Swedish Bar Owner In Knife Fight

george

Swedish bar owner in knife fight

PATONG: -- Bar owner Nicolas Cazus, 40, from Sweden, slashed a Thai man with a knife in a fight over a collision with a motorcycle in the early hours of November 7.

Pol Lt Col Pisit Chunpet told the Gazette that police responded to a call from Cazus’s bar on Soi Sainamyen at 3:45 am.

He explained that Cazus had just parked his car in front of his bar when Nuttavuth Palee, 26, pulled up on his motorbike.

The two men began to argue over a collision between the two vehicles earlier that resulted in Cazus’s car being scratched. The men soon started fighting in the street, causing people in the bar to come out and separate them, Col Pisit said.

Cazus was led to the bar’s kitchen, but Nuttavuth, still angry, followed him to continue the conflict.

The fight flared up again and Cazus picked up a small knife and slashed Nuttavuth across the cheek and across one leg, he added Nuttaveth was treated for his injuries.

Both men were arrested and taken to Kathu Police Station.

-- The Phuket Gazette 2006-11-16

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its getting a fair bit of press this and Sweden is a main tourist provider for Phuket and Khao Lak.

I am finding that the more cars that appear on the roads, the less people are prepared to put up with the apalling standards of riding, espescially by motorcylists.

Road rage is certainly increasing and with the amount of guns on the island, sooner rather than later, some of these goons on motorbikes are going to be called to account. As a lot of car owners are now Thais the police cannot just keep blaming the falang and turning a blind eye.

A 10 year old uninsured motorcycle causes a lot of damage and grief to a proud new car owner, falang or Thai.

Apparently the Swede had been stewing over this for ages :D

The Thai believes in an eye for an eye and says when he finds him he's gonna slice and dice him :D

He's gonna bury the Swede....so he should be ready to pick in about 4 months :D

I'll get my coat :o

I really dont understand how someone is willing to fight with fists (not alone knives) and possibly go to prison over a scratch on his car that he wont be able to drive for a while anyway.

Dumb! Thats all tha can be said.. :D

He must have been having a bad day ... out of Snus and low on pickled herrings ... :o

Dont mess with bar owners. These guys are almost always bad farang. I have many many close thai friends, even though I am farang, and they always shake their head and say "bar owner mi-dee".

Scum is another word I've heard used.

Why do people assume the Swede is a goner. There is a chance that the Thai might end up that way.

For good or bad, picking up a fight in front of one owned establishment with Thai is like asking for more troubles to come. Don’t forget they Thai can always pick you up anytime from behind. As for the Bar's owner he has to watch his heart pumping day and night.

as i read it, the "collision" occurred earlier, meaning away from the bar. so, it sounds as though the Thai man followed the Swede to the bar. a fight ensued, the two were separated, but the Thai continued to escalate the violent situation. sounds the Swede was defending himself.

sounds the Swede was defending himself.

dont tell us , go tell the injured thai , his brothers , his uncles , his cousins and all his mates.

that is what "law enforcement" is for. if that is not available, then i guess the swede will either have to leave, or strike first. pretty hard to defend Thailand in these types of situations. interested to know whether anyone thinks the swede or any other farang could be protected from revenge or loss of face violence from the Thais?

only by hiring his own personal bodyguard , or better still a mini army.

i cant imagine the police would offer any round the clock protection.

if the police thought he was in danger they might advise him to pack his bags. depends if he has any sort of relationship with the local police or any friends in high places.

hope he remembers to double lock his doors tonight.

dont tell us , go tell the injured thai , his brothers , his uncles , his cousins and all his mates.

that is what "law enforcement" is for. if that is not available, then i guess the swede will either have to leave, or strike first. pretty hard to defend Thailand in these types of situations. interested to know whether anyone thinks the swede or any other farang could be protected from revenge or loss of face violence from the Thais?

That would certainly be interesting, I suspect ( as taxexile says) , whether he is connected to important peoples or has friends in the police, Im guessing tho the odds are stacked against him on whether he could maintain adequate protection, he would have to grow eyes in the back of his head methinks

well, i would think the "law" could confront the "about to become" criminals, that they will be under the gun, so to speak. i'm sure the police have a idea as to what is going to happen, just as most of us do. then again, it just might be them that take care of the business. i'm starting to think fourth world now to properly represent this country.

well, i would think the "law" could confront the "about to become" criminals, that they will be under the gun, so to speak. i'm sure the police have a idea as to what is going to happen, just as most of us do. then again, it just might be them that take care of the business. i'm starting to think fourth world now to properly represent this country.

I agree with you in that the police will anticipate repercussions, but after reading plenty of threads on TV, IMO the BIB only act after the event, and rarely not before, unless well connected.

so, it sounds as if Thailand really is the "wild west", but "cowboy farangs" are not allowed to be armed. turkey shoot as they used to say. seems too surreal to be true, but it is.

There is a simple saying " When in Rome ...etc" This is Thailand. Thais are tough, so respect that and bury the attitude if you want to survive, unless you've got a small group of ex marines in your back pocket. A scratch on a car takes a few hundred baht to fix. A knife in the back comes a bit more expensive.

Just my 2 bahts worth. :o

Edited by ratcatcher

so, it sounds as if Thailand really is the "wild west", but "cowboy farangs" are not allowed to be armed. turkey shoot as they used to say. seems too surreal to be true, but it is.

There is a simple saying " When in Rome ...etc" This is Thailand. Thais are tough, so respect that and bury the attitude if you want to survive, unless you've got a small group of ex marines in your back pocket. A scratch on a car takes a few hundred baht to fix. A knife in the back comes a bit more expensive.

Just my 2 bahts worth. :o

I wouldn't say the state of affairs is that dire. If anything, your odds of a simple disagreement escalating to a knife or gun fight is only moderately higher than 'normal.' The idiot (whether it's you or the other guy) cutting you off in traffic, in KFC, or on the BTS, can probably do so a hundred or five hundred times before he/she comes across someone with that violent nothing to lose + chip on his/her shoulder combination.

:D

'Cazus was led to the bar’s kitchen, but Nuttavuth, still angry, followed him to continue the conflict. ... The fight flared up again and Cazus picked up a small knife and slashed Nuttavuth across the cheek'

-----------------------------

I expect the swede would agree with all the monday morning quaterbacking here on TV regarding what he should have done. Unfortunatly when trouble follows you into your place YOU DON'T THINK, you react.

If you read the article (can you read english would be my first question), the motorcycle driver followed the car driver after a road accident. Then it was a fight, the 2 persons were separated, one going to his own place the other quickly following him to restart the argument/fight.

I think, obviously, the guilty for any result is the motorcycle driver, who looked for problem (maybe for more problem that he can handle if I believe the final result : he got injuried).

Obviously to, if while I'm driving a motorcycle I hit your car, you will not be happy, but if I follow you, and call you by names (such as fool, moron, or e-dok ....) how hapy will you be, and if you decide it's better to cal down and go back to your kitchen I decide to follow you and restart to insult you, how will you react?

Right now, because the ######er who drived a motorcycle was thai we have to agree he have all rights? The nationality does not matter, the acting matter. The guy by 3 times acted like a total moron, and finally get what he was looking for.