Cockatoo/large Birds

I just retired and moved to Issan and had to leave my Cockatoo (owned 12 years) with family members in the US... I would love to find somewhere, possibly in Bangkok, where I could find Quality Birds and supplies such as cages, food, toys ect... Also, if anyone might know the approximate cost of Large Birds in Thailand... In the US they can run upwards of $1,000 + USD's...

Thanks,

Pianoman

Pianoman,

I have a cockatoo.....supposedly Australian, bought in Botswana, shipped to Udorn, where the owner wanted to bring it to the U.S. It's easier to bring a Thai bride to the U.S. So the owner gave it to me a few years ago. Good bird, but not 100% sure of the sex (think it's female). A few years ago I saw a cockatoo in one of the local pet stores, 10,000 baht. Haven't seen one since, but I'd be willing to be they can arrange to get one.

If you're ever in Udorn, drop me a line.

Stay clear of Jatujak.

The permanent dealers are in the small market adjacent to jatujak , near the new fruit and veg market.

Can't recall the name of the location but will try to give you directions.

Get out of Skytrain at Saphan Kwai, walk towards JJ, over a small, smelly klong and within 100m look for an entrance (no signage) on your left.

Walk in there (200m) and there are at least 6-10 good dealers in there.

The guy who owns the largest display on the left hails from CM and could be the largest cockatoo dealer in Thailand.

Toys are expensive and are imported, better to get them sent from the USA.

Good luck. :o

Thanks all... Sounds like it might be time for a trip to Bangkok, I just hate that 6 hour drive but it might be worth it...

I will check both JJ Market and the near by dealers.. Cost is not the most important issue when they appear to be relatively cheap anyway..

As for "Toys", I use to buy a lot of things when I lived in the States, but found I could make my own fairly easy and the bird seemed to enjoy distroying them just as much as the expensive "Store Bought" ones..

Again Thank to all..

Pianoman

Sounds like it might be time for a trip to Bangkok, I just hate that 6 hour drive but it might be worth it...

If you live anywhere near Chon Mek (just East of Ubon) you may want to try just over the border in the Laos market - often young parrots and such birds are for sale there at very low prices.

The 1st bird I bought , 5 yrs ago, was a Mynah, nothing but a crap factory, it attracted lice like crazy and useless, I didn't shed any tears when it croaked a short while after purchase. :o

It was the only bird I ever bought in JJ.

Ok, found the name of the rd.

KAMPHAENG PHET RD. Runs east-west, not to be confused with

KAMPHAENG PHET 2 rd which runs north - south alongside JJ Plaza.

Take a photo of a parrot with you and show it to the first hawker on the west side of the rd after you leave the station, walking north :o

Personally, we have birds bought at Chatuchak (or more precisely in the area that's predominantly bird and fish places just the other side of the main part of Chatuchak. (i.e. probably not actually Chatuchak officially).

Have had no problems with birds dying on me, or anything like that. One minah bird escaped, after it could speak. - We still hear it occasionally from a tree near the house...

Biggest problem is getting the piece of paper from the dealer asserting that the bird was raised in captivity. Otherwise, if a police officer comes past, you can find the birds disappear off to the local police station. Happened to us once when we were in the UK on holiday as the maid and mother-in-law who were house-sitting didn't know where the paperwork was. We got the birds back, except one that died in police captivity (was a bit high-strung, but was a very good talker), when my wife told them where it was, and they went to the police station with the documents.

Without that piece of paper, you can get into serious trouble with the police...

• 1 month later...
Mike, I doubt if you would have that problem in LoS.

Unless it was a Mynah bird. :o

The police took the birds away... - The documents had to be taken to the police station within a couple of days to get the birds back.

and one of the birds was a Mynah, but we got it back. - Anyway, we get wild Mynah's visiting the garden regularly, so I don't see how they can be that endangered...

• 1 month later...

Now that sounds like a good prospect. What are the smaller green colored birds? Saw one on a lady's head at the flea market. Very cute bird that took to me right away. Would love to have one like that.

skycop :o

Can get a hill mynah from up North locally for about 1000 baht.Very intelligent birds and the children love them for their mimicry.