Employment Issue On Application

My soon-to-be Thai wife and I are currently in the process of filling out the proper immigration papers for her permanent residence into Canada. A major concern of mine is that I have been in Thailand, with her, since November 2007 and I was not employed there nor in Canada during that time. The application asks for employment information (i.e. net income, employer information, etc.) for the past year up to the date the application was filed. We plan to apply in November 2008. I have many assets (house, cabin and a small holding company that is currently dormant) and investments that can prove my current financial status is well. I also hold a degree and diploma in engineering which may prove that my career is sound.

I have also heard stories that the application has to be 'perfected' in order for the visa to be granted without any long delays. I know that we can do this on our own but we don't want this to drag out with the chances of minor corrections (dot all 'i's and cross all 't's).

I have many questions/concerns about the forms and was wondering if anyone has recently dealt with this process before and can offer any advice to us (PM me if you like).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :o