Farang Woman Married Thai Man = Visa ?

Hello,

Before everything i would like to introduce myself, i'm french so excuse my english please !

I 'm a french woman married with thai since 4 years already, officialy, in france and in thailand.

I try to find law about immigration translate in english but every thing i read it's concern "farang" man married with thai woman.

So, in my quality of woman what can I have as VISA ?

Can i have thai nationality (if my children is thai ?) and keep my french nationality ? (I speak thai a little)

NB : I wait our first baby who will have the double nationality (will born in october)

I Would like come for a long term in thailand, in 2007, make a little business maybe.

Buy a house certainely.

I have only 32 years old, so retired is far for me.

I ask to french embassy and the answer that i had is that i'm a woman I don't need show 800 000 bahts or ssomethings like that.

Of course I will take some information in Thai embassy in France.

Thanks for your help,

Muriel

There have been a few posts about this already, but as a woman with a thai husband you can apply for a non-immigrant visa in your own country and then once you get here you apply for a one year extension to your visa. This does not require a show of funds but requirements do vary from place to place so once you come be sure to go to your local immigration office and find out what they need.

We show bank account (but not certified copy and there are no income requirements), marriage license, business license, house registration papers, his id card, his tax receipt, and copies of every thai visa in my passport.

Citizenship is easier for women with Thai husbands but there are income requirements for that and I haven't had much luck with getting it. I have been told that I must apply in the province my husband is registered in (and they don't know what to do) but have since learned I may be able to apply in Bangkok. Since it was the Bangkok office that told me I have to apply in my husband's home province, I am not too hopeful. But, we shall see.

When you are ready to move here be sure to post again, always happy to help!

I personally know four farang women (one British, three American) who have married Thai men and received Thai citizenship via marriage. In none of the four cases did the foreign women have any income other than their Thai husband's income, but I have no idea what kind of paper shuffling they may have done to accommodate the income requirements sbk alludes to. The action is called 'transfer of citizenship' (ohn san-chaat) and is a right granted only to Thai men married to foreign women, despite the 1997 constitution, which grants equal rights to both genders.

Citizenship is easier for women with Thai husbands

Mumu, this is covered by section 9 of Thailand’s Nationality Act, the English translation of which you can download here if you don’t have it already.

Bonne chance!

---------------

Maestro

I personally know four farang women (one British, three American) who have married Thai men and received Thai citizenship via marriage. In none of the four cases did the foreign women have any income other than their Thai husband's income, but I have no idea what kind of paper shuffling they may have done to accommodate the income requirements sbk alludes to. The action is called 'transfer of citizenship' (ohn san-chaat) and is a right granted only to Thai men married to foreign women, despite the 1997 constitution, which grants equal rights to both genders.

Sabaijai, it is a fairly new requirement, at least this is what the Special Branch Police officer in charge of citizenship applications told my husband two years ago. I assume, since it came from the person who is in charge of these things for Bangkok that he does know what he is talking about.

It has nothing to do with income requirements of the women and everything to do with the husband. I can't remember off the top of my head the amount but the Thai husband has to have paid income tax on a certain amount of money for the previous 3 years.

Sabaijai, I would be very interested in knowing when and where your friends applied for citizenship. We were told very specifically by the SB Police in Bangkok that we had to apply at the Special Branch Police office in the province of my husband's residence. Unfortunately for us, the Surat Thani Special Branch (both provincial and city levels) don't even know what we are talking about much less how to process the application. So, if you wouldn't mind getting your friends' stories, I, for one, would be very interested to hear how they did it.

hello all,

thanks very much for your reply.

It's just that I want to know !

But i would like to know if i can take thai nationality (hope is life !!) if i loose my french nationality (i don't want that !) ?

My husband live in France with me since 5 years so i don't pay some tax in thailand ...

He come from I-san (Khon kaen) ...

His family have some rice plantations and houses there.

We will buy a house in khon kaen (i think).

Thanks again for your quicly reply !

Muriel

• 1 month later...

Section 9. An alien woman who marries a person of Thai nationality shall, if she desires to acquire Thai nationality, file an application with the competent official according to the form and in the manner prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

The granting or refusal of permission for acquisition of Thai nationality shall lie with the discretion of the Minister.

Does anyone know if you can have dual citizenship, say Canadian/Thai?

Having Canadian citizenship or having both is advantageous but

I don't see an advantage of having only Thai citizenship, apart from not having to go to immigration every 3 months for the rest of my life.