5,000 Tourists Stranded As Depression "Durian" Hits Thailand

george

I use a program called Earthbrowser, it's great for following these kinds of things, updates in real time almost.

this was 13.30 today

post-26095-1165395987_thumb.jpg

Nice day for the FMP!!

Hey ourmanflint!

Can you share with us the link for "Earthbrowser" ? Thanks!

dseawarrior

:o

YTFSE

http://www.google.com/search?q=earthbrowser

nice program by the way...

May I also recommend: Google Earth

Edited by jbhh

British tourists stranded as typhoon strikes Thai island

HUNDREDS of British tourists were among 5000 tourists stranded on a popular Thai holiday island today as Typhoon Durian swept out of Vietnam into the Gulf of Thailand.

All boat services to Koh Phangnan were cancelled along with a planned "Full Moon" party on the island, which lies 12 miles off Koh Samui.

Meanwhile, Vietnam's death toll from the typhoon rose to 59 people as authorities began cleaning up the country's southern coast, where more than 120,000 houses were destroyed.

The worst damage took place in Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province, where at least 34 people were killed, 17 went missing and more than 450 others were injured.

Across the region, most people were killed by collapsed houses, flying tin roofs or fallen trees.

The storm hit Vietnam early yesterday, but the rains had stopped by yesterday afternoon.

The Government evacuated thousands of people before the storm hit.

Some of those who lost their lives refused to follow the evacuation order.

In September, Typhoon Xangsane killed 69 people after slamming Vietnam's central coast.

Durian, named after a strong-smelling spiky Asian fruit, was one notch below a category 5 super-typhoon when it hit.

- news.scotsman.com

I use a program called Earthbrowser, it's great for following these kinds of things, updates in real time almost.

this was 13.30 today

post-26095-1165395987_thumb.jpg

Nice day for the FMP!!

Hey ourmanflint!

Can you share with us the link for "Earthbrowser" ? Thanks!

dseawarrior

:o

YTFSE

http://www.google.com/search?q=earthbrowser

nice program by the way...

May I also recommend: Google Earth

Cool Stuff!

Kawp kuhn mag na krab!

dseawarrior

:D

Just left Koh Samui yesterday afternoon on a ferry back to Surat Thani after a 4 days holiday. Weather was bright and shine until yesterday where there was a heavy downpour and strong waves on the east side of Samui especially Lamai Beach and perhaps Chaweng beach. On west side of island as of yesterday, the sea is still relatively calm though it was raining. The ferry ride was smooth.

Hope the typhoon will not cause damage to the beautiful islands & people in the Gulf of Thailand.

May Buddha bless :o

Rgds,

Tourist now in Salaya, BKK Coffeemaker Cafe after 10+ train ride from Surat Thani

Edited by WTloveSamui

Surat Thani governor cautions local mariners to remain alert for post-Depression Durian effects

The governor of Surat Thani province is cautioning local residents to be alert when operating marine vessels despite the subsiding of the Tropical Depression Durian.

Surat Thani Governor Niwat Sawaskaew (นิวัฒน์ สวัสดิ์แก้ว) reports that the effects of the Tropical Depression Durian which has swept through the province on December 6 did not pose a major impact on local residents, due to rainshowers in limited areas. The governor says small marine vessels are now suggested to resume operations. Weather conditions today are clear skies and little chance of rain. The governor cautioned mariners to remain alert, however, as heavy rains may occur during this period.

The governor added that Surat Thani has received little damage from the Depression Durian, with only 5 districts sustaining notable damage. Mr. Niwat assured local residents that roadways remain clear, and that authorities are prepared to handle any natural disasters.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 7 December 2006

Chumphon reveals damages caused by the Tropical Depression Durian

Chumphon Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office Chief, Phannee Angsakul (พรรณี อั้งสกุล), revealed detail of damages caused by the Tropical Depression Durian.

He said that Durian had passed the province yesterday, causing heavy rain throughout the province. The rainfall yesterday was measured at 100 millimeter and the highest rainfall was at Thasaewad (ท่าแซะวัด) District at 203 millimeter. As for Luansuan (หลังสวน) District and Lamae (ละแม) District, rainfall was measured at 100-150 millimeter. The rainfall has caused the water level to increase rapidly.

16 homes have been damaged by the Tropical Depression Durian; however, officials have been dispatched to provide assistance.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 7 December 2006

heaing to phuket, shoul I postpone my trip until after xmas or go now? I hate driving a motor bike in the rain & it is the only time I am real cold there...

You should stay home and use the money you save to buy a new keyboard for your computer - one on which the 'D' button works every time. Whatever you do, don't risk getting cold - you might think you were no longer in LOS.

Samui 13:06 hrs.

Bright and sunny. Sea is more calm then it was yesterday. Occasional cloud, warm and definitely not windy. Some cool breeze. As I had mentioned in earlier post, since it rained almost for the entire day, it has drained the strength of the depression. It's should be over before the end of the day.

Bright and sunny. Sea is more calm then it was yesterday. Occasional cloud, warm and definitely not windy. Some cool breeze. As I had mentioned in earlier post, since it rained almost for the entire day, it has drained the strength of the depression. It's should be over before the end of the day.

Anyone got onto the ferry today, how is the sea? I will be driving over around noon tomorrow?

Quick update: As I write this [17:55, 07/12] it is absolutely possing down in Chumphon and looks like it is going to stick around too....

Boats to the islands on and off and on again. Have a plan B at the ready is my advice.

Edited by baboon

Anyone got onto the ferry today, how is the sea? I will be driving over around noon tomorrow?

Took the ferry off the island bout 11am and all normal. Caught the last ferry back from donsak and it was a tad choppy, walking like a drunk on board

Took the ferry off the island bout 11am and all normal. Caught the last ferry back from donsak and it was a tad choppy, walking like a drunk on board

Thank very much for all the updates just got back from Samui yesterday and everything was good, except that Chaweng is dead quiet.... wonder is because of the typhoon or just a normal low season....

I was in Chaweng yesterday with a friend and yes it is dead quiet. I have lived in Samui for 4 years now and never saw Chaweng so dead quiet.

In my humbel opinion the following reasons comprise to overall low business in usually what is called as High Season:

1. 19 September coupe de tat
  2. Heavy Rain & Flooding Norther Thailand
  3. Unrest in South
  4. Dollar getting very weak against Baht & Baht getting stronger in general
  5. Very confusing message projected on media and also by respective governments from where the tourists originate

That's in my humble opinion. :o I could be wrong.

Cheers all and look forward to a better year in next year.