Korat Immigration Claim Cm Immigration Office Will Be Closed

kudroz

Thought it would be good to have a thread here with the link to the thread in the Visa forum. It hasn't been confirmed yet though.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167699

......and I can't see it being confirmed either. Where do these rumours originate?

For you`re sake I hope it is a rumour. I think there is a bit more to it than that.

When a legit lawer company gets information from Immigration Officers there maybe something in it.

They were correct about the Korat office planned closure.

Edited by Lite Beer

I spoke to the Immigration police earlier this evening and they were completely in the dark about the rumoured closure. Let's say for argument's sake that it does close........What would happen to Chiangmai's status as an international airport with no immigration? I can't quite see all the international carriers shutting up shop......

As I just replied in the referenced thread,

I don;t believe everything in wikipedia, and surely there are more than 148,000 people inside the moat in Ching Mai. During Songkran, there may be that many people IN the moat. I've lived in enough metro areas to think CMai has close to half a million if not far more, in Amphur Muang and its adjacent amphurs. I can believe they might streamline operations, maybe demote the local office chief from colonel to Lt. Col, but not eliminate the office.

Who is more likely to know the inside info about Chiang Mai: a farang lawyer in Isaan, or a high officer in Chiang Mai?

Thought it would be good to have a thread here with the link to the thread in the Visa forum. It hasn't been confirmed yet though.

......and I can't see it being confirmed either. Where do these rumours originate?

For you`re sake I hope it is a rumour. I think there is a bit more to it than that.

When a legit lawer company gets information from Immigration Officers there maybe something in it.

They were correct about the Korat office planned closure.

maybe they are closing the office but another facility like inside the airport or maybe even 7-11 can handle visa extensions. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever unless there are some replacement avenues or major changes in immigration rules.

There is another immigration office behind Home Pro/Carrefou (sp?) that currently performs some immigration functions and, according to the employee I talked to, will (may?) someday handle the visa work currently being done by the airport. Whether or not this actually happens, it may be the source of the rumor (i.e., the airport location will close).

These "rumours" as many of you call them are NOT unsubstantiated or unreliable.

Several people in Korat have spoken to Immigration and been told the same thing. Korat, Hat Yai and Chang Mai offices are up for closure.

Isaan Lawyers posted in good faith what they have been told by Immigration officers.

In Korat Immigration asked for a copy of the petition against the closure to be left at the Immigration office for visitors to sign.

Draw your own conclusions... :o :rolleyes

Isaan Lawyers posted in good faith what they have been told by Immigration officers.

I'm sure they did, and there would be no reason to suggest otherwise, but my question still remains....With no immigration, how does Chiangmai function as an international entry and exit point?

I'm sure they did, and there would be no reason to suggest otherwise, but my question still remains....With no immigration, how does Chiangmai function as an international entry and exit point?

Couldn't they only operate immigration at the airport with no other access beside for flyers? :o

Or the question is, what does 'closed' mean? Just that the existing local office will be replaced right away by another Chiang Mai office? Only the office granting extensions and 90-day reportings? The entry point for international arrivals?

There is already another immigration office near Carefour, they are actually the head office for this region, and there was some mention that they might allow persons to do business there, however it seems too small to replace the one near the airport.

• 4 weeks later...

Now for a brief clarification of the situation from "a senior immigration officer":

The Immigration Police office in Chiang Mai which is closing is the NEW 'overall northern administration' office behind Carrefour, which opened less than 2 years ago. The facility near the Airport is unaffected.

The only (very) recent change at the office near the airport is that when long term expats sign in every 90 days, we now go to the building on the right, at the far window to the right, close to the (recently extended and improved) toilets!

You da man, p1p...you're a Pip of a man!

I have to do a 90 day on Monday. I already knew about the move to the right side building, but was not aware of the far right window info.

Very informative, thanks a lot!

But, where were you. I were there from 11.05 to 11.11 and didn't see anyone that even slightly looked familiar with the situation... However, particularly aimed at guys, who read Danish - the Immigration office at Chiang Mai now proudly offers "Ekstra Bladet" while waiting. (don't any Dane ever complain about CM immi services, while I'm listening). - (For those that don't read Danish - there are a lot of skinny clad chicks in that lunch-newspaper, it actually did keep me half an hour after I had my stamp secured - so, better hurry down to your local immi-office while present services still available).

Edited by Cyberstar

My guess: Offices in provinces that *ARENT* international ports of entry (air/sea/land) AND aren't major tourist centers may be considered to close.

Then some lawyers or even immigration people in Khorat themselves forget that both Had Yai and Chiang Mai have international airports as well as land (and in the case of Had Yai) sea borders.

It's completely impossible to close those; Chiang Mai borders Burma; Had Yai borders Malaysia AND has a port in/around Songkhla.

• 2 weeks later...