Driving On The Left..

Totster

After stumbling across a thread in another forum a question was asked...

Why do the Thais drive on the left hand side ? ( not exactly how it was worded )

Now the only explanations I can come up with are as follows -

1... It could possibly be something to do with the British colonization of Burma

2... It could be to do with the Japanese in Thailand during the 2nd world war

3... I read somewhere once that certain things in Thailand like the use of Chairs and Forks where a result of the Kings ( not present king ) fascination with the English way.. is it possible then that driving on the left was alos a result of this fascination.

These explanations are the best I could come up with and could be nothing to do with the real reason.... does anybody know the history as to why the Thais drive on the Left... I would be interested to know..

totster :o

Related topic

Q: Why do the Thais drive on the left hand side?

A: Ah...........because most residents of Thailand are ex-Brits or Aussie's? :o

Q: Where in US do they also drive on the left?

A: In the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix and St. John).

^ (good free-drink bet question)

The left way to do it, is actually the right way to do it...that is why.

Not where I come from .

Im ok at it but after a few Chang's and I have to make a turn , at time's it does give me a wakeup ...........When everyone is on the wrong side of the road ! :o

Left is really the right way to do it. The Romans introduced the left-hand rule so when they lashed the horses the whip wouldn't decapitate a pedestrian, most people being right-handed (think about it).

Right-handed driving came about because Napolean won a battle where he wheeled his troops to the right, instead of the accepted left. He forced the continent to drive on the right to commemorate his victory. Didn't affect us as we're not on the continent. :D

Any country that drives on the right is, therefore, genuflecting to a French tyrant. :o

Left is really the right way to do it. The Romans introduced the left-hand rule so when they lashed the horses the whip wouldn't decapitate a pedestrian, most people being right-handed (think about it).

Right-handed driving came about because Napolean won a battle where he wheeled his troops to the right, instead of the accepted left. He forced the continent to drive on the right to commemorate his victory. Didn't affect us as we're not on the continent. :D

Any country that drives on the right is, therefore, genuflecting to a French tyrant. :o

Almost correct as I know it... please read this link Related topic

Anyway the question still remains, Why do the Thais drive on the left ? What is the reason ?

Totster :D

Interesting question and sorry, I neither know the answer.

Japan cannot be it, although somebody told me the Japs drive left, because the Samurais walked there so as not to get contact with another samurai's sword.

Anyway, I always drive on the right side and overtake on the left. Most important, when making a left-turn start from the far right line.

I thought it was convenience when drawing your sword to fight someone coming the other way down the road.

Never heard the whip story before.

NB Most civilised nations drive on the Left!!

Im ok at it but after a few Chang's and I have to make a turn , at time's it does give me a wakeup ...........When everyone is on the wrong side of the road ! 

It's alright to get pissed and kill yourself, but think of the innocent people out there that you might kill. :o:D:D:D:D:wub: As they say in Oz, "If you drink and drive, you are a bloody idiot".

NB Most civilised nations drive on the Left!!

What about the USA? :o

Or, don't we say in English 'right or wrong'?

Understand that approximately one quarter to one third of the world's drivers drive on the left-hand side of the road.

Most of the countries that drive on the left are former colonies, but USA, Canada as former British colonies, use the right side.

Japan and Indonesia as well as Thailand drive on the left side, seems nobody knows why.

Usually, you are steering your car with a wheel oposite to the road rules. Means, left hand drive has right hand steering and v.v.

But the most popular cars in Japan (drive left) have left-hand steering. Oh well.

Don't Singapore and Malaysia also drive on the left? So wouldn't that mean that it was more convenient for all 3 countries to drive the same seeing as they have land borders? I'm guessing Singapore and Malaysia might drive on the left because of the British connection.

mmm...Somebody mentioned Burma using the left hand side. When I do my border hop at Mae Sot/Myawaddy, everyone in Myawaddy uses the right hand side of the road. Is Myawaddy different to elsewhere in Burma or has Burma changed to the right nationwide?

Gazza

This is an interesting question.

There's the fact that the British were all around the bordering countries of Thailand with their left sided driving. There's also the possibility of Japanese car companies infiltrating the market first.

On the other hand, the French also had a strong influence in countries neighboring Thailand as well. So, hmm, yeah, I dunno.

Is Myawaddy different to elsewhere in Burma or has Burma changed to the right nationwide?

Gazza

I thought Burma (Never can spell Myanmar) changed to the right side around 1970. There seems to be a story that their Premier had a 'dream' and was told in it to move to the right. Perhaps he mixed politics up with traffic.

Sorry, even in Burma we might know why they drive where, not in Thailand.

After stumbling across a thread in another forum a question was asked...

Why do the Thais drive on the left hand side ? ( not exactly how it was worded )

Now the only explanations I can come up with are as follows -

1... It could possibly be something to do with the British colonization of Burma

3... I read somewhere once that certain things in Thailand like the use of Chairs and Forks where a result of the Kings ( not present king ) fascination with the English way.. is it possible then that driving on the left was alos a result of this fascination.

These explanations are the best I could come up with and could be nothing to do with the real reason.... does anybody know the history as to why the Thais drive on the Left... I would be interested to know..

totster :o

Related topic

Well I am not sure of the relevance of Burma as they drive on the RH side of the road.

And I understood that Japan was likewise.

OK, I see we're making progress with the driving bit.

What side do I walk on for people approaching me on the sidewalk? :o

This confuses me too. Somehow I make it past them, but am not sure if I'm being the rude farang!

When you leave Ploenchit BTS to walk towards Wireless Road, the walkways are clearly labeled (even with a center dividing line) to walk to the RIGHT.

Did the American Embassy staff sneak up there at night and do this? :D

kenk3z

I stand corrected about Japan driving on the left.

Some years back a bunch (Japanese) of them came to my LH drive country to work on a projectand they had no end of accidents. I thought that it was because they had to relearn the road rules.

Anyways just because Henry made a lot of cars where did the first one come from.

I don't know the answer to that.

BUT it would be nice if it were uniform around the world but I don't think we are gonna see that.

Massive costs involved, and as someone said that Thais drive on the LH side the RH side and in the centre :o