Warning To Those Who Use Nationwide

Barclays introduced the same thing a little while ago. It's a bit of a pain in the neck as you need to have it with you to use many internet banking functions, but it is quite small, and for me I don't use the account much at all, and it seems like a good security measure. But for people who travel a lot and/or access their account very frequently it could be quite inconvenient.

Well im on a year break so it will be interetsing to see how we sort this one out.It says you have to ring them if your out of the country till May and alternative arrangements will be made.Cant see them sending the new card out here though.Bloody pain.....

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to Nationwide ref new card and card reader. No need to worry as current flex account debit card will still be valid. The only problem is with online banking in that if you want to set up a new arrangement it will not be possible without the new card and card reader.

According to messages I have been sent by Nationwide if they send you a new Visa Debit card you can use the old card for up to 99 days in ATM and POS (shops) - then it will stop working.

You will need the card reader to carry out certain on line transactions 21 days after it is sent to you. You can make transfers within nationwide without the card reader - I assume flex to e-save transfers or possibly to other nationwide accounts.

Of course, Nationwide won't tell you when they'll send the replacement card, so, without warning, your Internet banking will stop working - and a few weeks later you won't be able to access your cash.

When I queried them about the available options, they basically said there are none. I'll have to go back to the UK to get my replacement debit card. So much for customer service. If it weren't for the free cash withdrawals I'd be closing my account with them.

I spoke to Nationwide ref new card and card reader. No need to worry as current flex account debit card will still be valid. The only problem is with online banking in that if you want to set up a new arrangement it will not be possible without the new card and card reader.

I concur, I too spoke to Nationwide and it is as Phil says. Use of the cards in ATMs will not be affected. The card reader is only for online use

Could be a problem with a Thai address and this card reading for online purchases. I tried to buy my grandaughter's birthday present via a uk business and the security system wouldn't accept the address, a phone call to the business sorted it and paid via phone(HSBC offshore account card used).

Has anyone actually told Natiowde they live in Thailand, providing a Thai address? Interesting to know. On thir faqs page they say if you're living abroad you don't need to do anything, they'll be writing to you.

yep did justn that, ohhh, a year or so ago. the story is i took money out of the bank hear los, the bank clerke didn,t return the card, got home before i woke up. returned to said bank and they claim they gave it back, so a quick cancelation, ring n/w, ok we,ll send a new card to the account address. sorry can you send it to me here, no it must go to the account address, ok can i change my address, yes. changed my address and recieved the new card here no probs. by the way ive not heard from them yet ref this latest cuffufle.

Has anyone actually told Natiowde they live in Thailand, providing a Thai address? Interesting to know. On thir faqs page they say if you're living abroad you don't need to do anything, they'll be writing to you.

yep did justn that, ohhh, a year or so ago. the story is i took money out of the bank hear los, the bank clerke didn,t return the card, got home before i woke up. returned to said bank and they claim they gave it back, so a quick cancelation, ring n/w, ok we,ll send a new card to the account address. sorry can you send it to me here, no it must go to the account address, ok can i change my address, yes. changed my address and recieved the new card here no probs. by the way ive not heard from them yet ref this latest cuffufle.

Did you have to show proof of address here in Thailand when you changed this? Not easy to do if required. How did they send the card?

I down loaded their form from internet banking for change of address and was sent a message to pop into my local branch and provide a electronic signature. After a telephone call to local branch and one of their call centres, everything sorted.

I also noticed on their change of address form that they (NW) will not send mail to a PO Box, which I used to have at my towns post office ( In LOS) due to mail going missing.

Have to concur with a previous poster if it was not for free ATM/Credit card purchases abroad I would bin them too. They have some strange working practices. I have had mortgages/bonds/ ISA's with them for several years.

Recently I had a big verbal with them about their antiquated methods reference the Swift/Chaps transfers and why they could not be like HSBC. Answer - 'We are working on it!'

I concur, I too spoke to Nationwide and it is as Phil says. Use of the cards in ATMs will not be affected. The card reader is only for online use

Hi

I too was expecting a problem,so I e-mailed Nationwide asking them to confirm that I will be able to continue to get my cash at ATM's in Thailand. I have cut/pasted their reply below, so its information straight from the "horses mouth", so to speak :-

As you have your registered address recorded as your address in Thailand, you will not be issued a card or card reader during the roll out of this facility. You will continue to use the smart authentication/5 security questions on the Internet Bank as opposed to the Card Reader Security.

We'll see if it all goes 'tits up' on the coming few months :D:o:D

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Picked up a couple of N/W security Card readers today so wife can take them out tomorrow for the nieces to play with in Sam P.

Gotta check the link above and find out how to use them but shure they will work it out before me.. :o

Picked up a couple of N/W security Card readers today so wife can take them out tomorrow for the nieces to play with in Sam P.

Gotta check the link above and find out how to use them but shure they will work it out before me.. :o

When you say 'picked up' did you go to a N/W branch and ask for them or were they sent to you?

Did you have to show proof of address here in Thailand when you changed this? Not easy to do if required. How did they send the card?

no, no proof of add, just normal personal info over phone to satisfy themselfs. arrived by normal post if i remember, not sure on that as i cant remember what happened yesterday. sorry

I never told Nationwide that I live in Thailand, and use my UK "accommodation address".

2 weeks ago they sent a new Flex card, which they advised me had to replace the existing card within 99 days. I transferred all the money from my Flex account to their e- savings account PLUS the full amount of the small overdraft they have allowed me.

Then with the account empty, had the card sent to Thailand -ordinary unregistered post - which arrived safely 4 days later. Once here transferred money back to the Flex account.

No sign yet of the card reader, but this I understand is not necessary if I only use the Flex card for ATM withdrawals

• 1 month later...
Point to note - this only applies to those using a Visa Debit card. If you have the Flex Account "cash card" then you are not affected.

Totster :D

Hi Totster - are you sure about this? I don't use the cards they send me - the new ones are still in England :D. I just use internet banking to transfer money around.

Do you know if I cancel my cards will I be able to avoid using this Card Reader gizmo?

I'll PM you too, in case you're not monitoring this topic any more :o .

Point to note - this only applies to those using a Visa Debit card. If you have the Flex Account "cash card" then you are not affected.

Totster :D

Hi Totster - are you sure about this? I don't use the cards they send me - the new ones are still in England :D. I just use internet banking to transfer money around.

Do you know if I cancel my cards will I be able to avoid using this Card Reader gizmo?

I'll PM you too, in case you're not monitoring this topic any more :o .

De je vu JetsetBKK

My FlexAccount Cashcard(as Totster calls it) is a combined debit card&ATM card and the words 'DEBIT CARD' are printed on it in the bottom right corner(valid from date is 01/07 BTW). As for usage of this :- see parallel post above in General Section

Dave :D

Looks like I've got the "Debit Card", because that's what it says on my old one that expired in 2002 :D. I know there are some new cards waiting for me in England and I guess they are also debit cards.

I'll see what Nationwide has to say - I've sent them a message via their website.

Anyone know if there is a Nationwide branch in Thailand? :o

I never told Nationwide that I live in Thailand, and use my UK "accommodation address".

2 weeks ago they sent a new Flex card, which they advised me had to replace the existing card within 99 days. I transferred all the money from my Flex account to their e- savings account PLUS the full amount of the small overdraft they have allowed me.

Then with the account empty, had the card sent to Thailand -ordinary unregistered post - which arrived safely 4 days later. Once here transferred money back to the Flex account.

No sign yet of the card reader, but this I understand is not necessary if I only use the Flex card for ATM withdrawals

Nick, did they just send the card to your home address in the normal mail? Last time my Nationwide Flex account card was renewed they asked me to be in to sign for it.