British Woman R_aped On Holiday In Pattaya

george

British woman raped on holiday in Thai resort

PATTAYA: -- A BRITISH woman has been r_aped in Thailand after accepting a lift home from a party by a young Thai man on a motorcycle, just weeks after another holidaymaker was murdered.

The 28-year-old woman from Liverpool had been holidaying in the Thai resort of Pattaya, 100 miles east of Bangkok, and had been at a party in the beach resort with friends.

After offering to take the woman to her hotel, the man instead drove her to a secluded spot and raped her in the early hours of Saturday. He was later reported to have apologised after the attack. Police in Pattaya said: "We have a 19-year-old man in custody who will be charged with rape and will appear in court on Wednesday."

Following the attack and in the wake of the rape and murder of Reading University student Katherine Horton on the Thai island of Koh Samui, senior police from Bangkok rushed to Pattaya to supervise the investigation.

The two Thai fishermen accused of murdering and raping 21-year-old Ms Horton, from Thornill, Cardiff, will be sentenced on Wednesday.

--Scotsman.com 2006-01-16

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man charged with raping British tourist in Pattaya

Police in Thailand said Monday a 19-year-old man had been charged with raping a British tourist at the weekend in the beach in Pattaya, two weeks after a Welsh student was raped and killed in Koh Samui.

The 29-year-old woman told police early Sunday that she had been raped by a Thaiman who she believed was a motorcycle taxi driver, police Colonel Somnuk Changate said.

She had asked the man to take her to a pedestrian street in Pattaya after leaving a party late Saturday, he said. Instead, the man took her to the beach and allegedly raped her, Somnuk said.

Hours later, police arrested Pipatpong Raksin, who allegedly admitted to raping the woman, Somnuk said. He said that DNA evidence had confirmed Pipatpongas the attacker. The man was charged later Sunday.

Source: The Nation - Jan 16 , 2006

Additional info from Channel News Asia:

Police Colonel Somnuk Changate said Pipatpong was expected to appear in court within the week, he said, adding that he expected the case to be wrapped up by the time the woman was due to leave Thailand on February 6.

He added the case would unavoidably affect tourism but that the quick arrest should reassure vacationers.

"The arrest shows that the police took the case seriously, and it proves our capability to take care of tourists," he said.

From today's Daily Mail.

Police in the Thai beach resort of Pattaya said they had detained a man suspected of raping a British tourist after offering her a ride on his motorcycle.

Police arrested the 19-year-old after the 29-year-old woman from Liverpool told police she had been raped by a Thai man, said police Major Apimuk Amnartmankong.

The suspect faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

The arrest came just two weeks after another British tourist, 21-year-old Katherine Horton, of Cardiff, was raped and murdered on New Year's Day in the southern beach resort of Koh Samui.

Two Thai fisherman are on trial for the crime, which carries the death penalty.

The pair are expected to be sentenced on Wednesday.

Police said the alleged rape in Pattaya happened on Saturday evening, when the woman was waiting for a taxi and a man pulled up on his motorcycle and offered her a ride, which she accepted. Motorcycle taxis are common in Thailand.

The man allegedly stopped the motorcycle on a dark road, dragged the woman into an area of bushes and raped her, the woman told police.

Pattaya, about 70 miles south east of Bangkok, is known for its beaches, its thriving sex industry and high crime rate.

If you read the P.M's statement on the Catherine Horton murder, you will be left in no doubt that all he cared about was the effects the publicity would have on tourism, and he couldn't give a hoot about the suffering and distress of those involved. For the country's leader to demand the death penalty before the trial had even taken place was a travesty of any kind of justice. I followed the case carefully in the UK press and on BBC radio, including many phone ins - and no one was impressed with the P.M.'s statements or with the swiftness of the trial. Ok these 2 guys probably did it - but who can really know in a justice system where tortured confessions are common place and intereference with forensic and other eveidence are par for the course. It wouldn't surprise me if the families of the accused are in for a little windfall as part of the deal. I'm not sure the Brits want retribution in this way. The speed of the trial was almost obscene considering the usual slow march of court proceedings here, which can sometimes take years to reach a conclusion - witness the cops let off in the recent the Somchai murder case. Of course it's all very tragic and all my sympathies go to the poor young woman who was raped in Pattaya - but as a matter of interest, I wonder how many rapes and even murders happen in other parts of the tourist world - Florida? Spain? Carribean? Malaysia, etc etc. Any stats on this? Is Thailand that bad? Is it any worse than Blackpool even? I'd be interested to know. Your 'average' ordinary guy in Thailand ( if there is such a thing) is no worse than your average guy any where in the world, and a bloody site better than many. It's the venal fat cats at the top of the pile that make life so wretched for so many, and if Thailand has a bad reputaion, then look no further for the cause.

There will always be men that are behind civilisation and many of the rural Thai men are still very behind - almost to the extent of neanderthal men who used to club their women over the head and drag them back to their cave and have sex with them.

I don't think castration is the answer.

Execution as a cure and education as prevention.

English woman raped in Jomtien. Suspect arrested and charged.

A case of suspected rape now from Jomtien involving a female English Tourist which is sure to have repercussions as the story is all over the International press. The case begins on Saturday afternoon when a woman who we will not name for her protection aged 29 from Liverpool, England was enjoying herself with friends in the Tepprasit Road where she participated in a game of “Toglor”, a popular sport here in Thailand.

She had just completed a modeling assignment here in Thailand and decided not to follow the crew and other models back to the UK and instead decided to spend a further week here in Pattaya. On Saturday evening she had arranged to meet friends in Walking Street and waited for a motorbike taxi in front of the KK Advertising Shop.

A Thai man approached on a bike and claimed he was a motorbike taxi driver and could send her to Walking Street but claimed he wanted to go back to his apartment first to collect a safety helmet for her to wear. He made the planned detour to his apartment in Soi 17 on the Tepprasit Road where he allegedly raped the woman in wasteland at the rear of his room.

After the attack, the woman called the Tourist Police who quickly made their way to the location and took her back to Dongtan Police sub-station on Jomtien Beach to make a report of the incident. A full description of the attacker was given and Police began to hunt for him.

On Sunday morning, she accompanied Police to Dongtan Police sub-station where an identity parade was held consisting of five possible suspects. She picked out the arrested individual and suspected rapist named as Khun Pipatpong aged 19 from Nakhon Nayok Province. He confessed to the crime and on Sunday, a reconstruction of the crime took place at the area of wasteland inside Soi 17 which was located just behind the suspect’s apartment. He pointed to the location of the alleged assault and graphically described the attack to officers.

The victim is due to return to England on 9th February and we understand that a trial date for the accused has already been set and the case should be concluded before she returns. The suspect faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison without the possibility of an early release if convicted.

With the case involving 21 year old Katherine Horton, from Wales, who was raped and murdered on New Year's Day in Koh Samui, further damage to the reputation of Thailand as a tourist destination is expected because of this second serious criminal case involving a female tourist from the UK in the space of one month.

Monday 16th January 2006

www.pattayacitynews.net

Sounds as though she was misled by him claiming he was a motor cycle taxi driver....after all the only usual way to recognise one is by the vest and number they wear, and sometimes they don`t wear them.

They also usually carry a spare helmet for their passenger.

Very sad and again negative news for Thailand.... I am sure the media will make the most of it as usual.

Ironically the more the Thai government tries to curb the sex industry, the more rapes will occur. I don’t get it, this guy could not afford to find a lady? You can’t walk 100 meters without getting hit on there.

Who knows what was going through his mind, but he obviously didn`t want to pay for a lady or maybe he fancied his chances with a farang lady....whatever he thought he was quite happy to commit this despicable act.

One can only hope that the victim can put this terrible experience behind her with the passing of time.

Sounds as though she was misled by him claiming he was a motor cycle taxi driver....after all the only usual way to recognise one is by the vest and number they wear, and sometimes they don`t wear them.

They also usually carry a spare helmet for their passenger.

Very sad and again negative news for Thailand.... I am sure the media will make the most of it as usual.

Those that live in LOS and those that are frequent visitors know that the m/c taxi guys wear numbered vests, you can't expect a first time? tourist to know that.

Well, then an unknowing, first-time tourist should think twice before taking such a means of transport...I don't know many people who were confident enough to try moto-taxis the first time they came here, especially at night.

Well, then an unknowing, first-time tourist should think twice before taking such a means of transport...I don't know many people who were confident enough to try moto-taxis the first time they came here, especially at night.

Sound advice Florin, isn't hindsight good.

have to agree with this statement everyone must use common sense when you travel in or outside your country. this will not be the last woman to be attacked in thailand but i hope it will not be for a longtime. there is not enough police patrols to stop this from happening again. I am very sorry for the lady and hope the correct punishment is given to this person. please all you ladys out there in the land of smiles be very carefull and always travel in two"s if you can.

hi

Iam sorry to hear that another british lady being raped,and i agree with kurgen Stick his apology where the sun don't shine and castrate him.

i hope they lock him away for long time

The problem in Thailand is that the police has zero credibility - negative even considering they do anything for bribes even their official business of policing the roads is mostly about making money and very little if at all about ensuring public safety.

The other problem is that the justice system, while better than the police, isn't very trustworthy either. Mostly because of a close collaboration with police.

Therefore, in both the Horton case and this case, it's impossible to know the truth. In the west, guilt/non-guilt would be 100% clear because there would be DNA tests from the semen and that would be that. In Thailand - who knows? There might be DNA tests but the results could just as well be faked as they could be real. Police plant speed pills on people they don't like in this country every day. Police shoot "suspects". Guilty until proven innocent is an accepted principle - remember the war on drugs dealers which ended in the deaths of thousands of suspects who were shot without trial? The public figured they must have done something if they were on the black lists.

In both the recent rape / rape and murder cases, there was an extremely strong pressure to "solve" them "quickly". The police and justice system has all the motivation in the world to quickly blame somebody, preferably kill them so there's no going back, and close the cases. Like in a bad movie, only it's real.

I hope they caught the right guys - the crimes were unforgivable. But will we ever know? No, we won't - and that is the dark legacy of a corrupt legislative and executive.

Ironically the more the Thai government tries to curb the sex industry, the more rapes will occur. I don’t get it, this guy could not afford to find a lady? You can’t walk 100 meters without getting hit on there.

I agree John. I've seen blokes who look like the south end of a camel heading north pick up with no trouble at all. All I can say is this guy must have had a face you could sole your shoes with.

Virgil

A Thai man approached on a bike and claimed he was a motorbike taxi driver and could send her to Walking Street but claimed he wanted to go back to his apartment first to collect a safety helmet for her to wear. He made the planned detour to his apartment in Soi 17 on the Tepprasit Road where he allegedly raped the woman in wasteland at the rear of his room.

So she rode on the back of his bike to near his house without a helmet to pick up a helmet that she could wear to Walking Street. He had told her where he lived or at least the general vicinity...and allegedly raped her in that area.....

DNA does not prove rape....It only shows that the male has had sex with the girl. The subject of consent is another issue entirely.

Now for the confession...as I said in the Samui thread....Sometimes faced with DNA evidence the person may confess...after all he probably has limited knowledge of the DNA system....look at this, this way....

Semen + DNA + Dead body= Murder and possible but likely rape

Semen + DNA = a sexual encounter but without supporting evidence then it means nothing, it just means they had sex.

So far I have yet to see supporting evidence presented in the reports. There is nothing to suggest she was a first time tourist based on the reports listed here.

Could I suggest it would be unlikely that a rapist would work so close to home and tell her where he lived....Could this be a case of mistaken but honest belief.....could it be that she has cried rape because of whatever reason ?????

We also have three different scenarios now...a wasteland behind his apartment, a dark road, and the beach.....

Sorry guys the inconsistancies are here that are not here in the other case.....

If he did it, he deserves all he gets....but there are discrepancies here....he needs legal advice and quick before the less objective members of TV string him up from the nearest tree.

DNA evidence has proved he did it? It takes more than a couple hours for DNA results to process, sounds to me like the police are ready to start making examples of these tourism-killers... and rightly so...

Som nom na

I agree. DNA samples must be taken from separate police stations to separate labs and tested separately. Then sent to an independent lab for checking while being cross matched at the other 2 labs. 3 positive results will provide a match with odds ... not a perfect match, but odds of say 1:25,000,000 or something like that. All this couldn't have been done on a Sunday in Pattaya.

Virgil

DNA evidence has proved he did it? It takes more than a couple hours for DNA results to process, sounds to me like the police are ready to start making examples of these tourism-killers... and rightly so...

Som nom na

I agree. DNA samples must be taken from separate police stations to separate labs and tested separately. Then sent to an independent lab for checking while being cross matched at the other 2 labs. 3 positive results will provide a match with odds ... not a perfect match, but odds of say 1:25,000,000 or something like that. All this couldn't have been done on a Sunday in Pattaya.

Virgil

I agree as well....the Samui guys were rushed to Bangkok for testing....in this case the Bangkok police rushed to Pattaya.....the facilities for testing in Pattaya would not be as comprehensive as in Bangkok.... more discrepancies.

Som nom na

Virgil

In a perfect world absolutely, however, this is not a perfect world The authorities are unable to follow the correct procedures in the UK on many occasions. With the pressure of the international media on them it is not surprising that speed is seen as the most important thing and unfortunately following the rules becomes secondary.

Very sad :D

But... What was she thinking by taking the ride in first place? :o

She was thinking that he was the motorcycle taxi that he claimed to be. And not being resident here, she'd have no way of picking up on signs that he wasn't.

I agree John. I've seen blokes who look like the south end of a camel heading north pick up with no trouble at all. All I can say is this guy must have had a face you could sole your shoes with.

Virgil

Nonsense. It's the money not the looks that determine landing a prostitute.

Men do not rape beacuse they want sex. They rape because they want to rape. Rape is about violence and power, an act of hatred and aggression.

Look at the pair in Samui. They didn't go ashore looking to score and then rape because they failed. They went ashore having already decided specifically to rape. No attempt at all to pick up a woman.

People seem to be forgetting in regards to did this guy really do it or not, unlike the Horton murder....this woman is still alive and, thus, she should be able to affirm he was the man who did it.