Purchasing A Second Hand Car From Different Region.

LivinLOS

Cars down here on Phuket are a fair bit higher in price than cars up in BKK, plus the selection is awful.

Looking on one2car I can see quite a few cars I may be interested in and have no problem hopping up to BKK to buy and driving home.

What worries me is the name change / ownership process when buying a car out of 'my' region and or moving it to a new region.

For vehicles here locally its been a relatively simple process, simply take passport and proof of address (slip from immigration for 200 baht, must be within 14 days) along with the old owner or copies of their passport. 2 forms and taking a record of the chassis / engine numbers. Whole process a couple of hours tops.

This year I got my Thai driving licenses for cars and bikes. Does this mean I still need a proof of address as my address is listed on my Thai DL ??

If I want to buy a car in BKK can I use a Phuket address and buy it ??

If not how does the process happen. I dont want to get the process screwed up and need to return and also dont feel good about paying 100% until the car docs are put into my name. Never moved a vehicle before so completely in the dark about this.

Is there any parts of the process to watch out for or where I can get caught needing to pay t money to get something happening. My experiences so far in Phuket office have been pleasant without any scamming (other than a photo wont do unless it comes from local photo both etc)..

Thanks.

Edited by LivinLOS

I bought my car (2nd hand) in BKK also due to better prices and more choices then Chiangmai and drove it back. I got the registration book with my name in it within a day or two. Did pay cash for it but had a Thai with me to check the paperwork and had a full receipt of payment. After getting it back to Chiangmai, transferred the registration from BKK to Chiangmai and received new plates. Not complicated but again had a Thai help me through the process.

OK so it was easy to buy a car in your name in BKK while your thai address (presume via WP / Immigration slip / etc) was BKK ??

Thats the kinda info I wanted to hear..

Did you have any fees (legit or otherwise) when getting new plates ??

OK so it was easy to buy a car in your name in BKK while your thai address (presume via WP / Immigration slip / etc) was BKK ??

Thats the kinda info I wanted to hear..

Did you have any fees (legit or otherwise) when getting new plates ??

Can reg. the car or bike in BKK and have letter conf. add. somewhere else.

Thanks for the confirm guys..

So they have no problem putting (eg) a phuket address in the book of a BKK registered car.. Normal purchase process.

I then brink car to phuket and get a new number plate / phuket registration on it.. Does this get a new book, or just plate ?? Are there any substantial costs at any stage ??

Thanks for the confirm guys..

So they have no problem putting (eg) a phuket address in the book of a BKK registered car.. Normal purchase process.

I then brink car to phuket and get a new number plate / phuket registration on it.. Does this get a new book, or just plate ?? Are there any substantial costs at any stage ??

Additional cost will be sales tax on the transaction either paid in BKK or Phuket. You don't need to transfer to Phuket if you don't want to, but it's easier when you go to sell the car.

OK.. I buy car into my name.. I own car.. I move car to phuket.. Then later at my discretion get phuket book and plates..

How do they know what was paid for it ??

Just curious..

In all likelyhood this will be 200 - 250ks worth of car.. How can I find out % taxation.

Sorry to be so anal but I dont like surprises where T money can be wanted.. At least like to know where the weak points are.

Ohh just reread.. When the transfer takes place.. Is that transfer or region or transfer of ownership ??

I assumed region as I have purchased and sold a few cars so far and never paid any taxes.

It's region. Transfer of ownership is done in the blue book (registration book) when you get the car, then when you go to transfer registration the book is updated and new plates issued. There is also the road tax which will be stamped in the back of the book. If has expired you will have to pay for that. I believe the sales tax was included in the price of the my car and handled by the dealer when I bought mine. The transfer of registration was not expensive as I recall but can't remember the exact amount.

OK I am getting more confused by the minute..

So its the region transfer that costs ?? Yet then you say sales tax was charged by the dealer (built into price) surely that was then your job when you returned home ??

Then I read "The transfer of registration was not expensive as I recall but can't remember the exact amount." do you again mean region and not the registration of ownership / blue book ??

Sorry I am not trying to pick at your help just getting more confused. I have bought and sold a few bikes and cars so far and never have I paid any registration of ownership transfer fee. So I am assuming it is purely a region movement that costs money.

Forgettng the two window sticker (tax and insurance). Thats easy to work out and tiny costs.

Was it a large amount due to move region ?? 100's, 1000's >5 or 10k ?? Is it based on value of vehicle ?? How would they know value of vehicle that was paid ??

I'll try again.

1. Transfer of ownership in the bluebook to my name plus sales tax - all included in the purchase price for me (package)

2. Transfer of region - bluebook updated to show Chiangmai now and new license plates issued - a couple of thousand baht is a guess, plus the vehicle inspection which is normally 150-200 baht.

3. Road taxes - paid every year and will be in the back of the book stamped in yearly with the charge. If still in date, no charges there, if out of date will have to pay back taxes and costs depends on the type of car, engine size, number of doors, passengers. Mine costs about 1500 baht/year at the moment. Most likely will be up to date, or if not have the dealer throw it into the deal.

4. If insurance is up to date on the car then it goes with the car and is valid for you.

I did not pay sales tax at the transportation department, it was covered in the purchase price and handled by the dealer. This was all made easy for me because I had a knowledgeable Thai with me to verify the process.

Thanks much clearer.

1) Never paid sales tax, maybe thats because it was always private sales and not dealer sales.

2) Transfer fee being a couple of grand is no problem.. Didnt want to get a 10% of what they assess or anything daft. Also dont recall ever paying any money for vehicle inspection when I did mine but again person to person, also maybe just dont remember 200 baht.

3) Rd taxes easy and same as I understood.

4) as above

Thanks all clear..

1) Never paid sales tax, maybe thats because it was always private sales and not dealer sales.

Probably right.

2) Transfer fee being a couple of grand is no problem.. Didnt want to get a 10% of what they assess or anything daft. Also dont recall ever paying any money for vehicle inspection when I did mine but again person to person, also maybe just dont remember 200 baht.

This was only necessary when transferring the region or if the car is older then 7 years old, otherwise not needed. It's called suphap lort.

Some information and if need further clarification I'm sure these people can help if you contact them > Expat motors

Thanks much clearer.

3) Rd taxes easy and same as I understood.

4) as above

Thanks all clear..

Just bought a second hand pick-up from private seller and she paid sales tax. Agreed to let her put a lower value at reg. office.