Giving Blood

BlackJack

I don' have the address but it is in the Red Cross Building next to Chula Hospital (across Rama 4 road). Many of my Thai friends tell me it is safe and a Thai nurse at the hospital told me she donates blood several times a year. Got to look into it myself one ofhese days.

It's a great idea to give blood in Thailand. I've done it on six occasions in the past two years and have been treated royally (literally and figuratively, since I was even given some sort of thank you amulet with a picture of the King). The Thai staff at the CM Red Cross knows me by name already, which probably shows how rare it is that farangs give blood. We can create enormous good feeling by regularly donating blood in Thailand.

My Blood group is

A Rh+

according to my old military records. Would this be problem if I would need blood here in Thailand?

Mine is A Rh+ as well, George. We would be all right if we ever needed blood! :o

Ususally giving blood should not be dangerous this even in Thailand or other country in the world... It's more risky to receive blood ....

Also, check this few points to get a better idea on the place you will donate blood:

- Is the blood center in the owerall clean... example no food stuff next to the medical devices ( I saw already plates with rice and fishes in OP rooms in BKK) :D

- Does the blood center use sterile donation set ... are they opened in front of you, just before the venipuncture.... also check the expiration date of the set...

- Does the center use standard whole blood donation bag size ( ~ 500ml ), be carefull of over drawn volume .... :o

Nongchaich

It's a great idea to give blood in Thailand. I've done it on six occasions in the past two years and have been treated royally (literally and figuratively, since I was even given some sort of thank you amulet with a picture of the King). The Thai staff at the CM Red Cross knows me by name already, which probably shows how rare it is that farangs give blood. We can create enormous good feeling by regularly donating blood in Thailand.

thay must have seen that you have blue blood

:o

IT'S ALWAYS SAFE TO DONATE BLOOD. (SORRY I CAN'T FIND MY CAPS LOCK, THIS IS NOT A FLAME). IF YOU'VE HAD ANY OF THE BLOOD TRANSMITTABLE ILLNESSES: AIDS, SOME HERPES , ALL HEPATITIS. IT WOULD BE UNWISE TO DONATE, AS THE DONEE WOULD SHARE THE PROBLEM

• 4 months later...

I wonder if anybody has had any similar problems with donating blood. I went Siriraj hospital today to donate some blood and I was turned down because I lived in Europe between 1980 and 1996 and ate meat. They would not take my blood because of fear of Mad Cow Disease, the only mad cow I know is my gf :o , but I see their point. I just didn't think our blood was in a danger zone for donating (I'm from Engalnd), and has our govt mentioned how at risk we are? Ah well, least I'm safe from vampires :D . Anyone had a similar experience let me know.

I wonder if anybody has had any similar problems with donating blood. I went Siriraj hospital today to donate some blood and I was turned down because I lived in Europe between 1980 and 1996 and ate meat. They would not take my blood because of fear of Mad Cow Disease, the only mad cow I know is my gf :o , but I see their point. I just didn't think our blood was in a danger zone for donating (I'm from Engalnd), and has our govt mentioned how at risk we are? Ah well, least I'm safe from vampires :D . Anyone had a similar experience let me know.

Have you read the current newspapers? Looks like it may be much more widespread that previously known.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...w/99598/1/.html

• 10 months later...

Was wondering if anyone knows about age limits for giving blood. I am 56, in good health, English, have O Rhesus Negative blood, and recently went to enquire about giving blood at National Blood in Bangkok (Henri Dunant Road). I was immediately told that there was an age limit of 55. I was also asked if I ate beef in England and when I had last been in England. There were no other questions and I was ushered out, though I was offered a mug of Ovaltine on the way. Checking around the Net, I see that many countries specifically state that they have no age limit for giving blood. Does anyone know what the reality might be? Is it age, Mad Cow, a surfeit of blood...?