Cannot Login Bangkokpost.com

joka

Are your cookies enabled? :o

Mine are, I have no problem with other password-enabled websites. Chances are that the Bangkok Post has their website set up in some wonky, non-standard manner that would require some major re-tuning of my Internet Explorer configuration settings. I cannot imagine that their website categorically does not work but from all of the complaints I have seen posted since the Post switched to password-based access, it's obvious that they do not test their design work very carefully.

figured it out, its my opera browser. this browser may have some glitches, but disabling all pictures from websites sure makes this 56k connection a lot quicker! plus i have the non - java edition, maybe the java edition would work with the Post.

hi'

oh java enabled, that was it?

I always enable it, so many script written in java ... :o

tip : if you are with a firewall that can disable scripts ... just disable VBS ones ...

quite no one use this now ... java is far better, perl and others are a no problem :D

cheers

francois

hi'

oh  java enabled, that was it?

I always enable it, so many script written in java ... :o

tip : if you are with a firewall that can disable scripts ... just disable VBS ones ...

quite no one use this now ... java is far better, perl and others are a no problem :D

cheers

francois

I disabled Java and Java Scripts in "firefox", and the Smilies stopped working in my posts on Thaivisa! I was trying to figure out why sometimes Thaivisa is very slow at loading (56K modem, 42.6 connection speed) and often at the bottom of the page it says "waiting for pagead2.googlesyndicate.com". I thought maybe I could block these advertisements and get a quicker link... Any thoughts on this, francois?

hi'

RDN, could you try to block popups, or set them blocked for some site ...

if you have a firewall, could try to set the adds off ... like with ZoneAlarm.

disabling java, just block a lot of scripts usefull for some site to be displayed properly,

I'll check on my firefox ... with "windows" of course, for you all :D

sorry, I don't have this kind of problem .. running a 1mb line :o

I'll try a few combinations of settings .. and I'll tell you ... soon :D

cheers

francois

Edited by francois

hi'

well well ...

I have tried two different setup with firefox on Linux ....

1- block popups from thaivisa

2- unblock popups from thaivisa

the only difference, is it load a "bit" faster when block them ... a real slight difference :o

tried same with firefox on win, block popups with ZA, the pages load normally ...

might be, just a question of connection speed ...

anyway, java enabled

I try now without java ...

see you in a minute

francois

hi' it's me again ...

java disabled ...

smilies don't work :D

seems that java is needed :D

francois

ps: have to write them ... cannot just click on them -_-

like this one :wub:

francois

jave is needed!

:o:D:D confirmed! (jave enabled) cn click on them

Edited by francois

hi' it's me again ...

java disabled ...

smilies don't work :D

seems that java is needed  :D

francois

ps: have to write them ... cannot just click on them -_-

like this one :wub:

francois

jave is needed!

:o  :D  :D    confirmed! (jave enabled) cn click on them

After I posted my previous post, I did a google on "pagead2.googlesyndicate" and found that it was discussed on another forum with reference to a Firefox extension called "adblocker". So I got the extension installed and added that "pagead2" web site, and.... so far, no more hangups!!

I think other people will be interested in this extension, too. Now I will play with it, adding other web sites to see the effect.

Thanks again for your efforts.

RDN

Edit:

PS. Regarding your first post, I did have pop-ups blocked.

PPS. Under "Clickable Smilies" to the left of this 'Enter Your Post' box, the 'Rolleyes' smilie just says 'smilie' - no picture. Strange.

Edited by RDN

hi'

RDN, could you try to block popups, or set them blocked for some site ...

if you have a firewall, could try to set the adds off ... ....

Hey francois - this adblocker extension in Firefox is excellent! I hope this won't get me into trouble, but I've managed to block all the adverts on Thaivisa, so each page loads much quicker now - even while I'm listening to Radio Bangkok! :o

RDN, Adblocker is great. Just be aware that with some sites it has a bad effect on functionality. If all of a sudden a site doesn't work properly yet it did before, then Adblock is the first thing l check.

Yahoo! mail is one such site. It's best to block items one by one rather than block everything, to see what you can get away with.

hi'

that's right, the firefox extension's page is rich ...

a lot of them, more that what we surely need :o

the adblocker, popup blocker are great ones, but as any extension, they need to be well

configured, as highwayman said, it's better to block object one by one, like this, you won't have any bad surprise :D

and, it allows you to indentify adds and popups from their original source :D

francois

hi'

that's right, the firefox extension's page is rich ...

a lot of them, more that what we surely need :o

the adblocker, popup blocker are great ones, but as any extension, they need to be well

configured, as highwayman said, it's better to block object one by one, like this, you won't have any bad surprise :D

and, it allows you to indentify adds and popups from their original source :D

francois

Yes francois. What I do now - when I go to a new site - is click on the "Adblock" link at bottom right and see if any image or script looks like it doesn't belong to the web page I want to view. Some of these listed URLs are very helpful and include phrases like "/ads/' in them, or else the name is clearly that of the sponsor. Very helpful! Click, gone! :D