A Few Notes On Leaving Thailand

Mobi

Just a few ad hoc observations on leaving Thailand for the first time in nearly 2 years. I went to Singapore to embark on a 7 day cruise in the Malacca Straights.

The new airport check in went pretty smoothly, and the departure lounge was surprisingly pleasant. No real complaints there, except, as many have reported, very few food outlets – and certainly no cheap ones for budget travelers.

Singapore airport (which I have used many times before) is still vastly superior to Bangkok, even though it is now 25 years old. Just the carpeted floors give one a sense of comfort and opulence that is totally lacking and Bangkok’s stark, modernistic colossus.

The arrival area is so calm and civilized compared to the manic “third world” atmosphere in Bangkok. No taxi hustlers, and masses of well positioned signs, toilets etc.

Being a former heavy drinker, I haven’t been too bothered by all the anti- alcohol rules and restrictive drinking hours in Thailand, as I was forced to on many occasions to drink water rather than a beer with my meals. However, I can’t tell you how pleasant it was to go anywhere in Singapore, and Malaysia and see bars open 24/7 and be able to have a beer anywhere, any time. It was almost as though I had been set free. It was the same feeling I used to have when visiting Thailand may years ago when the pubs in the UK used to shut down at 2 p.m. But now we’ve gone the full circle. Langkawi Island in Malaysia, is virtually 100 % Muslim, yet we found a lovely little bistro in the shopping mall which served us beer in the middle of the afternoon with no problems or fuss. Something no longer possible in Thailand.

The tour guides in Malaysia all spoke perfect English. I was told that some years ago the schools taught all subjects in Malay, except English laguage, and they found they had a generation of businessmen whose English was getting quite poor. So they changed the system, and now about half the subject are taught in English (Maths, science subjects etc) and half in Malay, with the result that all the kids are now bi-lingual;, and the business men can compete better in the international markets.

Our ship moored at Krabi. We took a very expensive tu tuk to a beach, and the end section was cordoned off with a sign saying 20 Baht for Thais (in Thai) and 200 Baht in English to enter. We had some Thai food - asked for a beer but was told it was Muslim area and no alcohol permitted.

Then we stopped at Phuket. The Thai tour guide spoke very bad English – most passengers couldn’t understand a word he said. He advised us that if we wanted to take a taxi the next day, we could get a much cheaper one by walking out of the Port area. I did this the next morning, and had the taxi come inside to pick up more passengers. The taxi touts by the ship, shouted at me and abused me for not using their expensive services.

Finally back to Bangkok. I have a retirement visa extension, and a multiple re-entry visa. I was kept at the immigration desk for about 10 minutes while the officer poured over my passport. He finally asked to se my boarding pass. In 30 years of coming to Thailand, I have never had this request before. Luckily I had it, and he finally stamped me in. It was almost as though he was desperate to find an excuse to make trouble.

As already mentioned, the arrivals hall is totally third world – much worse than Don Muang. It’s a bloody mess, and if you’re not careful you will walk a long way to your outside transport, in the steaming heat. The touts are more numerous than ever and really drive you mad. The less said the better.

All in all, I really believe Thailand is slowly loosing its hard earned reputation as a great tourist destination, and if it doesn’t arrest the slide, I think within 5 years tourist revenues will start to go backwards.

Certainly Malaysia understands the rules of the tourist game much better , IMHO

Be wary of the "speaks perfect English". Yes the Malaysians generally speak bluddy good English better, in fact, than some of the Brits these days and a lot better than my Bahasa. However they very often don't understand bluddy good the English which can lead to some hilarious exchanges in restaurants and bars.

"Can I have two double gin and tonics?"

"You want two gin and tonics?"

"Doubles".

"A double gin and tonic?"

"No, two............... double................ gin and tonics".

"Two gin and tonics?"

"DOUBLES!"

"Four gin and tonics?"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Well you get the picture, previous form in Thailand helps immensely.

But yes, the point being made is that Thailand could very well find itself slipping down the rankings of tourist venues. Comes to something when I can get a beer virtually any time I want in KL but not in Bangkok. OK not every tourist wants a beer in the early hours of the morning but you try getting in Beach Club or Rum Jungle after 11pm, and there's a 35 Ringgit, 350 Baht, 5 GBP cover charge, so there's plenty of demand.

The taxi touts by the ship, shouted at me and abused me for not using their expensive services.

Sorry but i had to chuckle thinking about what they did to 'abuse you' :D Sounds unpleasant.

Yes, I see what you mean.

Hurling words of abuse - is what I meant. :o

the arrivals hall is totally third world – much worse than Don Muang. It’s a bloody mess.

:D still to experience suvarnabhumi. I had a mental image of it being more relaxed. better brace myself. :o

Maybe I should clarify.

I actually meant the "greeting area" where you emerge after going through customs. Total bloody mess, with stupid temporary walkways set up instead of something 21st century. You can turn either left or right, so people meeting you have to cover both ends - which is virtually impossible due to the mass of people. You really need two welcomers, with mobile pohones to cover all eventualities. :D

BTW I forgot to mention. We arrived on Thai Airways, and parked up at the Sky bridge. Then we had to disembark onto the ground and take a bus to the terminal. God knows why - no explaination. But in a curious way, it was a good thing because the bus deposited us right outside immigration - if we'd taken the sky bridge, we would had to walk for miles.

Then customs - I've never seen such aggressive unfriendly customs since I was in Nigeria back in the 6O's. Most of the arrival bags were put through an x-ray machine; they were stopping and searching large numbers of people and were rummaging through lines of open suit cases. Be warned - don't bring anything illlegal in - particularly an excess of duty free. They' are out to get you and screw you big time.

Clearly immigration and customs no longer give a shit about Thailand's image or the tourist industry and are out to shit on you any way they can.

Welcome to amazing Thailand - Land of Smiles. :D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

served us beer in the middle of the afternoon with no problems or fuss. Something no longer possible in Thailand.

:D

Never had a problem getting a pint in a restaurant in the middle of the afternoon in thailand..... me confused. :D

Yeah, if you look around - especially in Pattaya, you'll find somewhere, OK.

Bangkok's a bit harder.

But just try somewhere like MK at Carrefour, and they will certainly refuse to serve you between 2 and 5 p.m. As with everything, it's a hotch potch of compliance and/or "pay the price" to stay in business.

Bloody crazy though when you're never sure whether you can get your beer or not.... :o

served us beer in the middle of the afternoon with no problems or fuss. Something no longer possible in Thailand.

:D

Never had a problem getting a pint in a restaurant in the middle of the afternoon in thailand..... me confused. :o

Me neither. I've never personally experienced a bar or restaurant in Thailand not serving beer between 2 and 5 (though shopping centres don't sell at those times). Found plenty of restaurants that didn't serve beer in Malaysia though.

I just picked someone up at the new airport last week. Not sure what the complaining about the arrival hall is all about. There was a big board with all the flights listed that told you which exit (A B or C) to meet them at. There was indeed a big crowd, but not much different the Don Muang arrival area.

Haven't been picked up myself yet, but this could be eaiser then Don Muang. I will just tell driver to wait in parking area and when I come out, call him and say which arrival hall entrance (they are numbered 1 to 10) to meet me at.

TH

I just picked someone up at the new airport last week. Not sure what the complaining about the arrival hall is all about. There was a big board with all the flights listed that told you which exit (A B or C) to meet them at. There was indeed a big crowd, but not much different the Don Muang arrival area.

Haven't been picked up myself yet, but this could be eaiser then Don Muang. I will just tell driver to wait in parking area and when I come out, call him and say which arrival hall entrance (they are numbered 1 to 10) to meet me at.

TH

I have been told - though it might be malicious gossip, the the boards don't always get the exit gates correct. And if they do get it wrong - it's a very, very long walk from A to B to C.

But the point I was making is that at each exit gate, as arriving passengers emerge into the public area, they have a choice of turning left or right along the cordoned off walkways - and if you are alone in meeting someone, its almost impossible to cover both ends.

IMO much more chaoctic the Don Muang. When I met arriving guests a coule of weeks ago, I had great difficulty in even passing the public area at gate B to get to gate C. It was so congested with arriving passengers, bags, 'greeters' and God knows what else.

Totally manic for a 21st century brand new international airport, that seeks to be the hub of Asia.

So, your idea of a holiday away from Thailand is to go to a neighboring country, get on a ship and cruise to Thailand! :D:o:D

BTW, I have done that, or a similar cruise, on the "Gemini". Nice way to spend a week. :D

We (wifey and I) were accompanying two elderly friends who were visiting from the UK. Yes it was the Gemini, and was thoroughly enjoyable - excellent food and wonderful English speaking service from the 95% Phillipine crew. (there were just 2 Thais on board - a katouy waiter and a young lady in the entertainment team. Thais would be very good at this but their English is so bad).

The Malaysia stops were very interesting, and we had never been to Krabi before.

We saw the Fantasea show in Phuket which was absloutely outstanding. The best of its kind I have ever seen, and would match any elaborate West end or Broadway production. Professional, dazzling and totally awesome.

I have been told - though it might be malicious gossip, the the boards don't always get the exit gates correct. And if they do get it wrong - it's a very, very long walk from A to B to C.

A is only for domestic flights, while B and C are for international. The only possible confusion should be between B and C which is a bit of a walk, but certainly not as much as from A to C. IMHO the situation would improve drastically if they simply ejected all the touts. The actual arrival space doesn't seem to be much different than Don Muang, but the number of touts seems to have gone way up.

We (wifey and I) were accompanying two elderly friends who were visiting from the UK. Yes it was the Gemini, and was thoroughly enjoyable.

Mobi, what was the cost of the cruise for 2 people, I looked at the website and found no rates.

cheers.

Now there's a story in itself.

The reason they don't quote prices is because they only take bookings through local travel agents. If you contact them, they will send you a list of their agents in Thailand. There are several in Bkk, and I booked through an agent in Pattaya. The agent gave me a price list which showed "published Fares" and "Local Fares" The local fares were approx 60% of the 'published' fares and the agent told me I could buy at the local rate. When I booked, they said that Star cruises in Singapore had advised them that they would only accept me at the local rate if I had a work permit. Naturally I was outraged, and told them that I lived in Thailand, had a company and house here, and should qualify. They went back to Star Cruises, and they eventually agreed to apply the lower rates, if I could provide the agent with a copy of my company papers - which I did.

I got the cheapest births on board which was in an inside stateroom (no windows) for 78,200 baht for two people, plus fuel surcharge of 6.050 per pereson, giving a total cost of 90,580 Baht. The published price would have cost me 141,500 Baht. The prices go right up for better cabins, but our cabin was absoliutely fine - much better than I had expected - TV, coffee m/c, hair dryer, and a decent amount of room, and good shower. All food is provided free and was superb - choice of two restaurants, plus frequent BBQ's on deck. No tips and you just pay for drinks.

Believe it or not we won another 7 day cruise in a better cabin, and the MC said it was worth

5,000 US Dollars, valid for 6 months.

A is only for domestic flights, while B and C are for international. The only possible confusion should be between B and C which is a bit of a walk, but certainly not as much as from A to C. IMHO the situation would improve drastically if they simply ejected all the touts. The actual arrival space doesn't seem to be much different than Don Muang, but the number of touts seems to have gone way up.

Agreed :o

Great OP, Mobi! I am also becoming a Malay convert. I feel the infrastructure [not without its own problems] is far better geared to tourism these days. Of course, if you only want to drink yourself blind and screw, Malaysia is not the place if you do not wish to pay top Dollar, but as a destination to take the wife, enjoy great food,have more than a few beers, talk to friendly people all the while being governed by rule of law and policed by men and women who seem truely professional, Malaysia is becoming very hard to beat.

Malaysia is of course not Heaven on Earth, but they are doing their damndest to make it that way, especially as regarding their attitude to foreign GUESTS, along with the money they bring in. Even the [Tha] missus sighs after the train departs Padang Besar. Does that not say something?

I also had a few weeks holiday in Malaysia last October. Destination was The Perhentia Islands, which was a nice experience. We crossed the border from Sungaikolog. On the Malay side there was one car and two guys waiting, they wanted to know where are we going. In Thailand, Cambodia I have learned to ignore the first touts completely. This was something different, they produced print outs of available destinations and accommodation on very fair prices. So we went of to KotaBaru way for 30. Taxi driver was not great in english but liked to chat. He pointed out that we should get right to the pier for the boat to islands for 60 and would get us to the hotel. Everything worked out smoothly for a fair price and he took us there at a crazy speed.

Returning Thailand at Sungai Kolog they produced a customer feedback form at malay stamp out. I filled it and asked the officers where can I return it. They woldn't understand, that was the only minus for the service, no english comprehension at all almost. So they pointed me forward and I had to ask again. I found one guy who could speak english and the feedback box was on the Malaysian side so had to go back to leave it there which didn't seem to be a problem for anyone even I was already stamped out from Malaysia. This feedback form was about the immigration service quality so kinda dilemma...

Local flight back to Bangkok to the new airport was nice experience not much to complaint about. Elevators were very crowded though (a problem as my friend was at a wheelchair at the time) and not many smoking rooms nor signs. Even the taxi was an easy catch right to Bumrungrad.

TH

But the point I was making is that at each exit gate, as arriving passengers emerge into the public area, they have a choice of turning left or right along the cordoned off walkways - and if you are alone in meeting someone, its almost impossible to cover both ends.

IMO much more chaoctic the Don Muang. When I met arriving guests a coule of weeks ago, I had great difficulty in even passing the public area at gate B to get to gate C. It was so congested with arriving passengers, bags, 'greeters' and God knows what else.

Totally manic for a 21st century brand new international airport, that seeks to be the hub of Asia.

Don Muang also had 2 exits (terminal 1 and 2) and at both exists you could go right or left.

Once out there was no way to got he pther side unless via the outside in the heat.

New BKK is surely better than that.

I am more furious about the lack of toilets a disgrace !

very few food outlets – and certainly no cheap ones for budget travelers.

On the ground floor i think it is. There is a food court. Its ######ing cheap. But if no one told you it was there you may never find it. But its there. Food was pretty good also. They sell beer by the can. Not much more expensive than 7-11. You just gotta look.

very few food outlets – and certainly no cheap ones for budget travelers.

On the ground floor i think it is. There is a food court. Its ######ing cheap. But if no one told you it was there you may never find it. But its there. Food was pretty good also. They sell beer by the can. Not much more expensive than 7-11. You just gotta look.

Thanks for that info, it may come in useful.

I was actually referring to the departure lounge. At Don Muang they had some snack outlets, and even a KFC and Burger King (I think?). Couldn't see anything like that at the new place.

They do have that <deleted> food. You just have to look. I dont eat MC'ds or KFC so i have no idea of cost etc.

Nor do I, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be availble for those want it. Didn't see anything like that after I passed through immigration - if it's there it's certainly not well sign posted.

And why should elderly, infirm or just travel weary travellers have to treck that huge monstrosity of a place, searching out food outlets, that should be properly sign-posted in the first place, like in any other modern international airport?

And why should elderly, infirm or just travel weary travellers have to treck that huge monstrosity of a place, searching out food outlets, that should be properly sign-posted in the first place, like in any other modern international airport?

TiT! BTW the food court i mentioned is before you clear customs.

Great OP, Mobi! I am also becoming a Malay convert. I feel the infrastructure [not without its own problems] is far better geared to tourism these days. Of course, if you only want to drink yourself blind and screw, Malaysia is not the place if you do not wish to pay top Dollar, but as a destination to take the wife, enjoy great food,have more than a few beers, talk to friendly people all the while being governed by rule of law and policed by men and women who seem truely professional, Malaysia is becoming very hard to beat.

Malaysia is of course not Heaven on Earth, but they are doing their damndest to make it that way, especially as regarding their attitude to foreign GUESTS, along with the money they bring in. Even the [Tha] missus sighs after the train departs Padang Besar. Does that not say something?

I bet this couple would have trouble agreeing with you... Have you ever seen the sharia police in action? First day in KL, police stopped us on street (just outside KLCC) and rudely demanded my wife's passport. You people promoting Malaysia are being extremely naive.

My wife sighed in relief that after living there for over a year and we left.

TH

Edited by thaihome

I bet this couple would have trouble agreeing with you... Have you ever seen the sharia police in action? First day in KL, police stopped us on street (just outside KLCC) and rudely demanded my wife's passport. You people promoting Malaysia are being extremely naive.

TH

Believe it or not, my intention was not to promote Malaysia - or any other country, for that matter. I wassimply observing the differences I noted on a brief trip abroad, all of which have negative connotations for Thailand and its tourist industry.

I am still very happy living at my little "mansion" outside Pattaya - and long may I continue to do so, Thai nationlism, and anti farang sentiment permitting :o

TH

<deleted>? Sharia police? You sure you didn't get on the wrong plane?

I have worked here in KL for best part of a year on this occasion and I have never been stopped or even questioned by the police. The times I pass by them at their posts I nearly always get a cheery grin and a "good day sir" and my apartment is about 100 metres from the US embassy so there is a higher than usual police presence. I believe that the police do get a bit heavy handed during their raids on nightclubs when they are after drugs but provided you have ID and are clean there is no problem.

You may have been approached by scammers as we were all warned to be wary if approached by people claiming to be, amongst other things, police. The advice by the staff at the accommodation is that Malaysian police do not demand to see ID from foreigners unless they strongly suspect that something illegal is going down.

I worked in Thailand for 12 years, paid taxes blah blah etc and what did I get for it? Nothing except the pleasure of being fleeced, officially and unofficially, at every occasion possible. Here in Malaysia I have an expatriate ID card which enables me to use the Malaysian channels at immigration and they don't need to stamp my passport. An insignificant benefit you may say but a gesture of goodwill absent in Thailand.

I have been working towards retirement to Thailand (once I've got the requisite funds) but with the way the country is going other options are looking more attractive. Next weekend I'm off to Philippines and February it will be Viet Nam. Thailand is still my preference but I am looking at the alternatives.