Tailors In Bangkok

sezzo

I am going to be staying in Bangkok near the Siam Centre for 4 days prior to flying to Aust for a holiday and would like to get some shirts and trousers made up.

Never had this done before in Thailand and I hate getting hassled by the hawkers on the streets trying to lure you into their particular shop.

Would anyone have any recommendations of where to go for a good deal and some decent service.

Thanks in advance :o:D

Shoddy workmanship, total lack of integrity or morals, me first attitude, lie with a smile, worthless guarantees, a pricing system for foreigners that boggles the mind. That's the way business is done in Thailand. Just remember that.

I think they are not Tailors but smooth talking salesman that can use a tape measure.

How much can I get out of this guy is the only thing that matters to him.

Often, they will want to know when you are departing town so they can deliver at the last minute, avoiding alterations or a having a dissapointed customer coming in for refunds....

The sewing is done by overworked minimum wage earners making about $100usd per month.

Total price for fabric and labor, less than 1,500bht.

Order 1 and see how you like it. :o

I am going to be staying in Bangkok near the Siam Centre for 4 days prior to flying to Aust for a holiday and would like to get some shirts and trousers made up.

Never had this done before in Thailand and I hate getting hassled by the hawkers on the streets trying to lure you into their particular shop. 

Would anyone have any recommendations of where to go for a good deal and some decent service.

Thanks in advance    :o  :D

I have used Bithano on Sukhumvit soi 39 (?). The shop is located just opposite Sukhumvit soi 26, a short walk from Phom Phrong BTS station. It is a Thai owned business, ,and I have been using them for 7+ years. Good work, very reasonable prices, and they are not pushy. Normally the prices they give is a take it or leave it deal, although if you order a lot, you may be able to get a slight discount.

My best advise when it comes to tailors anywhere - if they are hustling outside their shop, it is because they have to - so just walk on. Good tailors don't need to stand on the street and grab people in order to get business.

If you can get over to the Sukumvit area then try Raja's Tailors located on Sukumvit Soi 4 oppisite the Nana Hotel. They have been in business for many years. i have been happy with the several items I had made there over the years.

If you mean that shop diagonal on the other side of the nana hotel (walk over the soi and over the sukhumvit (than you are anyway either smashed by a car or you have lung cancer).....

I did never try it, but a German guy told me, they are good.

If you can get over to the Sukumvit area then try Raja's Tailors located on Sukumvit Soi 4 oppisite the Nana Hotel.  They have been in business for many years.  i have been happy with the several items I had made there over the years.

Hi,

I've bought loads of work clothes from Bangkok - shirts and pants.

At first I would get them tailor made but getting back home I'd always find some problems with the fittings or shoddy work or whatever that I had missed while checking them.

For years now I just walk into department stores like Robinson's and buy GQ brand stuff off the shelf. Great quality for Lowes prices! :o

Try 'em on and buy them on the spot without the other problems of buying off a tailor. There are often things thrown in on the deal too and if your lucky you might walk in during a sale.

YBB

You might take a look at these people:

http://www.herrmannsuits.com/index.htm

I had some suits and shirts made there earlier this year. The cloth (mainly Italian) and styling is excellent. There's no-one outside to drag you in and the place oozes quality garments off the peg as well as ready made. Not the cheapest but still cheap compared with the UK. I have only two reservations:

1. They pushed me hard to buy more than I wanted. But it's up to you to know what you want and stick to it.

2. Some of the stitching on one of the suits wasn't finished and seams opened later. My fault for rushing the fitting and finishing so that I could have the clothes before going up country. Next time, I shall mention this to the owner and ask him to make sure that the stitching is tied off.

I can't remember what I paid for the suits but I think that they were about half the price of a UK off-the-peg close equivalent. They made me six shirts to wear with the suits and I paid £15 each - including my initials on the pocket.

They also make and sell very nice ladies' clothes so send the loved one off somewhere else or it'll cost you double!!

I second (third?) the recommendation for Raja's on Suk 4. I had two suits and some office shirts made there and the quality is good. Bobby doesn't seem to do silly pricing once you establish that you're serious. Giving him your business card will help. I had two fittings before they were happy, which is a good sign but may not fit with the OP's 4 day timetable.

Also agree with the comments about GQ off the peg stuff, which is what I wear day to day in the office, keeping suits etc for client or other important meetings.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.

I realise I wont have much time for proper fittings etc but will look around tomorrow afternoon and see what I can get. Definately Rajas sounds like a place to go and check out.

Once again thanks all :o

Also I now buy trousers and shirts in a department store – Central in my case, but any other department store will do just as well. They adjust the trousers’ leg length to your size. If you are not a very irregular size, you should be able to find plenty of shirts fitting your neck size and arm length.

Only for a suit do I go to a good tailor, and for that, four days would not suffice.

Try Rajawongse Tailors just areond the corner from Soi 4 on Sukhumvit. I've been using them for over 30 years and Jessie (the owner) is is honest as the day is long. Workmanship can not be beat. He'll also hand you a cold beer on entry. Tell him Bob sent you.

Any place that takes less than 24 hours is a dodgy one; a tailor should measure, cut the basic frame; check; make the suit; check again for final adjustments; check one last time and give to you....at least for the first time.

Should take minimum of 3-4 days, more likely a week.

I like the places in Amarin plaza on 2nd floor; not bad at all. But for off the rack, VERY hard to go past a Zegna suit; Givenchy has some nice suits as well.

And for my little rant \.....

Skipper -

Shoddy workmanship, total lack of integrity or morals, me first attitude, lie with a smile, worthless guarantees, a pricing system for foreigners that boggles the mind. That's the way business is done in Thailand. Just remember that.

Fascinating - must remember your view of the country :D next time I am doing business here; oh that's right I seem to encounter this sort of stuff sometimes; mostly from f&*king foreigners who work here, except for the smile bit. Thai companies and people I deal with work just fine, so I don't think it is the "way business is done in Thailand" - certainly sadly it can be the way business is done in parts of the tourist sector and the sector of the economy surrounding the ghetto of Suk 3 - Asok, but then again I work in the bit of the economy actually creating superior shareholder returns blah blah blah blah :o:D:D But I do like your smiling avatar :D Smile. And I will sell you my children if you buy my product. And also, I am most important person here. And I will guarantee you the quality of my children with a money back guarantee. And because you are a foreign sailor, I can charge you 4000baht per child in 1967 currency + 50% of PPI per year, less the fuel surcharge of 20 satung. That's how I do business....

oh.

ok.

I getcha.

p.s. It is tailor right; or do you mean people who wander around sticking tails on things?

I had to deal with them a lot when I was setting up a magazine with them combined with online advertising purposes. Out of about 150 Tailors we interviewed only one came accross as GOOD! While being in his shop, (non-indian, father from Hong-Kong mother Thai) I noticed many business people from London where there. While interviewing him he told me great stories about certain customers that kept coming back just for suits. He does all in-house and not as most others that use all the same slave camps.

Being convinced I started buying my own stuff with him and until now I never had any problems with any of his products. He also produces shirts of the rack being sold in Central under a different label.

To be found at: Chidlom Skytrain station. From there you take the second exit into the shopping mall. Direct on your right in the corner.

In my case I can't buy off the rack beause the clothes look like hel_l on me. I have a large neck (18 1/2") and wen I buy off the rack I usually wind up getting a dress shirt that is too tight in the neck and very loose around the stomach..

Greg

To be found at: Chidlom Skytrain station. From there you take the second exit into the shopping mall. Direct on your right in the corner.

raybkk: This sounds exactly what I'm looking for as I don't like the Indian cut that most of the tailors in BKK do. Does this tailor's shop have a name or is it easy to find with these directions? I don't know the mall near Chidlom Skytrain and as the tailors tend to hang around in bunches, I don't want to walk into the wrong one!

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance    :D   :D

I have used Bithano on Sukhumvit soi 39 (?). The shop is located just opposite Sukhumvit soi 26, a short walk from Phom Phrong BTS station. It is a Thai owned business, ,and I have been using them for 7+ years. Good work, very reasonable prices, and they are not pushy. Normally the prices they give is a take it or leave it deal, although if you order a lot, you may be able to get a slight discount.

My best advise when it comes to tailors anywhere - if they are hustling outside their shop, it is because they have to - so just walk on. Good tailors don't need to stand on the street and grab people in order to get business.

:D

Amazing. I was just about to reccomend Bithano. Used them for several years also. Always was good for me. I am what is known as a "Large Size Person" and always been happy with the clothes they made me. Probably will be getting more shirts/pants made next time I'm in BKK (think will be February).

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I had to deal with them a lot when I was setting up a magazine with them combined with online advertising purposes. Out of about 150 Tailors we interviewed only one came accross as GOOD! While being in his shop, (non-indian, father from Hong-Kong mother Thai) I noticed many business people from London where there. While interviewing him he told me great stories about certain customers that kept coming back just for suits. He does all in-house and not as most others that use all the same slave camps.

Being convinced I started buying my own stuff with him and until now I never had any problems with any of his products. He also produces shirts of the rack being sold in Central under a different label.

Hmm does nobod know where this tailor is or at least the name of the shop. :D Otherwise Bithano and Raja sound nice, but who is better. Decisions, Decisions :o

Oh by the way is this the webpage for Rajas? My Webpage

Edited by Darky

Nobody knows if this is the webpage from then?

Sorry to go off topic, Ive noticed that the majority of websites for Thai business ..............blow.

All of them look like they were made from cutting and pasting catalog scans.

I could make a better sight for the above link in about 30 mins.

I just dont get it, they all have this

ladies.gif

1970's Sears Catalog look.

Ok sorry about that, now for suits.....where is a good place to get shoes and what do you do during the "rainy season". Do you carry your good shoes in a bag and wear rafting shoes?

What shoes are in style in Thailand right now, Im sure its different than it is in other places. Right now everyone is doing the "boot" shoe with heel thing.

• 1 month later...
If you can get over to the Sukumvit area then try Raja's Tailors located on Sukumvit Soi 4 oppisite the Nana Hotel. They have been in business for many years. i have been happy with the several items I had made there over the years.

I believe that this post is endorsing Rajawongse (web site http://www.dress-for-success.com/ ) and not Raja's whose web site was linked to in another post.