Two Jobs On One Work Permit

I've just done a search and I didnt really find an answer to my questions. Hope somebody can help!

Question1.

While doing my search I read that you can add another school to your work permit. What is the procedure for doing this as I also work at a language center and I guess, technically, i'm working illegally and I dont want to?

So 2 schools on a work permit, can it be done?

Question 2.

I want to change schools, same province, without cancelling WP and leaving Thailand. Can this be done? What is the procedure?

Many Thanks

Yes, you can have more than one employer. In your WP are a couple of pages, where new employers and/or new job-descriptions can be added.

I want to change schools, same province, without cancelling WP and leaving Thailand. Can this be done? What is the procedure?

I suspect no, but this is only a guess - don't take my word for it. If you look in your WP, you'll find your first employer's name in a prominent place - at level with your own name. Cancelling/voiding his name would (technically) be similiar to cancelling/voiding your name. I'd suspect, that if you skip your first employer (your very special co-applicant for the WP), you're voiding the grounds, on which that particular WP, was given. In most other cases (like e.g. visa) this would mean restarting from square one.

Thanks for the info, though it still seems still rather unclear.

I was told before, not sure how reliable the info was, that if you change employers your old employer has to go with you to the labor dept, or some place similar, to change your WP. This is the reason why most employees have to cancel and start again. Basically I want to switch my work permit to my language center. I will continue to work at the school. I know the school will be happy to do this especially as they wont have to pay for future permits.

Edited by DUMPSTER

I have never held a work permit so have not commented but from reading do not believe it is a problem to add another as long as in the same administrative area. But also know place A may not read the book the same way as place B so asking them would be the best idea.

Question1.

While doing my search I read that you can add another school to your work permit. What is the procedure for doing this as I also work at a language center and I guess, technically, i'm working illegally and I dont want to?

Yes or even three or four schools as your employers.

Question 2.

I want to change schools, same province, without cancelling WP and leaving Thailand. Can this be done?

Yes if you have a multi entry visa. You simply add employer #2 and then cxl employer #1 in the work permit.

Yes also if you have a extension of stay based on business. In this case, you have to add the second employer to the work permit. You can not cxl employer #1 in the work permit until 6 months have passed.( Employer #1 has to be ok with this and not cxl you either) If you cxl employer #1 before 6 months are up. The Labor Dept can state this was fraud as you knew you were leaving employer #1, ( the extension of stay Immigration granted was based on company #1 and not by them looking at the qualifications of company #2.)

If its the second option and you will not be working for employer #1 for 6 more months. You have to turn in your work permit, if company #2 can get you a extension of stay based on business, then you can apply for this the same day you reapply for the work permit. Otherwise you'll need to leave Thailand in 7 days and come back in on a non immigrant visa.

www.lawyer.th.com

Thanks Sunbelt Asia, Excellent info. This is what I thought the law was but couldn't find anywhere or anyone to confirm it.

So, as I have a Non B visa, I simply add my new school to my work permit and, if I want, I can cancel school number 1 and I can do that anytime or do I have to wait 6 months to cancel?

Thanks Sunbelt Asia, Excellent info. This is what I thought the law was but couldn't find anywhere or anyone to confirm it.

So, as I have a Non B visa, I simply add my new school to my work permit and, if I want, I can cancel school number 1 and I can do that anytime or do I have to wait 6 months to cancel?

I surmise your Non B visa is the type that you must leave every 90 days,you then reenter Thailand with a fresh 90 day stamp. If this is the case, after you add school #2 to the work permit, cxl school #1 at anytime.

www.lawyer.th.com

I used the non B to get a work permit now all I do is report every 90 days. The visa and work permit were renewed last year at the same time, not sure if I had to renew visa first or other way round, and they are due to be renewed again in early June.

I used the non B to get a work permit now all I do is report every 90 days. The visa and work permit were renewed last year at the same time, not sure if I had to renew visa first or other way round, and they are due to be renewed again in early June.

Your "non B" in your case, is called an extension of stay based on business. It is no longer just called a "non B" as you have extended the visa.

In this case, when you add the second employer to the work permit. You can not cxl employer #1 in the work permit until 6 months have passed.( Employer #1 has to be ok with this and not cxl you either) If you cxl employer #1 before 6 months are up. The Labor Dept can state this was fraud as you knew you were leaving employer #1, ( the extension of stay Immigration granted was based on company #1 and not by them looking at the qualifications of company #2.)

If you will not be working for employer #1 for 6 more months. You have to turn in your work permit when you decide to quit and before going to work for company #2. If company #2 can get you a extension of stay based on business, then you can apply for this the same day you reapply for the work permit. Otherwise you'll need to leave Thailand in 7 days and come back in on a non immigrant "B" visa and travel outside Thailand every 90 days on a visa run.

Good luck.

www.lawyer.th.com