Books About Thailand

Felix Lynn

I would love to find out your favorite book about Thailand, Thai culture, or maybe your favorite novel set in Thailand, or your favorite prison book or whatever. Books about Thailand. I've got five to post:

Wondering Into Thai Culture - Mont Redmond

Culture Shock - Robert and Nanthapa Cooper

The Greek Favorite of the King of Siam - Luang Stisayamkan (Not a bad read)

Thailand: A Short History - David K. Wyatt

Studies In Thailand - David K. Wyatt

Please any favorites you may have. Thanks! Happy New Year.

FL

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can read Thai and you love history, but not necessarily from a textbook perspective, then

นิทานโบราณคดี by

สมเด็จเจ้าบรมวงศ์เธอ กรมพระยาดำรงราชานุภาพ

is wonderful. One of my all-time favourites in any language.

Edited by Tarragona

Private Dancer by Stephen Leather and Touch the Dragon by Karen Connelly.

The first describes the Farang oriented sex-industry in Thailand perfectly, the second is the experiences of a young Canadian girl - an exchange student - living out in the boonies with no other foreigners, going to school with Thais and seeing the real Thailand. :o

Jake Needham's KILLING PLATO and LAUNDRY MAN.

Everyone mentions THE BIG MANGO first when they talk about Needham, probably because his other books have nothing at all to do with nightlife and there's nary a bar girl to be found anywhere in any of them. What Needham writes about is the daily experience of being an American expat in Bangkok and trying to lead a normal family life here (his hero is a business professor at Chula). As Stickman has said a whole lot of times, few old time expats in Thailand will read either KILLING PLATO or LAUNDRY MAN without nodding to themselves and saying, 'Yeah, man, that's exactly how it is.'

Unfortunately both books are hard to find in Thailand since so far they've only been published in hardback size.

A Nobel Prize for Literature nominee living in rural Isan? It's true! I recommend ANY of Pira Sudham's books. The author, from a little village in Buriram Province, was educated abroad and explains Isan culture to the rest of the world, writing in high-quality English, utilizing fiction as his medium. He has an excellent vantage point from three cultures: Thai, Isan and the West.

Especially if you live upcountry, well worth the read. My Isan university students confirm that his writings are culturally on-target. It has heavily influenced (and helped) my own relationships with the people of Isan.

Of his 5-6 books, I'd recommend starting with:

Monsoon Country

then

The Force of Karma

Both books are also combined into a recent anthology, Shadowed Country.

Edited by toptuan

A Nobel Prize for Literature nominee living in rural Isan?  It's true!

Oh, come on. And the Pope is my dad.

That self-promoting, no-talent idiot Sudham has been peddling that 'Nobel Prize' crap for years and you actually fell for it? Complete and utter rubbish. ANYONE can be nominated. All it takes is a letter. It doesn't have to be endorsed by anyone. You can write a letter and make Thaksin a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize. Gee, I wonder if he's thought of that....

As for Sudham's books.....well, in my view his 'Nobel Prize' fantasy is the best fiction he's ever written. The novels themselves are so poorly written that you will laugh and so brutally dull that you will have to. Unless you're one of those foreigners who think living in a dirt-floored Issan hut somehow makes you morally superior to everyone else, you'll never make it through one of them.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

A Nobel Prize for Literature nominee living in rural Isan?  It's true!

Oh, come on. And the Pope is my dad.

That self-promoting, no-talent idiot Sudham has been peddling that 'Nobel Prize' crap for years and you actually fell for it? Complete and utter rubbish. ANYONE can be nominated. All it takes is a letter. It doesn't have to be endorsed by anyone. You can write a letter and make Thaksin a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize. Gee, I wonder if he's thought of that....

As for Sudham's books.....well, in my view his 'Nobel Prize' fantasy is the best fiction he's ever written. The novels themselves are so poorly written that you will laugh and so brutally dull that you will have to. Unless you're one of those foreigners who think living in a dirt-floored Issan hut somehow makes you morally superior to everyone else, you'll never make it through one of them.

Actually, I thought that his books were interesting and weren't badly written for a local author, but I will admit that he's no John Steinbeck/George Orwell. :o

Why is this thread running again?

We have been here before, just look at the archives, and no-one has any new books to suggest. Why? Because there are not any....I agree that 'Everyone' should read Siam Mapped...it explains a lot without hammering it....and Mark Askew's Bangkok...the rest is history

A friend recommended a new book called "Very Thai", it is large coffee table size book, I haven't seen it myself but she loved it. She said it explains all those little things about Thailand that expats have always wondered about.

Like: it is Al Pacino as Serpico on the big trucks, apparently it is supposed to send a message to the police that the drivers are on to the police corruption, just like Serpico.

Lots of other little factoids too, apparently. I love useless esoteric knowledge like that, I will be sure to keep an eye out for it!

Regarding Sudham's books:  "Complete and utter rubbish...The novels themselves are so poorly written..."

Exactly which of his novels have you read?

I have personally met Mr. Sudham a half-dozen times over three years and currently have one of the characters of his non-fiction works as a student in my university class. He is highly respected by the Isan community, and comes well-recommended by academics in New Zealand, Australia and the U.K.

In my first-hand observation, Mr. Sudham has a genuine passion for righting the wrongs endured by the people of Isan over the last several generations--which is a heavy theme in all his writings. With the other poster, I would agree that he is no Steinbeck or Orwell, but as an instructor of Isan undergraduate and graduate English majors, I would evaluate his command of the English language as being well above the norm for any Thai author I have read.

Most importantly, I don't find him to be, at all, the charlatan and buffoon that you characterize him as. I would be interested in your sources for such scathing attacks on his character.

Somehow, "I think thou protesteth too much."

Edited by toptuan

"A Man Called Intrepid" translated by His Majesty King Bhumibol.

The story of Willian Stevenson during WW2. Admittedly, haven't got too far into it as yet since my Thai reading ability is somewhat rudimentary... :o

The first describes the Farang oriented sex-industry in Thailand perfectly, the second is the experiences of a young Canadian girl - an exchange student - living out in the boonies with  no other foreigners, going to school with Thais and seeing the real Thailand. :o

Why doesnt it surprise me that you endorse a piece of crap like Leathers book.

It is poorly written with many continuity errors, it also puts across the stereotypical view of the girls in a manner that so many of us here want to try and change.

If you want to read a good novel about Thailand, read "The Bangkok Secret" it is well researched and historically correct.

Guest endure
Regarding Sudham's books:  "Complete and utter rubbish...The novels themselves are so poorly written..."

Exactly which of his novels have you read?

I've read all his early novels which I thought were quite good. I picked up his later novel (Force of karma?) and found it be unmitigated tripe. It felt as though it was written by a man who'd swallowed a dictionary and wanted to prove how many words he knew.

A few of my favorites that come to mind include"

"Everyday Life in Thailand" by Niels Muldar. Long the bible for those of us dinosaurs who lived amongst the Thais back when ex-pats were fewer and further between than now. This book helped me come up with a face-saving Thai solution when my life was threatened by an influential figure many years ago.

"Political Conflict in Thailand" by Morell and Chai-Anan for explaining events in the 1970s that formed the more modern, and equally brutal, Thai politics.

"Thailand: A Short History" by David K. Wyatt, the best general history in English of the nation.

"Corruption and Democracy in Thailand " by Pasuk Phongpaichit and Sungsidh Piriyarangsan. Actually anything authored or co-authored by Achaan Pasuk could be on this list.

"Travelers Tales Thailand" edited by O'Reilly and Habegger. A book that gives one far more insight into Thai culture than those silly culture shock books.

"Siamese White" by Maurice Collis, a rip roaring tale of 17th century Euro-Thai interactions including the Phaulkon affair.

"Politics of Heroin" by McCoy, a must read for those living up north.

(A bit related would be books and articles by Chiang Mai's own Bertril Lintner)

"True Love and Bartholomew: Rebels on the Burmese Border" by Jonathan Fellas, OK not about Thailand per se but I have spent most of my time in Thailand with the Karen and this book is a good read about these hapless "rebels."

Any of the decades worth of academic articles by the Cornell group such as Wyatt, Keyes, Tambiah, Anderson and a host of others and their academic progeny such as Akin Rabibhadana. And here is a link to a lengthy and partially annotated list of academic books and articles collected by noted Thai scholar Charles Keyes:

http://www.lib.washington.edu/southeastasia/keyesbib.html

Jake Needham's KILLING PLATO and LAUNDRY MAN.

Unfortunately both books are hard to find in Thailand since so far they've only been published in hardback size.

I have seen both "The Big Mango" and "Killing Plato" in paperback in a number of places.

Both excellent reads.

Never heard of the "Laundryman" is that new?

Cheers

TP

The first describes the Farang oriented sex-industry in Thailand perfectly, the second is the experiences of a young Canadian girl - an exchange student - living out in the boonies with  no other foreigners, going to school with Thais and seeing the real Thailand. :D

Why doesnt it surprise me that you endorse a piece of crap like Leathers book.

Probably because it is the best book of its type that has been published so far and everyone that I've met who has lived in Thailand for a good number of years and has been involved in the bar scene agrees, including reviewers like Stickman who recommends it highly.

Stephen Leather is a professional writer with a number of international bestsellers to his credit and has spent a lot of time in Thailand and the bars. I would guess that he knows a lot more about Thailand, writing and the bar scene than you do. However, I'm sure that he would be absolutely crushed if learned of your opinion :o , but, if his writing is "poor", it will come as a surprise to the book critics who have given him a lot of good reviews and to his many fans as well.

By the way, whether you like it, or not, stereotypes often are true. That is the reason that they become stereotypes. :D

I have personally met Mr. Sudham a half-dozen times over three years.....In my first-hand observation, Mr. Sudham has a genuine passion for righting the wrongs endured by the people of Isan over the last several generations

And how exactly is this related to whether the man can write a coherent sentence, let alone an entire novel?

You are actually underscoring the very point I was making. If it weren't for a few patronizing, I'm-More-Culturally-Aware-Than-Thou academic snobs (such as yourself?) who insist on trying to set social standards for the rest of us ordinary folk, no one would ever have heard of Sudham. His heart may bleed, but he's a lousy writer.

And by the way, I've known him for almost ten years. Satisfied?

Private Dancer by Stephen Leather

Customer Reviews on Amazon.com

So true - One of the best I ever read, December 14, 2005

Reviewer: S. Pertz "SP11" (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews

WOW - This novel blew me away! I read it twice within 6 month! Back then it was still available as an online feature on Leather's webpage, so I read it on the screen of my PC.

Living in Asia for a while, I have been to Thailand a number of times. Reading the book you can almost smell the food-stalls, hear the screaming and shouting in Soi Cowboy, you get fully emersed in the story. It is dense with details and Leather doesn't miss out anything. And yes, the way the story is told is unique and fascinating! Besides that there is a fair amount of humor, tragic and real life in it.

By now I have read most of Leather's books, but Private Dancer is the best he did so far in my opinion. This does not mean the others are bad by any means, just that Private Dancer is a class of it's own. This is mainly due to the way the story is told.

Even after I read it twice, I will order the paperback and go for another round.

Would I give more than five stars? YES! It deserves at least 10...

:o

Edited by Ulysses G.

The Buddha in the Jungle by Kamala Tiyavanich.

"In The Buddha in the Jungle, real-life stories about 19th and early 20th century Buddhist monks in Thailand are ingeniously intermingled with experiences recorded by their Western contemporaries. Stories tell of giant snakes, bandits, boatmen, midwives, and guardian spirits and collectively portray a Buddhist culture in all its imaginative and geographical concreteness. By juxtaposing these eyewitness accounts, Kimala Tiyavanich presents a new and vivid picture of Buddhism as it was lived and of the natural environments in which the Buddha’s teachings were practiced."

Forest Recollections by Kamala Tiyavanich.

"During the first half of this century the forests of Thailand were home to wandering ascetic monks. They were Buddhists, but their brand of Buddhism did not copy the practices described in ancient doctrinal texts. Their Buddhism found expression in living day-to-day in the forest and in contending with the mental and physical challenges of hunger, pain, fear, and desire. Combining interviews and biographies with an exhaustive knowledge of archival materials and a wide reading of ephemeral popular literature, Kamala Tiyavanich documents the monastic lives of three generations of forest-dwelling ascetics and challenges the stereotype of state-centric Thai Buddhism. Although the tradition of wandering forest ascetics has disappeared, a victim of Thailand's relentless modernization and rampant deforestation, the lives of the monks presented here are a testament to the rich diversity of regional Buddhist traditions. The study of these monastic lineages and practices enriches our understanding of Buddhism in Thailand and elsewhere."

The story of Willian Stevenson during WW2.  Admittedly, haven't got too far into it as yet since my Thai reading ability is somewhat rudimentary... :o

...interesting. Stevenson fairly recently wrote a book called The Revolutionary King, which he claims was written after HM invited him to interview him (after HM read A Man Called Interpid, Stevenson claims). It's the story of HM's life.

The book has been banned in Thailand, even though I could find no disclaimer from HM published anywhere. Some reports said Stevenson has been ruled a persona non grata in the Kingdom.

You can find a pretty good discourse on this on Wikipedia.org.

The story of Willian Stevenson during WW2.  Admittedly, haven't got too far into it as yet since my Thai reading ability is somewhat rudimentary... :D

...interesting. Stevenson fairly recently wrote a book called The Revolutionary King, which he claims was written after HM invited him to interview him (after HM read A Man Called Interpid, Stevenson claims). It's the story of HM's life.

The book has been banned in Thailand, even though I could find no disclaimer from HM published anywhere. Some reports said Stevenson has been ruled a persona non grata in the Kingdom.

You can find a pretty good discourse on this on Wikipedia.org.

The book is extremely supportive of the King and points out that he is an excellent human being and a hero.

Stevenson is not so positive about some of Thailand's other leaders. THAT is why the book is banned. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

"Asia Hand" and others by Christopher Moore - very entertaining read, well written, suspenseful and with plenty of BKK and Thailand insiders

Christopher Moore's books are many things but they are definitely not well written.I sat next to him a few years ago at an Oxford and Cambridge dinner in Bangkok where he seemed very out of place.He didn't seem to know anyone and anyway nobody would have been interested in his deriviative and tedious bargirl/detective tripe.He's one of those writers like Stephen Leather that is much admired by the ignorant.He's good looking though I must admit!