Mintmobile eSIM

NanLaew

Looking for a US mobile number that I can use for 2FA, my US PayPal, Google voice and other US business-related tasks while travelling outside the US.

I have a Nokia G60 that supports eSIM and a web search suggests that mintmobile have a decent introductory offer and a pretty good reputation regarding service and assistance.

Anyone with experience using mintmobile? I am interested if the activation needs to be done over a US network before it can travel overseas as was my recent experience with my updated SIM from EE in the UK.

If the eSIM does need to be activated in the US, can that eSIM subsequently be uploaded onto my phone and work as normal over here? Since you probably can't have the same number on two phones, is there a deactivation or 'transfer' operation to do that and is it supported when roaming?

Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Looking for a US mobile number that I can use for 2FA, my US PayPal, Google voice and other US business-related tasks while travelling outside the US.

I have a Nokia G60 that supports eSIM and a web search suggests that mintmobile have a decent introductory offer and a pretty good reputation regarding service and assistance.

Anyone with experience using mintmobile? I am interested if the activation needs to be done over a US network before it can travel overseas as was my recent experience with my updated SIM from EE in the UK.

If the eSIM does need to be activated in the US, can that eSIM subsequently be uploaded onto my phone and work as normal over here? Since you probably can't have the same number on two phones, is there a deactivation or 'transfer' operation to do that and is it supported when roaming?

Thanks in advance.

I have two phones with accounts ,one with  mintmobile $15 pm and a Ultra paygo $3 pm. I have no knowledge about esim. Mintmobile has  a app with live chat! Probably better to ask questions and get detailed answers there imop

good luck

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, riclag said:

I have two phones with accounts ,one with  mintmobile $15 pm and a Ultra paygo $3 pm. I have no knowledge about esim. Mintmobile has  a app with live chat! Probably better to ask questions and get detailed answers there imop

good luck

Thanks. Did you set these up in the US before heading overseas?

Thanks.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Is Mint still owned by the Green Lantern?

Sold to T-Mobile.

A quick review (reddit) indicates that the eSIM needs to be activated in the U.S., where you can get a T-Mo signal.

A quick review of Mint Mobiles page doesn't indicate that the Nokia G60 is eSim compliant with their service. https://www.mintmobile.com/esim/#compatibility-checker

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If the eSIM does need to be activated in the US, can that eSIM subsequently be uploaded onto my phone and work as normal over here?

My best guess: No.

Assuming you have friends/family in the U.S. get one to

register Google Voice for you

buy an UltraMobile SIM, activate it and then mail it to you  https://www.ebay.com/itm/115758895840?hash=item1af3c492e0:g:yaIAAOSwPzJkLJ2l

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

A quick review (reddit) indicates that the eSIM needs to be activated in the U.S., where you can get a T-Mo signal.

A quick review of Mint Mobiles page doesn't indicate that the Nokia G60 is eSim compliant with their service. https://www.mintmobile.com/esim/#compatibility-checker

Assuming you have friends/family in the U.S. get one to

register Google Voice for you

buy an UltraMobile SIM, activate it and then mail it to you  https://www.ebay.com/itm/115758895840?hash=item1af3c492e0:g:yaIAAOSwPzJkLJ2l

Thanks for that follow up, much appreciated.

Yes, getting a UltraMobile SIM on eBay and getting a friend to activate and send to me was an option I explored earlier.

The Nokia G60 isn't marketed in the US, so my guess is it wouldn't come up as any sort of listed device. However, it is a fully eSIM compliant handset and that technology isn't unique to the handset manufacturer. I understand that it's a QR-code driven/activated set up.

• Like 1

I have an eSim from Mintmobile. I bought the plan for exactly the same reasons you did and have been using it whenever I need to reply to a US SMS code.

I set it all up from Thailand, using the Internet.

As soon as I bought the plan, I bought $10 of International Roaming to receive the texts here.

I've had it about a year now, and it has worked flawlessly. I normally have the Mintmobile eSIM turned off. If I need to do a transaction with a US bank, I turn on the eSim and wait for the text, respond, and then turn the eSim off. My initial $10 International Roaming credit is now something close to the original $10. In other words, I've used very little of it.

I definitely recommend Montmobile and its eSIM system.

Edited by FarangRimPing
  • Thanks 2

I've been using Mint since last May, switching from Ting, which didn't support eSIM. I have the cheap 5GB per month plan.

I had to activate the eSIM when I was in the US. I tried activating in Thailand (and on a stopover in Doha) and couldn't. Once I landed in Chicago, it took about 10 minutes to activate. 

I've been happy with it. I'm in the US this week and I have found that in some rural areas the service can be spotty (but perhaps that's also true with other carriers). The wifi calling works well. When out of the US but connected to wifi, phone calls via wifi calling are free. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2023 at 12:38 PM, NanLaew said:

Thanks in advance.

Mint Mobile -solved my 2f authentication    BUT I had the sim card activated while in the US    165$ for 12 months

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

I have an eSim from Mintmobile. I bought the plan for exactly the same reasons you did and have been using it whenever I need to reply to a US SMS code.

I set it all up from Thailand, using the Internet.

As soon as I bought the plan, I bought $10 of International Roaming to receive the texts here.

I've had it about a year now, and it has worked flawlessly. I normally have the Mintmobile eSIM turned off. If I need to do a transaction with a US bank, I turn on the eSim and wait for the text, respond, and then turn the eSim off. My initial $10 International Roaming credit is now something close to the original $10. In other words, I've used very little of it.

I definitely recommend Montmobile and its eSIM system.

@DFPhuket said earlier that activating it wasn't possible here or in Doha and was only possible once it registered on a US network. When you say you set it all up from Thailand, I am assuming the ordering process and receiving the eSIM was all online but that also included 'installing' and activating the eSIM while in Thailand?

I am not arguing your experience, just looking for some clarity.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Mint Mobile -solved my 2f authentication    BUT I had the sim card activated while in the US    165$ for 12 months

Specifically SIM or eSIM?

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

@DFPhuket said earlier that activating it wasn't possible here or in Doha and was only possible once it registered on a US network. When you say you set it all up from Thailand, I am assuming the ordering process and receiving the eSIM was all online but that also included 'installing' and activating the eSIM while in Thailand?

Thanks.

Thanks.

sim and here's the interesting thing -they wanted to send me a new sim card because it wasn't working in my old I phone but that wasn't the issue -once I put it back in my new i phone it worked.

• Like 1

I've been using the Mint e-sim for almost a year now and it works flawlessly so far.  I activated while in Thailand using a Samsung Galaxy S22.  I did the application on a PC and then used the Mint QR code to install the Mint e-sim on my phone.  Was much easier than I expected.  As someone else stated you need to add $10 to the roaming (up-roam) to receive OTP's.

You don't want to use the data while roaming because it's very expensive.  I use my Thai sim for data.  I mostly have the e-sim turned off while in Thailand but when I need an OTP I just turn the e-sim back on.  I used it when I went back to USA (California) and it worked great.  No loss of coverage.

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks.

Thanks.

I did it ALL from Thailand. My last trip to the US was more than 5 years ago.

I did it all from the internet, online. Bought the package, bought the $10 International Roaming credit. Installed the eSim on my Samsung S21 Ultra Plus 5G. eSim, as I mentioned previously. Then activated it while in Thailand. 

That's the process I used, successfully. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kimothai said:

I've been using the Mint e-sim for almost a year now and it works flawlessly so far.  I activated while in Thailand using a Samsung Galaxy S22.  I did the application on a PC and then used the Mint QR code to install the Mint e-sim on my phone.  Was much easier than I expected.  As someone else stated you need to add $10 to the roaming (up-roam) to receive OTP's.

You don't want to use the data while roaming because it's very expensive.  I use my Thai sim for data.  I mostly have the e-sim turned off while in Thailand but when I need an OTP I just turn the e-sim back on.  I used it when I went back to USA (California) and it worked great.  No loss of coverage.

Thanks for the information.

I will only turn it on when I am expecting 2FA and the like. I live here so my AIS data package is what I use.

40 minutes ago, FarangRimPing said:

I did it ALL from Thailand. My last trip to the US was more than 5 years ago.

I did it all from the internet, online. Bought the package, bought the $10 International Roaming credit. Installed the eSim on my Samsung S21 Ultra Plus 5G. eSim, as I mentioned previously. Then activated it while in Thailand. 

That's the process I used, successfully. 

Again, thanks for coming back and confirming that it can be done while out of the US.

5 minutes ago, FarangRimPing said:

Perhaps the people who could not activate the eSim while overseas did not buy the International Roaming package before they tried to activate the eSim.

It does seem to be the likely reason why others struck out.

Thanks, all very helpful and reassuring.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2023 at 10:18 AM, bamnutsak said:

Based on replies here, and Reddit, it sounds like you CAN purchase and activate a MintMobile eSIM here in Thailand.

But you need to purchase international credits aka UpRoam ($5 minimum) when setting up your account. This enables international roaming on your eSIM, which allows a connection to AIS or DTAC (T-Mos partners here) which then allows activation.

I think all MintMobile plans include WiFi calling. But you may have to enable it and have a compatible phone.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2023 at 8:35 AM, NORDO said:

VYKE

Vyke is a good solution. My US bank accepted it for 2FA, but I had a struggle registering it as my primary PayPal US number. AFAIK, Google voice doesn't accept any VOIP numbers (like Vyke) when signing up.

Edited by NanLaew

On 12/31/2023 at 11:32 AM, NanLaew said:

Followed the procedures as mentioned by others of activating the mintmobile account and then adding up roaming BEFORE installing the eSIM.

Grats! I tried to follow the advice given but can't.

I tried to register on the website AND on my iPhone, even allowing face ID after downloading the phone app. Face ID required confirmation on my number on initial use though but it's a Thai iPhone and not accepted. And of course They need the QR sent to the phone you'll use, my Thai iPhone.

On their website there's no 'register' html or tab. Their chatbot didn't understand 'create account' or 'register'.

Also, trying to buy the plan I didn't see an option to add roaming before checkout, so I bailed.

LOL now Mint Mobile has blocked me, too many attempts I guess?

Edited by ding

On 12/31/2023 at 9:30 AM, NanLaew said:

Vyke is a good solution. My US bank accepted it for 2FA, but I had a struggle registering it as my primary PayPal US number.

My experience with Vyke; the places I do business with won't send an OTP/2FA to a voip number.

I was only able to call one bank on their 1-800 toll free line with it.

19 hours ago, ding said:

Grats! I tried to follow the advice given but can't.

I tried to register on the website AND on my iPhone, even allowing face ID after downloading the phone app. Face ID required confirmation on my number on initial use though but it's a Thai iPhone and not accepted. And of course They need the QR sent to the phone you'll use, my Thai iPhone.

On their website there's no 'register' html or tab. Their chatbot didn't understand 'create account' or 'register'.

Also, trying to buy the plan I didn't see an option to add roaming before checkout, so I bailed.

LOL now Mint Mobile has blocked me, too many attempts I guess?

Did you try registering via desktop? No app needed. The downloading of Phone apps are often restricted by location. Sometimes a particular app has different versions, depending on location. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I did the sign-up and purchase on their website, not on the smartphone. No idea about the facial recognition, as I was never asked for this on my android handset.

The key is not conflating the need to activate the account with registering (activating) the SIM in the phone. Do step 3 before step 4.

1. Select the package you want.

2. Pay for it and activate the account, during which you get the option to select your US number which will be based on the home/billing address you provide.

(have a cup of coffee)

3. Log in to your active account and purchase the up-roam option. Get confirmation

(have another cup of coffee)

4. Scan the eSIM's QR code into your smartphone and add the eSIM (it will initially say "temporarily unavailable")

(have another coffee)

5. The eSIM will be registered on the Thai networks.

(beer time!)

6. Download their app to your smartphone and enjoy.

The coffee breaks are so you don't panic or bolt the process since you are overseas and their systems are updating. You may get a SMS from them asking if it was you accessing your account from an unknown location. Just respond with "ALLOW" and it's all good.

Also note that at no time was a VPN of any sort required. My internet here is via a DTAC 4G netsim.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Are you folks aware you can no longer buy international roaming from them? (At least I couldn't )  You now must but a 1 ,3,or 7 day pass and once you activate it the clock begins to run. Mint didn't ell me this I saw it on a reddit chat site.  Initially I called and asked them to put another $20 on my international roaming-for some reason their site wasn't allowing me to add my credit card so I had to call. The agent said do you want me to add $20 to international roaming -i said yes ,she took a few minutes came back and said it's done.Later when I went on my account there was a purchase of a 3 day pass. BS

22 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Are you folks aware you can no longer buy international roaming from them? (At least I couldn't )  You now must but a 1 ,3,or 7 day pass and once you activate it the clock begins to run. Mint didn't ell me this I saw it on a reddit chat site.  Initially I called and asked them to put another $20 on my international roaming-for some reason their site wasn't allowing me to add my credit card so I had to call. The agent said do you want me to add $20 to international roaming -i said yes ,she took a few minutes came back and said it's done.Later when I went on my account there was a purchase of a 3 day pass. BS

I just received notice from Mint that they are canceling my International Roaming, forcing me to use their new (expensive and inconvenient) plan.

So I will now purchase a plan from someone else and transfer my Mint phone number to the new carrier.

Such a disappointment.

• Like 1