Swede Attacked In Drive-by Shooting

sriracha john

Swede Attacked In Drive-by Shooting

At least six bullets had struck the Swede’s car before he realized that he was being shot at.

PHUKET CITY: Police are investigating a drive-by shooting on Chao Fa East Rd on November 12 in which a foreigner was targeted.

A 43-year-old Swedish man, who asked for his name to be withheld to protect his security, was the apparent target.

He was driving his Toyota Fortuner along Chao Fa East Rd at 8:30 pm when another vehicle overtook him on his right, a passenger opening fire and spraying the car with bullets, several of which hit and shattered the rear window on the driver’s side.

Able to escape unharmed, the Swede called the police from a 7-Eleven store.

“I thought it was an accident at first,” the man said. “When I turned around I saw the back window was shattered, and I had a lot of glass around in my hair and all around the cockpit. And still I didn’t realize they were shooting because I didn’t hear the bang, I just heard the glass shatter. I thought maybe a second car – or a motorbike – had hit my car.”

It was only when the third shot came at him from the rear that he realized he was under attack. There were at least six bullet holes in his car by the time he was able to get away, he said.

The victim said that he has no idea who would want to attack him, especially since he has lived in Phuket a total of three to four months in between other travels.

“It was over very quickly, within a few seconds,” he said.

Unable to identify his assailants, the man now has police protection in case his attackers return. He also urged any eyewitnesses to speak to the police to help solve the crime.

Police officers said that they are investigating leads and hope to make an arrest soon.

- Phuket Gazette

p3-Swede-shot-at.jpg

The shot-at vehicle

========================================================

B50,000 reward for drive-by shooter

PHUKET CITY: Phuket City Police officers have announced a 50,000-baht reward for information relating to a drive-by shooting last Sunday night.

During the attack, on Chao Fa East Rd at 8:30 pm, gunmen in a black pickup pulled alongside a silver-colored sports utility vehicle and opened fire, hitting the car at least six times. The victim managed to drive away unharmed.

At least one eyewitness identified the attackers’ vehicle as a black pickup, police said.

The reward will go to anyone who can provide information that will lead to the arrest of the gunman. Police said the victim is putting up the reward, but the victim told the Gazette that he was unaware of any such arrangement. (huh?? :o )

Anyone with relevant information is urged to call Pol Lt Col Somkin Boonrat at Tel: 089-7248490.

Police said the identity of callers will remain confidential.

- Phuket Gazette

Can't help but wonder if he has the misfortune to resemble a certain Mr. Cazus.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93021

My thoughts exactly, after reading the piece the other day as everyone indicated, it wasn't going to stop there..However the other perp was on a motorbike not a pick, perhaps his rich uncle... :o

Lets hope it's not "southern violence" moving north.

??

more likely a farang that has stepped on someones toes and doesnt have the good sense to disappear back to wherever he came from

I truly hope so. If this "insugency" comes to Phuket, the s@#t will hit the fan. I doubt the offers of peace would continue.

Can't help but wonder if he has the misfortune to resemble a certain Mr. Cazus.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93021

My thoughts exactly, after reading the piece the other day as everyone indicated, it wasn't going to stop there..However the other perp was on a motorbike not a pick, perhaps his rich uncle... :o

got to be him (swede with a sword). 555. he should put the 50k baht to his own team. although this kind of thing (murder for hire) ALWAYS results in the capture and subsequent roll of the shooter on everyone. It's always the same story. 1) Drive by and semi botched job 2) reward money goes out. 3) perp's arrested and convicted. I can't think of one that has gone unsolved in Phuket since I've been here (five years)

This guy (opinion)

He hasn't learned how to be properly socialized here (and probably not Sweden) to not have this kind of thing happen at some point. Here- you don't mess with guys who can summon a hundred friends in ten minutes bc he and family have lived here for generations. Of course this isn't a black and white issue. Many foreigners contribute to Thailand's development, etc. and we can't take a pass on the common socio-path <deleted> (foreign or Thai) here and be expected to stay. Although this particular case doesn't seem to fit.

I grew up in and worked in two big cities (Detroit and San Francisco). It all comes down to street sense wherever you are. Be aware of the reality of your environment here (another topic) and be careful.

Are there any statistics about violence against foreigners (and foreign to Thai) in specific areas of Phuket (say, Patong v. Phuket Town)? I'm not talking about conjecture, but real stats. I've lived here for five years (Kata 1 and Phuket Town 4) and I think the Thai's are very jaded who live in the tourist areas (personally, I think rightly so) and less so toward long time foreign residential areas.