Retirement Visa Deposit

Hi I'm about to start arragements for applying for a retirement visa. I have a Uk pension and by my calculation (800,000 B - 12 x monthy pension ) leaves about 460,000 deposit required. What do people think, I want to make immigration happy I can afford to deposit more but would like to keep something in my high interest uk account.

The money does not have to be in a Thai Bank for the initial application, in theory you cannot open a Thai Bank account untill you have your non-immigrant O visa. The money has to be in Thailand for your subsequent annual renewals. You must take original documents from your UK bank to the British embassy in Bangkok to prove that you hyave the eqivalent of 800,000 Baht on deposit.

The money does not have to be in a Thai Bank for the initial application, in theory you cannot open a Thai Bank account untill you have your non-immigrant O visa. The money has to be in Thailand for your subsequent annual renewals. You must take original documents from your UK bank to the British embassy in Bangkok to prove that you hyave the eqivalent of 800,000 Baht on deposit.

I think you are getting some things mixed up there kelvinj.

If the OP is applying for a O-A visa in his home country then you are right that the money doesn't have to be in a Thai bank. But in that case the British embassy in Bangkok wouldn't be involved.

If on the other hand the OP is applying for a one year extension in Thailand then the money does have to be in a Thai Bank. The British embassy in Bangkok would then certify his pension, but the deposit in a Thai bank would be confirmed by a letter from he Thai bank.

Sophon

The following is from the Royal Thai Consulate website, Hull, England.

I'm looking at going through this procedure myself, I believe that you enter Thailand on a non-imm O visa and then go to the Bangkok British Embassy for verification of your documents, you then go to Thai immigration to convert your visa to a non-imm O-A. I don't know if the link below will get you to the pdf. doc. but most of the info is there

RETIREMENT FINANCIAL CERTIFICATE

A person applying for retirement status in Thailand needs to be able to demonstrate that they

have adequate financial means to support themselves during their retirement because they

have no recourse to Thai public funds for hospitalisation, etc.

The current financial requirements are the equivalent to an income of 800,000 baht per annum

or 65,000 baht per month. Applicants who do not receive an income / pension must be able to

demonstrate that they have an amount equivalent to 800,000 baht in a bank account. Monies

do not have to be paid into or held in a Thai bank.

So that the applicant is able to satisfy Thai Immigration that they can meet the financial

requirement and be granted retirement status they must visit the British Embassy in Bangkok

in person together with full documentary evidence to support their financial position including

pension, etc. Only the original documents will be accepted. The applicant must also show

their Birth Certificate. If staff at the British Embassy in Bangkok are satisfied that the

applicant ’s financial situation meets the requirements for granting of the Non-Immigrant

Category “O -A ” (retirement) Visa they will issue a letter confirming this which the applicant

must present to Thai Immigration when applying for retirement status in Thailand.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Af%20%20...Application.pdf

So that the applicant is able to satisfy Thai Immigration that they can meet the financial requirement and be granted retirement status they must visit the British Embassy in Bangkok in person together with full documentary evidence to support their financial position including pension, etc. Only the original documents will be accepted. The applicant must also show their Birth Certificate. If staff at the British Embassy in Bangkok are satisfied that the applicant ’s financial situation meets the requirements for granting of the Non-Immigrant Category “O -A ” (retirement) Visa they will issue a letter confirming this which the applicant must present to Thai Immigration when applying for retirement status in Thailand.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdfs/Af%20%20...Application.pdf

It is interesting to see how even a Thai consulate can get the terminology so wrong.

There are two possible routes to retirement in Thailand:

1. Starting with a non-immigrant visa category O-A

a) At the Thai consulate, apply for the non-O-A visa, purpose of visit “retirement in Thailand”

B) Travel to Thailand.

c) At an immigration office, apply for an annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement.

2. Starting with a non-immigrant visa category O

a) At the Thai consulate, apply for the non-O visa, purpose of visit “investigate retirement possibility”

B) Travel to Thailand.

c) At an immigration office, apply for an annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement.

In both cases, the requirements of the immigration office are the same, as outlined in Paragraph 7.21 of National Police Order 606/2549.

To answer the question of Midgeley20: transfer to Thailand the amount necessary to arrive, combined with your pension, at the required 800k Baht, but remember that until you make the application the balance must never fall below the required amount. Therefore, since you will need money to live during the 3 months while waiting to make your application, you will obviously want to transfer more than the minimum amount required. Then every subsequent year, 3 months before the next application for extension, top up your Thai bank account to bring it again to the necessary level.

--

Maestro

To answer the question of Midgeley20: transfer to Thailand the amount necessary to arrive, combined with your pension, at the required 800k Baht, but remember that until you make the application the balance must never fall below the required amount. Therefore, since you will need money to live during the 3 months while waiting to make your application, you will obviously want to transfer more than the minimum amount required. Then every subsequent year, 3 months before the next application for extension, top up your Thai bank account to bring it again to the necessary level.

--

Maestro

I believe that this is not entirely true. Since Midgeley appears to want to apply based on a combination of income and deposit, as I understand the rules, the money for the deposit doesn't need to be "seasoned" for three months. If I'm right about this then all that would matter is that the amount in the bank isn't below the required amount on the day of the application.

But of course as you mention the OP would still need money to live on during the 2-3 months between his arrival and his application for an extension.

Sophon

Confusing eh? but I still think Hull have got it right for the initial application, as I said in my first post, in theory you cannot open a Thai bank account untill you have your non-imm O visa, how do you transfer your money with no bank account?

Since Midgeley appears to want to apply based on a combination of income and deposit, as I understand the rules, the money for the deposit doesn't need to be "seasoned" for three months.

I’m not sure about this myself and in the end it may depend on the immigration officer handling the application.

--

Maestro

I can see where one could get confused with the information from the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull: even *they* mix up the terminology.

An O-A Retirement Visa is never issued within Thailand. It is only issued by Royal Thai Embassies, and some RT consulates, overseas (i.e. not in Thailand). The final quoted paragraph from the Hull web site indicates an O-A visa will be issued in Thailand. It will not. An extension for the purpose of retirment will. That may be a fine distiinction, but it can be the cause of many a confused potential applicant, as seen here before on ThaiVisa.com.

[While I was composing a long -- some would say "tedious" <g> -- reply, I see that Maestro nicely outlined most of what I was going to say. I'll just post what I had written that he didn't direclty cover.]

I have a web page (The express lane to a Thai "Retirement Visa") explaining the process of changing a 30-day visa-waiver stamp to a Non-Immigrant O visa with an extension for retirement. I'm a US citizen, but the process would be the same, except that you need to visit the British Embassy in Bangkok for the letter of income verification, not the US Embassy.

As usual, the "YMMV" (Your Mileage May Vary) disclaimer applies, as each office, and in fact each officer in a given office, may apply the rules differently. e.g. There have been reports of a medical report required even for application of extension in Thailand.

Confusing eh? but I still think Hull have got it right for the initial application, as I said in my first post, in theory you cannot open a Thai bank account untill you have your non-imm O visa, how do you transfer your money with no bank account?

"In theory," perhaps, but there are many banks that will open a savings account for a farang on even a 30-day visa waiver stamp. If the first bank you go to declines, simply go to another. I had three different SCB bank accounts before I ever had a Thai visa in my passport. A couple friends of mine have Bangkok Bank savings accounts with only visa-waiver stamps, as well.

Weren't there a few reports of people being given a 30-day "under consideration" stamps by Immigrations to be able to season the money for three months in a Thail bank? i.e. They entered on tourist visa, opened a Thai bank account, then applied to Immigrations but since their tourist visa would expire before the money had been here for 90 days, they got the "under consideration" stamp.

Hull has definitely got the part wrong about the money not having to be in a Thai bank when applying for an extension in Thailand. It's only when you apply for a O-A visa (effectively a visa with a pre-approved one year extension) in your home country that the money can also be in yor home country.

I don't think you will find many who disagree on this point.

Many people already have an bank account in Thailand before they come here to retire, as they have normally been visiting for many years before they take the plunge. And if they don't, the Immigration authorities have been know to give an extension of a few days to allow the funds in the bank to mature.

Sophon

...the process of changing a 30-day visa-waiver stamp to a Non-Immigrant O visa with an extension for retirement...

That’s the third route, and I forgot to mention it. In fact it is the most practical route, I believe, in cases where money has to be in a Thai bank 3 months before the application for extension.

a) Travel to Thailand without visa

B) quickly open a bank account and transfer the required amount of money into it

c) towards the end of the 30 days’ permission to stay, apply for change of visa status to non-O, which gives permission to stay for another 90 days (counting from the date of application of change of visa status, I believe)

d) when the money has been in the bank for 3 months, apply for the extension of stay for retirement.

--

Maestro

c) towards the end of the 30 days’ permission to stay, apply for change of visa status to non-O, which gives permission to stay --

Maestro

I don't mean to nit-pick :o but isn't there a rule saying that you have to have at least 21 days (or something like that) left on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to be able to change visa status to non-O?

Other than that I totally agree that this could be the most practical way for people without a bank account in Thailand

Sophon

Sophon, you’re right, and you are right in pointing it out; it is a very important point.

That gives one just 7-10 days, ie 5-8 working days (if there ore no public holidays), to open the bank account and get the money transferred into it. Hurry! Hurry!

--

Maestro

1. O-A visa obtained on resident country and provides a one year permitted to stay stamp on arrival - medical and police clearance required and money in home country account. Extension in later years as in 2 below.

2. Arrive with O visa and extend for retirement. 800k in Thai bank account (3 months) or 65k income or combination. Using combination has not required the 3 month wait but as said I would not push that too much. Proof of funds/Embassy letter/bank account/bank letter primary requirements.

3. Convert/obtain non immigrant visa. Needs 21 days or more remaining on entry and an extra 2,000 baht step.

Clear as mud as the saying goes. This has been my experience throughout of conflicting and confusing 'facts'. It seems that even the Thai authorities such as the consulate in Hull and immigration here have different takes.

Just to clarify my status as many were postulating situations not applicable to me. I have a non immigrant o visa multiple entry valid until June 08 for purposes of exploring retirement obtained from Hull. I am living here in Chiang Mai am over 50 have funds in the bank (and a monthly income which includes my pension but also some UK earnings), Don't need a job, don't have a criminal record, debts or bad health blah blah I just want to stay!

You need to meet the 800k requirement using combined method - it will not hurt to have it a little above as you never know what the exchange rate on your pension income will be in advance. But other that allowing for that there is no reason to keep a million baht in your account to make anyone feel better about it.

Just as a matter of record you can only obtain an O - A retirement visa in the UK from the Consulate in London.

Does anybody know if it's still possible to get the Non-Immigrant O-A visa from the consulates in the USA? I know that as recently as last year, the Chicago consulate and Honolulu honorary consul issued them.

Also, is it a consulate in London, or the embassy?

Just as a matter of record you can only obtain an O - A retirement visa in the UK from the Consulate in London.

Does anybody know if it's still possible to get the Non-Immigrant O-A visa from the consulates in the USA? I know that as recently as last year, the Chicago consulate and Honolulu honorary consul issued them.

Also, is it a consulate in London, or the embassy?

I can't speak to a specific consulate, but if the embassy web page says your consulate for your geographical area is Chicago, or any other one, just ask them. If they say no, then use the DC embassy. The rules would be the same, yes, so what's the issue?

When an Embassy is indicated what you visit is the Consular Section for visas and such. Often they are co-located but some times - as the US Embassy in Bangkok - they are at a different location.

I believe US Consulates act as collection agents in the O-A visa process but approval is from Embassy (it used to have to be approved in Bangkok but believe that may no longer be required).