Radio Control Modelling In Phuket

Sir Burr

Hoping that there are some Phuket based TV people who might be able to help.

Am thinking of taking up radio-control modelling, a hobby I used to do in my teens.

I have heard rumours that there is a meeting of RC cars somewhere. Also, the RC airplanes are sometimes flown behind Promphan supermarket.

Does anybody have any info on where and when these meetings are held?

Which is the best model shop on the island?

Model shop in Phuket town for basics but IMHO mail order is the way to go for Lithium / electric systems..

Will dig up the Phuket twon address and tel number..

Also getting restarted in this.. Have a couple of planes and a hard to fly elec heli..

Model shop in Phuket town for basics but IMHO mail order is the way to go for Lithium / electric systems..

Will dig up the Phuket twon address and tel number..

Also getting restarted in this.. Have a couple of planes and a hard to fly elec heli..

if you want some advice on the heli flying , just ask livin :o

i've been flying raptor 90 for 5 years now.

LivininLOS and Darknight.

Thanks for your replies, I'd given up hope of any.

On a complete whim, I bought a 1000 Bt "radio control" helicopter from Lotus. I envisaged hours of cheap fun learning to hover, flying backwards etc. Course, when I got it home and opened the box it became evident that my expectations wildly exceeded reality. This helicopter has a scalextric kind of hand-grip with just throttle control. To actually try and turn the helicopter, you have to slow down so that the tail-rotor takes over. Once facing the right way, you put the pedal to the metal again. Bloody pathetic!

What is this raptor 90? How many channels does it have? Definitely want an RC helicopter.

there are now some indoor helis that are dirt cheap (sub 100 USD) that actually do work..

I may get one of the XRB's for indoor heli flying as they have full cyclic but would run about 300 USD..

The rate that micro and indoor is evolving is just nuts..

Think I would rather learn to fly with an out-door helicopter rather than an indoor one (visions of broken vases and slashed cusions, both things being dear to my wifes heart).

Have seen some of the indoor helicopters. Amazing how far things have come since the early seventies, which was the last time I did any RC modelling.

Anyway, am interested to hear more about this raptor, or, indeed any other outdoor helicopter.

LivininLOS and Darknight.

Thanks for your replies, I'd given up hope of any.

On a complete whim, I bought a 1000 Bt "radio control" helicopter from Lotus. I envisaged hours of cheap fun learning to hover, flying backwards etc. Course, when I got it home and opened the box it became evident that my expectations wildly exceeded reality. This helicopter has a scalextric kind of hand-grip with just throttle control. To actually try and turn the helicopter, you have to slow down so that the tail-rotor takes over. Once facing the right way, you put the pedal to the metal again. Bloody pathetic!

What is this raptor 90? How many channels does it have? Definitely want an RC helicopter.

Well it's first of all not that easy sirr burr :o .

You first need to choose between electric or fuel heli's , consider your budget . first hover training takes about 3 to 6 months. You need somebody to setup your heli for you the first time , otherwise you will crash instantly :D

Depending on your budget send me a pm whit what you want to know. a electric heli , collective or variable pitch can be had from 200 euro's (10.000 bath) a fuel 30/50 size will be somewhere in the 30.000 to 50.000 bath range. The raptor 90 complete will be something between 60.000 and 125.000 bath. so maybe better to try a smaller one first to see if you like it.

The raptor from thundertiger would be a good choice, not to expensive for the heli, cheap to run, low parts cost when you crash, fully 3D ready :D. you can go into better ones ofter a few years

Have a look at www.cyberheli.com (hongkong) for cheapest prices in asia (not much explanation though)

www.runryder.com (biggest heliforum)

www.rchelistore.com (cheapest raptor prices in europe)

www.rotor.sg (singapore helishop)

raptors can also be bought in BKK at Olek's modelshop.

have fun

Outdoor electric look at 250 - 300 min.. Going up to 450 - 500 or so for large electric or entry fuel (though not followed fuel stuff much).. Compare to 100 for a electric micro and I know what I would rather crash..

I dont have room for storage of fuel sized heli's.. Mini and micro for my storage spaces.. Multi contra rotating heli's are very new in the micro world and look a blast.. Nor that they are building true cyclic the learning curve of these (near disposable) flyers translates directly to large scale fuel flying.. Crashing (which you will do) on a full size fuel is often expensive enough to put me off totally..

Check the fora over at RCGroups.com

Posts crossed each other.. Now you see why I choose electric..

My fixed pitch hummingbird was under 100 USD and I added a heading hold gyro to ease learning.. Even so its very tough to fly hence my desire to pick up a XRB SR contra rotator.. thats around 300 usd with all radio gear (tx) included..

Sure they are toys compared to the stuff mentioned above but helis that run well over the 40k baht range and disintegrate on impact (and it WILL happen) just takes the fun out of it.. These little electrics are so light that they dont usually damage themselves much when they do crash.. Buy some spare foam blades and thats the (engineered) weak link.. 4 pack of blades under 10 usd.. Crash a fuel heli and it could be 100x that..

Edited by LivinLOS

Darknight & LivininLOS

Totally agree that electric is the way to go. Fuel engines are too temperamental and costly. Seems electric has most of the pros and the only con is lack of power, which is easily solved by using a smaller helicopter.

Darknight,

I went to the Hong Kong website, but you have to know what you want. For the beginner, a bit bewildering.

Went to the third website, the one in Europe. Unfortunately, the English version wasn't working. Dutch or French only.

The fourth site, the shop in Singapore; I can't seem to get through. Maybe there is a problem with the web-page.

I think I'm going to need some advice here. Want to go out-door electric. Money is not an object, but, I obviously don't need a top notch helicopter as a beginner. I want to be practical, not flash. I think what I might need is a relatively stable, high end beginners model.

If you could give me a recommendation of what model and where it can be purchased, I will do my utmost to bribe you both with copious quantities of alcohol to teach me to fly the da.mn thing when it arrives.

Edited by Sir Burr

Darknight & LivininLOS

Totally agree that electric is the way to go. Fuel engines are too temperamental and costly. Seems electric has most of the pros and the only con is lack of power, which is easily solved by using a smaller helicopter.

True but if you really want outdoor with a micro electric heli it would cost similar to a fuel one. If it needs to fly good you need to look at brushless engines, lithium polymer cells , charger ect

For a outdoor electric now i would reccomend you the T-rex. it's a smaller raptor 30 clone modified for electric. It's made in taiwan, here's some info , you'll need to look for a shop in asia though (taxes on import)

www.fxaeromodels.com/Trex.htm

Darknight,

I went to the Hong Kong website, but you have to know what you want. For the beginner, a bit bewildering.

Indeed cyberheli is for people who are already into it , you can mail them dough.

Went to the third website, the one in Europe. Unfortunately, the English version wasn't working. Dutch or French only.
mmm it is in english be it badly written, it's a guy from our club and he indeed has the cheapest raptors prices in europe.

try here again http://www.rchelistore.com/E_frame.html

He has an Esky micro electric heli now complete with everything (radio, receiver, batt, servo's etc) for 195 euro. he buys them in taiwan so maybe cheaper in asia.

The fourth site, the shop in Singapore; I can't seem to get through. Maybe there is a problem with the web-page.

No my mistake, it's http://www.rotor.com.sg

I think I'm going to need some advice here. Want to go out-door electric. Money is not an object, but, I obviously don't need a top notch helicopter as a beginner. I want to be practical, not flash. I think what I might need is a relatively stable, high end beginners model.

For electrics:

search on google for

T-rex

Zoom

Esky, dragonfly, bumblebee, picollo, corona

For fuel:

Raptor 30

Raptor 50

Hirobo shutlle

Kyosho Caliber 30

If you could give me a recommendation of what model and where it can be purchased, I will do my utmost to bribe you both with copious quantities of alcohol to teach me to fly the da.mn thing when it arrives.

:D Well i would love to but you gonna have to add a return ticket brussels-phuket then as i'm currently situated in belgium again :o

Just read the forums like runryder.com or rcuniverse.com to get up to speed on it .

Lipo batts are cheap now.. Chargers less than 50 USD and I dont think brushless is essential for a begginer..

A good micro for outdoor no wind days can be done for <250 - 300 including radio gear.. Try that with a fuel !!!

Well advised to spend some time readin on RCGroups or other RC fora IMHO..

Lipo batts are cheap now.. Chargers less than 50 USD and I dont think brushless is essential for a begginer..

A good micro for outdoor no wind days can be done for <250 - 300 including radio gear.. Try that with a fuel !!!

Well advised to spend some time readin on RCGroups or other RC fora IMHO..

True livinlos, it's cheaper. But i'm of the opinion a micro electric is till not a real heli :D . Yes you can fly , but the feeling between a large nitro or a small electro is completely different. All depends what you're looking for.

I like raw power and outside flying , so my 15cc Webra powered Raptor 90 (3.2hp) is just an addiction :D

My Esky micro is for flying inside when it's raining :D. if it's sunny i always take the raptor :o . As sirr burr says money is no object :D ...

The only Electrics that can compete with fuel are heli's like 3dmp (12 lipo's), logo heli's or maybe the t-rex now. At minimum if you get a micro get a variable pitch heli. the others are still childsplay but you have a very low chrash cost yeah :D

Which also is a bad thing sometimes. we see a lot of micro heli pilots moving into the fuel machines now and they are totally irresponsible with their heli's. Flying close to themselves and others for example. They never experienced a heavy crash with a fuel heli were the parts are flying around your ears :D , you are in fact flying with an upside down turned lawnmower that can cut your flesh like butter.

I agree that even a 'real' micro heli (as opposed to this new crop of contra rotators) are toytown compared to the big boys toys but I am only putting a different perspective out there so that people know that it IS possible to have an electric heli or a complete package (batts, chargers, radio gear, helui, gyro, etc) for probably less than you have invested in your transmitter..

Personally I want to go smaller.. if you see some of the creations by the genius micro builders you have palmtop sized indoor heli's now !!!

I agree that even a 'real' micro heli (as opposed to this new crop of contra rotators) are toytown compared to the big boys toys but I am only putting a different perspective out there so that people know that it IS possible to have an electric heli or a complete package (batts, chargers, radio gear, helui, gyro, etc) for probably less than you have invested in your transmitter..

Personally I want to go smaller.. if you see some of the creations by the genius micro builders you have palmtop sized indoor heli's now !!!

:D i know and indeed it's going very quickly in that branche now , prices are dropping every week. were people paid 500 euro's for a piccollo fixed pitch without transmitter 1 year ago. now you can get everything including batteriy and transmitter with variable pitch for 195 euro's.

Did you see this ? it's a belgian made till now smallest rc heli in the world :o only 6.9 grams.

http://pixelito.reference.be/

Darknight and LivininLOS,

It seems that the first decision I have to make is fuel or electric.

Whilst I agree with Darknight that the only "real" helicopter is a big nitro fuel guzzler, crash damage is expensive, both in time and money. As a complete beginner I have to be realistic and presume I'm going to crash often.

So, that leaves me with electric. Am going to spend some time looking at the web-sites you have refered me to, to see what's on offer. I'm still interested to know how many channels are needed on an electric helicopter. I remember that the fuel helicopters were 6-channel, single stick. Darknight ,do you use 6-channels on your raptor? Single stick or some other configuration? LivininLOS, what do you use?

Will let you know my findings. Thanks bunches for the good advice and sites.

Darknight and LivininLOS,

It seems that the first decision I have to make is fuel or electric.

Whilst I agree with Darknight that the only "real" helicopter is a big nitro fuel guzzler, crash damage is expensive, both in time and money. As a complete beginner I have to be realistic and presume I'm going to crash often.

So, that leaves me with electric. Am going to spend some time looking at the web-sites you have refered me to, to see what's on offer. I'm still interested to know how many channels are needed on an electric helicopter. I remember that the fuel helicopters were 6-channel, single stick. Darknight ,do you use 6-channels on your raptor? Single stick or some other configuration? LivininLOS, what do you use?

Will let you know my findings. Thanks bunches for the good advice and sites.

Don't think you have to see it that black or white , i learned with a raptor 30 and only chrashed once in the first year due to me getting over confident. it has a very reasonable crash cost , that's why they are almost put others out of business in the smaller fuel market. an average crash would set you back around 50 euro (tail boom, blades, flybar) you have to start with a beginners cross under the heli anyway to learn to hover which reduces the risk of crashing a lot. Better to start slowly then on the second try pull att all the sticks and try to hover at two meters high, you will certainly get it the wrong way back at the ground :D. In thailand there is an importer of raptor parts called "Olek hobby" in bangkok, who also does mail order (thai type dough :o ). best i think it to find one were you can buy parts locally or easy online. if you mean outdoors like "at the field" i would say take a 30 or 50 raptor. if you mean garden then it's electric micro's. The same size in electric as a raptor would actually cost you more in the initial investment (batteries) of course you don't have that high running cost with fuel. Best fuel for heli i feel is "coolpower" which also is available in thailand in several kinds. to learn to hover any methanol/oil fuel would do , about 20% oil( hotter climate) 80% methanol, or substitute methanol for nitro if you want better performance. The best fuel for 3D performance is 22% synthetic oil, 30% nitro, 47% methanol, 1% additives (against rust , etc).

I can give you also the address of a guy who can setup your raptor in bangkok and then ship it to you (for a fee of course) he teaches flying classes as well.

For the transmitter setup. Most heli pilots fly similar setups , no difference between electric or fuel. Depends what you start out with. You need a minimum computer transmitter with adjustable curves in them (trottle and pitch curve, idle up, gyro etc.) you need a minimum of 6 channels (aileron, elevator, throttle, tail rotor, gyro, pitch) but i currently have 9 that i need :D (double servo on pitch , governor).

for a radio if money is no object i would suggest a FF9 (f9hcp in the us) from futaba, or a JR mx22. the cheapest model to be able to fly heli's would be ff6 (futaba) fc18 (robbe, futaba) mx 16 (graupner), don't know the jr equivalent.

I fly Mode 2 stick setting which means ailerons and elevator on the right stick (swash plate) left stick has throttle (up or down) and tail (sideways). this is the best setting for some advanced 3D manuevers later like Pyro flipping as the swashplate stick needs to make a circular motion. For the trottle you can choose between full speed: stick forward, or backward :D. The pitch is mixed through the pitch curve settings with the throttle. Further you need a slider to control the gyro channel (or equivalent in switch) and two switches for idle up or auto rotation later in life. :D

the ff9 can be bought in bangkok with Futaba shop (opposite pantip plaza) for around 18.000 bath. The other guy i mentioned sells the JR model transmitters.

You also need a good gyro preferably "heading hold" (will save you an upgrade later) i would reccomend the futaba GY401 + 9253 servo combination. this will keep you satisfied up till Heavy 3d flying.

total cost for a raptor 30/50 + transmitter, servo's receiver gyro(good ones) + starting gear + toolbox i would estimate around 40.000 -45.000 bath max.

If you really want to see some world class 3d Flying , have a look at the upcoming champion Alan Zsabo flying his raptor 90 at the lake. 29 meg download though :D

http://www.augustoheli.com/videostuff/vide...abo/default.asp

• 4 months later...

Hi Sir Burr !

I would like to know if you have gone ahead with your heli in the meantime ?

I used to fly them quite a lot and the lower posts say it all - you will crash no doubt so you should select a model that is cheap and easy to repair (be ready to do a lot of that).

I started with a Kyosho (www.kyosho.com) but the spares are quite expensive. I think the Raptor by Thunder Tiger would be an excellent start model. You will probably need 6 - 8 channels on the remote and it should have a specific Heli mode (for the gyro etc). Lot's of settings.

I spend a lot of time in Phuket and could give you a hand in setup etc (u may have already done that...). I would also recommend you to get a flight simulator for your computer - it really helps. The moment of truth is to get the brain to switch over when hovering nose in. It's a tuff one to get there and will take months. Here the sim will help.

I also prefered nitros engines because the chopper stays in the air longer and nothing beats the buzz of opening full throttle and the heli zooms up vertical into the sky !!! But not sure if you can get heli fuel in Phuket, electro might be the better choice here.....

Let me know if you get into it, I have been playing with the thought myself and we might be able to get similar models going (and be able to exchange spare parts)

Cheers

This thread has risen from the dead!

Indolady,

No, I didn't get a helicopter in the end. I think the main reason was that there just isn't enough modelling in it. For me the making is as important, if not more, than the operation of the model.

Also, as you say, there will be a lot of repairs (and money spent) on repairs, and they are not cheap to start with!

I am now leaning more towards model sailing boats. Phuket is an ideal place to do this, no crashes and the more wind, the better. I know the thrills won't be the same as with a RC helicopter, but I'd like a project that keeps me in at nights.

Thanks bunches for your advice though.

Do you have a helicopter now in Phuket? I would love to come and watch you fly one. It might even make me change my mind!

• 3 months later...

Did you get anything RC Sir Burr ??

I have now regally trashed my mini speed wing and just ordered another couple of bits from Tower Hobbies..

I am getting a out of the box kit for my mates thai kids (they got a major kick out of my planes but they were a bit much for them to learn with) so by the time USA airmail gets here we should be good for a few complete sets airborne at once.. I figure if I get them started then give them a 3ch foam airplane kit now, they will be hooked just around christmas time.. Also thier Dad is as much of a big kid as me so I can see us getting drunk and playing combat games..

Where do the flyers meet on Phuket (where is that supermarket) ?? I have read that theres some spots where groups gather ?? Any particular days..

I would be really into seeing if we could get some kind of single type (profile plan combat foamies) games going.. I have never been anywhere where paper streamer / ribbon combat was done..

Edited by LivinLOS

LivinLOS,

No, didn't get anything. Sort of fell by the wayside.

This mini speed-wing you talk of; is it a control line plane? This is the type they put streamers on and you have to try and cut the streamer with your own plane.

Was told that there was some flying behind Promphan supermarket on the Chao Fah road a few years ago, but, have never seen any (I always look as I go by).

I have heard that RC Cars are popular here. Never seen them and frankly, not interested in cars.

Yeah I have no interest in serious cars (of course I am kid enough to get a couple of cheap toy ones to make a race track round the pool.. I am a child I know !!!)..

The mini speed wing is a small perhaps 24 inch wingspan flying wing that are fast acrobatic, nearly unbreakable, and cheap http://speedwing.net/index.htm I have had a blast with mine but a incident with a dog means the plane is dead now.. Of course all the flight pack (radio gear, servo's, batts, etc) survived and so I am looking for a new shell to put it in.. I am torn between a new 'wing' or a profile combat plane.. If I could get a few people with the same kit for an equal setup combat (with paper streamers) would be superb..

The pack I have just ordered that my mates kids will inherit (after me) is the Sky scooter II http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCTE7&P=7 its a good aileron trainer and its pretty tough.. I will have some fun with it.. I reckon my mate can fly this (starting with a rudder elevator is ok but its not that hard and can get boring if you cant barrel roll and 'fly') and his kids can learn.. If he wants to progress a better radio and receiver and the rest of the electric pack is reusable.. Also if the airframe is still ok after learning its easy to hot rod this up with lipo batteries and brushless motors for a fast fun little beast...

I am still not sure what to do with the guts of my MSW.. Getting a few poeple all flying profile foam planes like http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...userid=brodiejf would be great.. Once you have the flight pack there is really nothing to the planes.. Macro sells corroplast (like corrogated plastic) for pennies that can knock up replacement body etc no problems..

• 2 years later...

Just realized this was a 3 year old thread. Anyway, there is a club of motley crue characters doing their RC stuff (cars and planes) near Central. They meet ad hoc near there.

From what I hear, a very nice bunch of people and very nice Thais who meet there for the love of the saport.

They are not much good and usually complete junk.. the tail rotors are not tuned in and often cannot compensate for the drag from the main rotor bearing..

An exception would be the sky robo which last time I looked was a couple of 1000.. These are contra rotating helis for indoor use and not a real heli (some would say) but good fun for scaring house pets..

I also have bought picooz and had quite a bit of fun once you tune them a little.. They only run a couple of mins per charge but you recharge in 5 mins or so..

Yes I am a child !!!

• 11 months later...

Good morning,

I red with interest this old discussion.

I have to go soon in Phuket, and I would like to contact an aeromodel club in the island, in order to join them.

I have 3 gliders and an electric winch.

Would you help me, please, to find this kind of club, if exist ?

Many thanks for your replay.

Syllou