New Thai Buddhist Temple In London

wolf5370

George, I hope you don't mind me posting this...

Hi,

The Kathina and Fundraising Activity for the Establishment of a new Thai Buddhist Temple, Wat Buddharam, in London.

some of you may already be aware of the closure of the Plaistow Buddha Vihara Temple in London.

This was due to a prolonged legal case (20 years prolonged!). The, now mainly Hindu, temple council that was registered with the charity commission to look after the temple (by deed of covenant from the original Buddhist Indian owner who left the temple in his will), had decided to sell the property for profit and close the temple. The monks had finally lost their last appeal and were ordered to vacate.

Buddha Vihara was not only a religious place of prayer for hundreds of Theravada Buddhists, it also run a free Thai school at weekend (for children and adults), and acted as a meeting place for Thais and their families.

The monks and devotees (like my wife and me) decided to establish a new temple. The monks have now moved to a rented house where they have set up a temporary temple. The new temple is called Wat Buddharam (address at the bottom of this post).

All are, of course welcome. Unlike the touristy state temple in Wimbledon, visitors are welcome any and every day (just give the monks some sleeping time).

A charity has been set up to fund the building of a new, permanent temple in East London. This will include monks' quarters, temple and classrooms. There are three ways of participating in the fundraising for this important venture:

1. The first is to buy fund donation units. 48,000 units exist and can be bought for £10 each. A donor may buy as many units as s/he wants.

2. One off or regular donation. Donations can be made to: HSBC Account: 71233378, Sort Code 40-07-18. Wanstead Branch, 79 High Street, Wanstead, London E11 2AF, UK.

3. By cheque payable to "Wat Buddharam".

Address of the temple is: 347 Cann Hall Road, Leytonstone E11 3NL. Tel: 0208 534 2138 Fax: 0208 534 2094 Email: [email protected]

The Katina Ceremony and fundraising event will be held on Sunday 28th November 2004.

Programme:

10:00 Devotees to gather in shrine room

10:30 Monks chant blessing to all devotees and guests

11:00 Monks go round for alms "pintapat"

12:00 Devotees/guests enjoy lunch together

13:30 Listening to sermon (Dhammadesana) from monks

14:30 Donation of Kathina robe and the funds for the new Vihara, following by the tradition of 'Loy Kratong' (floating lighted candles) - make/bring your own or buy them on the day.

PM me or contact the temple for any further details. Corporate sponsorship (restaurants etc) is most welcome.

Thanks,

Richard.

• 4 years later...