5,000 Tourists Stranded As Depression "Durian" Hits Thailand

george

BREAKING NEWS:

Depression 'Durian' hits Thai south; 5,000 tourists stranded

BANGKOK, Dec 6 (TNA) - The Meteorological Department has issued a warning of the depression "Durian," saying it was to make a landfall in the southern provinces of Surat Thani and Nakhon Si Thammarat on Wednesday.

Following its passage across the Philippines and then Vietnam, Thailand's weather department said the depression, downgraded from its earlier status after losing much of its destructive capacity, still packs 50 kilometre per hour winds in the Gulf of Thailand, and is moving westward at a speed of 20 kilometres an hour.

The weather authjorities forecast that the storm would trigger heavy rain in Prachuap Khirikhan, Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, and Songkhla.

Local residents living in at-risk areas in these provinces should brace for heavy downpours Wednesday and Thursday (Dec. 6-7).

Strong winds and waves as high as two to four metres are expected in the Gulf of Thailand, with small boats advised to stay ashore. Meanwhile, the storm has caused heavy rain in the tourist islands of Koh Samui, Koh Pha-ngan, and Koh Tao, and prompted all boat services to halt their operations.

Only ferry services to and from Samui island still operating. About 5,000 tourists have been left stranded on Pha-ngan and Tao islands.

--TNA 2006-12-06

Four southern coastal provinces warned of heavy rains

Residents of Prachuap, Chum Phon, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Surat Thani are warned of heavy rains when Durian depression is expected to hit southern coast this afternoon.

The Meteorological Department announced Wednesday that the influence of the depression would cause heavy rains in the four southern provinces Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

The department said the depression with speed of 50 kilometres per hour at its epicentre was about 50 kilometres from the east side of Samui Island and was moving westward.

Somchai Ramasut, chief of civil disaster mitigation office in Surat Thani, said local officials had been put on standby on around-the-clock-basis for fear that the heavy rains would cause disaster or landslide.

-- The Nation 2006-12-06

After pummeling Vietnam, Durian skirted Cambodia to reach Thailand

Officials Monitoring Tropical Storm Durian

CAMBODIA: -- Tropical Storm Durian, which as a typhoon killed hundreds in the Philippines, moved into the Gulf of Thailand on Tuesday, prompting warnings of high winds and rough seas by Cambodian officials. "The fishermen do not go fishing, they were well-informed of the strong wind and waves," Kampot province Fisheries Office Director Tim Savuth said.

Strong winds and rain began around 1 pm in Kampot, he said. As a tropical storm, Durian continues to have sustained winds of between 63 and 118 km per hour. Sihanoukville Fisheries Office Director Duong Sam Ath said that although rain was lighter in the municipality on Tuesday afternoon, fishing boats did not venture out.

According to the Tropical Storm Risk weather center run by University College London, Durian is expected to cross the Gulf of Thailand today, making landfall again near Thailand's southern city of Surat Thani.

--Agencies 2006-12-06

Oh man,

This is bad, I am driving to Koh Samui this Friday and with this new weather update, I am not sure if I am still able to make it there....??

I would appreciate if anyone in Koh Samui to update the situation there....

THanks.

Cheers,

Loen

Let us all hope there isn,t to much strength left in it.

It,s overcast in Udonthani and it wouldn,t surprise me if a bit of rain started somewhere in the area.

It,s cold at night and we all love it in our house, we don,t even need the fans on.

The neighbours must like it also as it,s been very quiet recently during the early hours. :D

marshbags :o

P.S.

Spare a thought for the ones that have / are effected by it please.

Its the King Cup regatta this week here in Phuket and they have been suffering from lack of wind - looks like it could go to the opposite and have too much

One of the yachts competing here holds the record for the fastest sailboat in Thai waters - if it gets the right kinds of wind we might see some new records being set

more info on www.kingscup.com

If you are on Phuket go up to Kata View Point or to Promthem Cape and get a great view of the racing - take an umbrella - no racing tomorrow as it's rest day but lots more racing on Friday and Saturday

:o:D

We've had quite a bit of heavy rain today in Phuket!

Blue skies and sunshine up here :o

Blue skies and sunshine up here in Chiang Rai also :D

I don't know where you guys are in Chiang Mai but it rained in San Kampheang last night - now I know that is 16 km away but maybe you guys need to take a look outside once in a while.

Oh man,

This is bad, I am driving to Koh Samui this Friday and with this new weather update, I am not sure if I am still able to make it there....??

I would appreciate if anyone in Koh Samui to update the situation there....

THanks.

Cheers,

Loen

I am living in samui....its been nice up till today,wednesday, but its just been one of those miserable days with lots of rain, and grey skies...its forecast for 2 days, so you may be ok by friday, although the roads may stay waterlogged for a while longer

Well at least folks up in the north and northeast can feel the cools in the night, here in Bangkok the weather are hot like summer time.

I don't know where you guys are in Chiang Mai but it rained in San Kampheang last night - now I know that is 16 km away but maybe you guys need to take a look outside once in a while.

There was no rain in central Chiang Mai.

Veikloen,

You should maintain your trip to Samui. At 20/25 kmh Durian will have left the Country Friday...

Hope it is not going to start like last year.

Iwas in Phuket 6 weeks and almost rain every day, impossible to go out of the room.

If this is same-same, I am going to cancel my trip....