Debit Card Problems

hello,

is anybody else having problems with their debit cards? i tried several machines, and kept getting a "communication error". i then went to tops and was able to use it for a point of purchase. seeing as i was in hat yai on my visa run with no cash, and on my motor-scooter, i purchased a 15 liter plastic container and strapped it to the step through section of the bike, thinking i would be able to buy gas at least and return home. i found out that the least you can charge on your credit card for gas is around 400 to 600 baht. so of course i get to the gas station and the card is "rejected". this was at a caltex station, so these people were familiar with my bank, bank of america. they called them for me and the lady at the bank said something to the effect that i am only able to use the card two weeks out of the month now. anybody else ever heard of anything like this? luckily my girlfriend was with me, and she had her sister wire some money to the Bangkok Bank. at 3.30 in the afternoon, and on a friday. lol! the card is only a few months old, but maybe the magnetic strip has been damaged?

Wells Fargo and BofA in the US have issued a fraud alert for Thailand and Phillipines so many cards are not working. I have been told they will reissue new cards but I have not confirmed this.

It is alos only for ATM cards with Visa debit capability as this can be a pinless transaction so ti is ripe for fraud.

Check your accounts with online banking or a phone call now.

yes, that is exactly the card i have, and luckily my account hasn't been ransacked. i have been procrastinating opening another account for a long time, but now here in thailand it is even more difficult than before because everyone wants a work permit.

where did you find out about this fraud alert, and how long has this been an issue?

thanks,john

yes, that is exactly the card i have, and luckily my account hasn't been ransacked. i have been procrastinating opening another account for a long time, but now here in thailand it is even more difficult than before because everyone wants a work permit.

where did you find out about this fraud alert, and how long has this been an issue?

thanks,john

No ! They dont all want a work permit. :o

Naka.

thanks,john

NEW YORK, March 8 (Reuters) - Citigroup Inc. on Wednesday said customers had money illegally withdrawn from their accounts on debit cards used in Canada, the United Kingdom and Russia, the latest in a series of data breaches involving U.S. banks.

The largest U.S. bank said it detected "several hundred fraudulent cash withdrawals" in mid-February. It said it halted PIN-based, or personal identification number-based, transactions in the locations involved and will provide new cards to victimized customers.

Citigroup said its Citibank unit had learned of a security breach last year involving a third party. The breach occurred in the United States, a person familiar with the matter said.

Bank of America Corp. and Washington Mutual Inc. took similar steps to protect customers after Visa USA, the credit card association, in February reported a data security breach at a U.S. merchant.