Tip'ing In Thailand

Spellbound

TIP is actually an acronym of “To Insure Promptness”

What do you Tip ? Do you Tip ? When do you Tip ?

In former times people were used to give the tip before receiving any service, but later people thought it would make more sense to wait until the service was performed – so as the tip could be adjusted to the level of satisfaction that one felt was received. Would this work in Thailand ?, for some strange reason I think it would. I have the inkling, the next time I go into a new place / restaurant / bar to tip before hand and see what happens. The only issue of course is whether they would just pocket it and carry on in the same old way.

I tip a “soi restaurant every time I go there, and make no mistakes their service towards me is just great. I do tip in many places , even Taxi drivers and I feel I don’t go mad with tipping.

:-examples

Soi restaurant 20-30 thb (on about 500 spend)

Taxi service on average about 15 –20% (but I have to like the driver)

Mid Class restaurants 100-150 (on about 2000 spend)

I very often also give an extra tip to the person that gave the service and place it in their hand and tell them (this is for you, not to share) the tip I leave on the table is normally for the pool/share pot. This has proved to very useful in some places because as soon as I am seen coming, they make a bee-line for me and make sure I get looked after.

Would love others thoughts on Tipping and how much if at all.

Spellbound - I assume you are a colonial, or ex-colonial (e.g. septic).

The English would be 'to ENSURE promptness'.

Only the septics maul and mangle the Eng. Lang. to the extent of mis-spelling words and then fitting acronyms to the resulting garbage.

(This is not intended as a 'flame' but I do get pee'ed off with American spelling at times.)

Spellbound - I assume you are a colonial, or ex-colonial (e.g. septic).

The English would be 'to ENSURE promptness'.

Hi UP2U. Sorry to disappoint you! But I am a true Brit (PIP PIP Governor)

I don’t want to get involved with any American bashing, we have seen enough of Nationalistic bashing on this site (and I don’t want to get banned by an Admin bod, mention no names but IT can get us slapped down for a bit)

Anyway under the new Cambridge University Press Dictionary yes your right the spelling should be Ensure, but it also states Insure used by our American cousins. Seeing that this is a World Wide site I feel either spelling would be acceptable.

For your info, TIP is used world wide, and was actually invented by us Brits, It was common in English pubs several hundred years ago to have a box next to the door, with the initials, T.I.P.S., which stood for :To Insure Prompt Service:

Back to the Topic I feel, ABOUT TIPS.

Guest timbee

i have to note here that the word Up2U is actually looking for is "sceptic" - "septic" being a word we brits use for sanitary issues, as in "septic tank", which also happens to be rhyming slang for "a yank" ... not to be confused with what people head down to the pong for, which is "a tug" ... (with due PC respect to those facing typing challenges, our american cousins, and to the many denizens of patpong).

i have to note here that the word Up2U is actually looking for is "sceptic" - "septic" being a word we brits use for sanitary issues, as in "septic tank", which also happens to be rhyming slang for "a yank" ... not to be confused with what people head down to the pong for, which is "a tug" ... (with due PC respect to those facing typing challenges, our american cousins, and to the many denizens of patpong).

Sorry, wrong.

Septic (as in septic tank) rhymes with Yank and is used for our former colony for that reason and because it is full of the sweet brown stuff (not ale!)

I very often also give an extra tip to the person that gave the service and place it in their hand and tell them (this is for you, not to share)
you're right, if you want the server to get a tip it has to go into her hand, most farangs in bars don't know this as all the tips end up in a box split up at the end of the night.
This has proved to very useful in some places because as soon as I am seen coming, they make a bee-line for me and make sure I get looked after.

yes you can be a VIP after that if it was a good tip and she remembers you.

tipping amounts way more than normal is considered stupid in the eyes of the thais, they will take it but laugh.

Tipping is NOT the custom in Thailand. Thais usually just leave the loose change - thats why some bars put a lot of change in the change. I have never actually heard of a Thai person refusing a tip - I lie, when I left my mobile phone in an Internet shop and went back later the young student cashier refused Bt100 gratuity.

Taxis do not expect a tip unless you have farang tourist stamped on your forehead. For a fare of 62 baht they happily accept Bt60. Restaurants and bars are similar. Often when farangs tip their Thai friend will remove some and say "too much".

I am not an advocate of mean-ness just suggest that you are aware of the norm before you make your personal decision to leave something or not. Americans seem to be incapable of not tipping and have many hangups on the subject - they are browbeaten into thinking that everywhere in the world is the same as the U.S.

A useage of the word 'tip' iis unique to Thailand. This refers to a payment for sexual favours and in this case To Insure Prompt Service is not the definition.

My dictionary has ensure as a meaning for insure. I guess that is really encorrect.

Hear hear...! ;-) First on-topic reply to the issue raised, and I agree with pretty much every syllable of it! ;-)

I even like paying with credit card as there's no loose change involved that would tempt me to leave as a tip! ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

:o hej guys...

whatabout Increase instead of Insure .... ?

anyhow one of those resent postings seems to be correct: mostly americans are the ones who "destroy" usual (local) long-time rules. Tipping is NOT usual but you can feel free to do so REALLY depending on the friendlyness and effeciency the work was done. So I suggest you better never tip in advance on the very first time you use that service (restaurant, bar, taxi whatever) BUT - if service was good - you may tip the NEXT TIME you visit the location...

I always tip in restaurants unless the service is especially bad and usually a 20 baht note in the hand of the waiter/waitress for themselves. I will also tip the car park attendant another 20 baht although I prefer it when they don't lift up the windscreen wipers!

Taxis...sometimes but only small change.

For a fare of 62 baht they happily accept Bt60.

I don't know how you would get a fare of 62 baht since the meter starts at 35 and increses in 2 baht increments. But yeah, for a fare of 61 or even 63 the driver will often give you 40 baht change out of a 100.

Some of the attendants hanging around the car park at Don Muang take the piss.

For simply helping you lift your luggage out of your boot on to the trolley, uninvitedly I might add, will moan at anything less than a hundred. So now they get a sincere "Kop khun maak khrap" if they do insist on lugging my bags a distance of 3 feet.

Most service staff rely on tips to survive. The often pitiful wages from their establishments are hardly enough to live on which is why so many protested over the early closing crap. The government seemed to think that these employees would be grateful for working less hours. Brain-dead muppets!

At the same time I don't like to feel that I'm expected to tip every time. Like I said, I will tip for a decent service and I agree one should not over tip.

What do you Tip ? Do you Tip ? When do you Tip ?

In former times people were used to give the tip before receiving any service, but later people thought it would make more sense to wait until the service was performed – so as the tip could be adjusted to the level of satisfaction that one felt was received.

As someone who has worked in the service industry for many years in the past. I can tell you before ww2 and a little afterwards in the uk.It was common in upmarket restaurants and hotels/ships.For a banknote to be torn in half. :D One half given to staff at the beggining of the meal or stay.And if everything came up to expected standards the remaining half was passed on to the member of staff at the end of stay.This did prompt good service as one half of a note was no good.If the customer was wealthy enough he didn`t care if he was left with half a note if service was not upto standard. :D Don`t think this would have worked in though as it is illegal to deface thai bank notes,kings head etc. :o:D:D

Tip 100baht or more in restaurants. Means little to me and makes the wait staff very happy! :o

Good on you mate, considering 100 baht is my daily allowance for my meals and 2/3 rds. a Thai persons daily wage you are doing wonders for making farangs look like walking ATM's.

My thai wife seldom tips, but when she does, she does not do so by percentage, but by quantity of money. For instance our breakfast comes to 72-85 baht for the pair, she leaves a hundred baht note - thus 15-30% tip.

For a meal of 600 baht (say) she kicks up if I leave more than 50 baht. <10%.

But we use the same places very frequently and always get good service. The smile and chat with the service staff count almost as much as the money. And when thinngs do go wrong in the kitchen, or with the cashier, the waitress / waiter still gets a tip in her / his hand. Maybe not so much ....

With those levels of tip you do not sound like a Brit.

Thought only Americans tipped 15-20%??

Here the change on the plate is sufficient, and even then you take out the big stuff.

As another wroter said, tipping is not the norm in Thailand.

My thai wife seldom tips, but when she does, she does not do so by percentage, but by quantity of money. For instance our breakfast comes to 72-85 baht for the pair, she leaves a hundred baht note - thus 15-30% tip.

For a meal of 600 baht (say) she kicks up if I leave more than 50 baht. <10%.

Excellent point!!! Yes: Tipping in Thailand is NOT by percentage. I've never done percentages anyway, I think it makes no sense. (Does a waitress deserve more just because you went for the imported beef + a bottle of great wine, as opposed to some spaghetti + beer???? Right.

If anything then the tip may depend a little on the class of place, like if it's particulary posh the tip may be a tad higher than just loose change. Also in restaurants where there's this beer-slave mothering over you and refilling your glass 3 seconds after every sip you took then tipping this person with money in hand/pocket is better. (OR just tell them to go force-feed someone else and refill your own beer thankyouverymuch. ;-)

Cheers,

Canchao

Generally Thais do not expect any tip. This is still Thailand and not USA, where restaurant staff will follow you even up to the street and complaining to you, that the paid tip on the invoice was not enough......

We here in Japan do not have any tip at all. Nowhere! - taxidrivers will give you the exact change and a receipt, same in restaurants, barbar shops, or gasoline stand or whereever - often there is a big donation-box near the cashier, for the poor or for orphans, where many customers will leave some of the change. It will be donated to red-cross or such institutions....Nothing will be given to the staff.

In Thailand, when travelling around, I always have a bundle with 20 baht bills ready. Usually for any small nice attention, like carrying suitcase, bringing my car to the parking or delivery to my room..... baht 20,-

Restaurants - all the coins and add 20 baht per person...

I prefer to give small tips, and frequently, so staff remembers me very well.

I found it works in the way, I like it.

By the way:

I gave several times tips to the hotel staff (we visited that place many times in Bangkok), when they did so much kind services to my old father (almost blind, 97 years old now) and he was very happy, everybody in the resort hotel was considering him so much......

However the hotel-manager came to me together with her staff and asked me to stop tipping for such services, as to guide a blind person in the garden (gardener had anyway not much to do), or to be patient in case of a dirty restroom (room-maid), or to bring breakfast in the room for the elderly (self-service - but the waiter did it) is no reason to expect any tip.

She told me, this is the policy of the hotel and the duty of all staff to be especially respectful to the helpless and old people. And it has nothing to do with tips or with the salary of the employees. Finally we agreed that I made a one-time tip for all staff of baht 2000,- (20 baht x 100) for the whole period. (my father usually is there for 3 weeks and we cannot be always with him) - This way was accepted by all and working out nicely for over 10 years up to now...

My experience:

If there is a special service for a longer period required, like nurses or assistance for a very old person like in our case (wheel-chair), we found it is the best to call them together and to offer them a tip once in a while, (10 days or so), baht 1000,- for all. They will share among themselves later, and they feel better to receive a tip for the whole group, it gives them the feeling to be equal to each other for their way of service.

Johann

"hardworking" staff, a rarety in my view.

I would love to reward good service, if I ever got any. It is easy to give up tipping in Thailand, as the service I have received rarely justifies it. I have tipped the boys who bring my water bottles into the house and place them in the proper storage cabinets. Likewise hardwork people who have gone to great lengths to install or assemble ordered merchandise, but lazy staff waiters, never.

I live "up-country" and that may be a factor.

Only tip the change - my wife picks out the 10 baht coins if she thinks its too much. She will never let me leave notes. She will only let me leave tips if the service was good. She's middle class Thai, and has some kind of automatic calculation process as to who get what and if. Basically I leave it to her now-a-days.

I thnik waiting staff at restaurants and bars will quite often seek out the farang group anyway - I don't think this is necessarily anything to do with tip - I think it more that we tend to be more polite to them. I always say thanks when they serve me something, and smile and/or chat with them briefly (may be not in Pizza Hut where I have yet to meet an employable staff member). Often the Thais, especially in the more upmarket restaurants etc, ignore them and are often rude, impatient and give an impression of looking-down on them.

I think I would head for the Farang party too!

One place where I never tip is in the toilet. Those faggy guys who hang around in the restrooms of the "classy" joints fill me with loathing. I can feel my bladder tightening up whenever I see that the piss room is occupied by a guy who thinks I am in need of his service. It's all I can do, when he approaches me to put his hands on me in the form of a back massage, not to turn around suddenly and piss all over him. More often though his unwelcome presence makes it tougher to pee than it should be. Then they often block the way out of the toilet because I refused their attentions and put nothing on the 20 baht note that is glued to their tray. Talk about useless....

Yeah agreed Thailien8 - very unsetteling for a westerner. If I see them I always head for the stalls and forget about washing my hands. A couple of times I've given them a small tip on entering and simply told them I did not want it. Easier to say 'I don't want' again on entering the loo and they seem to actually take notice (they don't if you don't tip them at least once though).

Yohan - excellent advice.

I just spent ten days in Tokyo on business and no-one expects a tip. Whether this is because their wage/salary is not bad or because they are doing their job - it is quite pleasant not to feel like you have to.

Thailand is, of course, a different story. 20 baht will go a long way for many people.

One place where I never tip is in the toilet. Those faggy guys who hang around in the restrooms of the "classy" joints fill me with loathing. I can feel my bladder tightening up whenever I see that the piss room is occupied by a guy who thinks I am in need of his service. It's all I can do, when he approaches me to put his hands on me in the form of a back massage, not to turn around suddenly and piss all over him. More often though his unwelcome presence makes it tougher to pee than it should be. Then they often block the way out of the toilet because I refused their attentions and put nothing on the 20 baht note that is glued to their tray. Talk about useless....

That's so funny, same here. Wouldn't have been Xcite in Pattaya would it? Nothing worse than some guy rubbing your shoulders whilst trying to have the already nervous piss hey. No wonder the cubicles are always full. :o

But in many Malaysian public toilets it is compulsory - or nearly so. If you need toilet paper, if you need soap, you pay.

And not always a feller - often a fifty-year-old crone.

So you must wait 'til you are absolutely desperate!

One place where I never tip is in the toilet. Those faggy guys who hang around in the restrooms of the "classy" joints fill me with loathing.

Exactly my opinion. I'd rather pee outside with the dogs than with those washroom attendants. Waste of perfectly good water & carbon those characters. I feel almost as strongly about parking lot attendants, who seem to think mothering over my car and making its windscreen wipers stand erect for no good reason is worthy of a 10 baht tip. NEVER!!!

NEVER!!!

(repeat after me!)

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

come on, you can do it!! :o

oh.

Cheers,

Chanchao