, what a retarded attitude, no wonder the cops are crap with management like that. Shaming wasn't recommended on any management course I ever attended.

Which courses you have been? I believe it is one of the basic "unwritten, untold" principle of management. If you have ever worked in any big company, you should be aware of this. :o

Maybe in a classroom full of 8yr olds Mr Teacher.. :D

There is a difference between unwritten untold rules and priniples. But even the most unprincipled of companies will send people on management courses, and the courses that I have been on have always said that this type of behaviour is not recommended. In certain countries now, you would probably be able to sue the company if they did this to you.

I don't adocate bad work performance, but this really is a pretty poor attempt at improving performance. What's the betting that this "Hello Kitty's" become a badge of honour.

It would seem that the BIBs have attended a Management course for 8 year olds.

Anyway, the story cheered up my day after I'd spat my tea out of my mouth in fits of laughter.

no .. i bet that they are custom made and insukt to injury the coppers have to buy their own - from some special little mafia set up so it costs b4000 for the band. now THAT is thailand.

Possible.

Still wondering what the "Hello Kitty" copyright owners think of this.

When I first read it in BKK post I thought <deleted> are they thinking about!!??

Got on line, the story was in CNN, Reuteur, BBC. No wonder many nations do not take Thailand seriously. Don't know whether to laugh or cry. The long overdue reform or the overhaul of the police force is needed NOW :o

Reuters don't allow reproduction of their reports but the headline is " 'Hello Kitty' armbands to shame bad cops " - should take you straight there with a search.

Officers who are caught dropping litter, parking illegally or arrive late for work will have to wear the arm bands, which feature the Hello Kitty cat sitting on a pair of hearts :o .

The idea is to build discipline by not allowing less serious offences to pass unnoticed.

Fair enough - but why Hello Kitty ? What's the message about shame, exactly ? That they are silly, fluffy officers ? That Japanese cartoon characters are naughty ? Why the twin hearts ?

And did they get permission from Hello Kitty inc. ?

Dropping litter, illegal parking???!!! Shock horror!

What about the always smiling clone in tight uniform who's always stopping my car and asking for 200 baht?

To me a kitty is either a pussy of the feline kind or a collection of cash, a slush fund.

Since the most important aim within the police should surely be to eradicate universal corruption, surely the stickers should instead read, "Goodbye Kitty"!

Andrew Hicks