valves and guides.

overherebc

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tg , thank you for the kind offer. I think a few hours in your workshop would be great , although its been a few years since i milled and turned on a Bedford. And your  a few hours from Chaing Mai.  That heavy crank on the Triumph must require a leap from the upstairs window to fire it up.  Im assuming the trial Yams are well.  In the bike garage , whats that blue frame on the far left shelf - wheel truer ?.

16 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

tg , thank you for the kind offer. I think a few hours in your workshop would be great , although its been a few years since i milled and turned on a Bedford. And your  a few hours from Chaing Mai.  That heavy crank on the Triumph must require a leap from the upstairs window to fire it up.  Im assuming the trial Yams are well.  In the bike garage , whats that blue frame on the far left shelf - wheel truer ?.

# Yeah, it's a long ride/drive from CM.

# LOL - made worse by the Hunt mag having fixed ignition timing, ie no auto advance. I can do it, because i'm used to k/starting proper motorcycles. There is a "technique".  But namby pambies need not apply. It certainly aint easy-peasy same as a stock 650-750 twin....

# Great and very true anecdote I read many years ago by an aclaimed Velocette expert and collector who said "these bikes can smell fear".

# Thanx, trials Yams are fine, although Yeller's tank sprung a leak. that tank has been repaired, obviously did the paintwork in, and the spare steel tank is being sprayed by my painter as we speak.

# Yes, made in Vietnam, purchased in Thailand, the usual wheel truing stand found at most Mom'n'Pop corner m/c shops. 'bout 850 baht I seem to recall.

45 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I read many years ago by an aclaimed Velocette expert and collector who said "these bikes can smell fear".

Ralf Seymour? Although in fairness he may not have been a "collector"

Edited by VocalNeal

You need to kick-start these bikes with intent  and meaning , in boots. In England i still have 3 500 cc KTM 2-strokes , kick-start only , they wont bump , unlike a Honda XR 650 R i had. Wheel truer , my late mother - bless her - was once a wheel lacer / spoker for BSA in Birmingham. She loved old Brit bikes.

23 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Ralf Seymour? Although in fairness he may not have been a "collector"

Good man! Knows about Seymour. A Giant amongst his field. Also another very famous Velo man would have been Geoff Dodkin.

However, it was neither of those two I was referring to. Name escapes me...

Somebody local subscribes to The Classic Motorcycle magazine. One of the better publications, just been reading the last 3 issues. Quite unbelievable what is being made again and available. 5 & 6 speed g/box clusters. New crank cases. New Thruxton c/heads. New Alfin barrels. primary drive belt kits with uprated modern clutches. None of it cheap... And even... wait for it... electric start kits.... Seymore would be turning in his grave - "can't start it - can't ride it!".....