Canada Vistor Visa Query

Hi folks!

I am planning to visit canada soon for tourism and I need to apply for canadian TRV. Has anyone experience with canadian embassy here in Bangkok? How strict is the visa policy compared to UK and Schengen visa?

How are the embassy environment and officials there? are they helpful or moody?

How long normally they take to give the decesion about the visa? Is there any inteview required?

I have a job of 30K salary, is it good enough too show? and how much bank balance to show?

Please share your experiences in details and be kind to give me any related information that might come into helping!

Thank you for your kind help. I am eagerly waiting for some inputs from this great community.

I obtained a tourist visa for my (Thai) wife from the Canadian embassy in Bangkok and they were efficient and helpful. Just give them all the documentation they request. They want to see that you have enough money to support yourself while in Canada, and that you have sufficient ties to Thailand to convince them that you'll return to your country. Having a good job is definitely helpful. Owning property in Thailand is even better. Usually they require a personal interview, but they make decisions on visas fairly quickly (compared to the USA for example). Good luck.

I brought a girl from Lao over to Bangkok and got her a Canadian vistors visa. They gave her 6 months. A lot easier than I would have thought. I am a PR of Canada and noted that she would be visiting me. That wasn't so as I was living in Thailand full time at the time. No real problems.

Thanks.....it is great to know they are helpful! will having a usa visa first help?

Dont they issue multiple visa for long period like usa?

The girl in question, I was unsuccessful in obtaining a USA visa for her. It was much more difficult. To answer your question, it is my opinion, that if you were to already have received a USA visa, the Canada one would be no problem whatsoever.

My husband(Thai) has received two TRV visas from the Canadian embassy in BKK.

We prepared a 30 page binder with anything and everything possible. When it came down to the interview the first time. She basically told him nothing in the binder could prove that he would return. They had a 45 minute interview and she said she believed him and granted him a 3 month visa. The second time he did not need an interview and was given his visa no questions asked, within two days. Dropped off the application and picked up the visa the next day. The first time was different because we were not in BKK so took a little longer also because he had an interview.

Basically you need to prove that you will leave Canada when you are supposed to. If you have already had a visa for the US and returned within the time allotted that will definitely be a huge advantage.

The women you give your application to at the window is a bit scary, beautiful but intimidating!

Good luck!

will having a usa visa first help?

I think for Canada, US, Australia, EU, and UK it will always help if you have a visa from one of the other countries previously and returned without overstaying. I think they figure that if a person is trying to get to the west and they made it one of those countries, they would have stayed illegally. So if they got there and returned, then they would probably also return from any other country on the list.

Thanks for your posts friends! I was just windering do they issue multiple TRV for one yeae or more? becasue I have multiple usa visa for longer period, if I receive so for canada, it will give me good flexibility in my travel plan.

45 minutes interview! owww thats quite long!

Any folk has any other suggestion for me?

Thanks for your posts friends! I was just windering do they issue multiple TRV for one yeae or more? becasue I have multiple usa visa for longer period, if I receive so for canada, it will give me good flexibility in my travel plan.

45 minutes interview! owww thats quite long!

Any folk has any other suggestion for me?

Yes, I have a suggestion for you -- read the information on the Canadian Embassy and Immigration Canada websites. You'll see that they do offer multiple entry visitor visas. But if you are planning to stay for a year or more, expect some hard questions at your interview. But since you say that you've already obtained a longer term visa for the USA you shouldn't have any problem. If you could convince the Americans to let you in, you'll find the Canadians to be nicer and easier to deal with.

If you go to the top of this page to the Search tool, and type in Canada Tourist Visa, you'll get about two relevant results from a few months ago... a couple of the postings in them tell the typical horror story of a perfect thai lady, (i.e. good job, property, business, family, Canadian boyfriend/husband is working in Thailand, etc) getting REFUSED... As an American, I'm interested in the Canadian TRV because it sounds slightly more do-able than the US tourist visa and I live near Canada... but as you can see in my "US Tourist Visa" post, most of the posters think she'll fail because she doesn't meet the "long-term big money in the bank" requirement facet of "reason to return", despite owning land and a home in her name. Not sure how strong this requirement is for the Canadian Embassy, anybody know?

Not to piggyback on your post Tornedo, but does anyone know if a Canadian tourist visa, TRV, is easier for the Thai girl if the boyfriend (or I could make that 'husband' if the visa people prefer it) is American? Just from the older TRV posts, it seems like the Canadian embassy has greater trust in the host boyfriend and will actually look at letters/proof from him, unlike the US embassy.

Edited by RY12

Give them an itinery on what you will be doing in Canada, your bank statement and a letter from your employee.

If you have travelled alot previously and have visas from other countries in your pasport it should be no problem. They usually give a 6month visa.

My then gf (now wife) managed to get a visa without even having to do an interview.

Give them an itinery on what you will be doing in Canada, your bank statement and a letter from your employee.

If you have travelled alot previously and have visas from other countries in your pasport it should be no problem. They usually give a 6month visa.

My then gf (now wife) managed to get a visa without even having to do an interview.

:o Woah... How long a go was this? What were her stats?

My own dealings with Canadian Embassy have not been so good. My gf and I have tried 2X just to get Travel Visa and both times she was turned down.

As someone else mentioned she best own property, have a very secure job, and strong family ties.

Another friend was turned down, she had a good job, family business, money in the bank etc. and was refused.

Canada can be a very difficult embassy to get a travel visa out off

My partner of 6 months was refused even though he had a Schwengen visa in his passport. We will try again this year as he now has land, a house under construction and a new truck. The trick is to put all your emphasis on convincing the Officer that you will not stay in Canada. My partner is Lao and many Lao think Bangkok Embassy descriminates against them. The Lao community in Vancouver has made 3 attempts to get a Lao monks to visit them..all rejected. A few years ago 2 Lao monks went to Canada and dirsobed and applied for refugee status.