Let it flow: Patong wastewater to get worse before treatment plant upgrades kick in

rooster59

Let it flow: Patong wastewater to get worse before treatment plant upgrades kick in 

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1504339564_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Water quality at Patong Beach where tourists swim has plunged and is not likely to improve until the town’s wastewater treatment plant gets a major overhaul, which is planned to commence within three months.

Worse, however, is that while the improvements are underway, the capacity of the plant to treat wastewater before it flows into Patong Bay will be greatly diminished, The Phuket News was told this week.

The news follows the Phuket Marine Biological Centre’s water-quality report for July showing the northern and southern ends of Patong Bay as the only locations with long-standing poor water quality readings, with no readings taken regularly close to shore.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/let-it-flow-patong-wastewater-to-get-worse-before-treatment-plant-upgrades-kick-in-63725.php#g7Ltyhxk2XpTxETc.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-09-03

It's worth reading the entire story and viewing all the photos - ugly.

This caught my eye 

"In the meantime, random inspections of hotels will be carried out to ensure the wastewater they release does not exceed legal limits, Mayor Chalermluck assured.

Those found breaking environmental laws by discharging wastewater with illegal levels of contaminants will be fined four-fold the general wastewater tax, she added."

What are these 'legal limits' and 'illegal levels of contaminants'

I don't think any of Nanai area is connected to the wastewater works, don't know about the  'new' road or that huge development to the left of Patong from Karon before the mini circle.

Anyone know exactly which area is connected to the works and is it a dedicated pipe. I assume hotels like Holiday Inn And Merlin are connected. 

Edited by LivinginKata

So the treatment plant was built 30 years ago. In those 30 years I would guess  the income from tourism has been in the multi billions if not a trillion baht. And how much spent on upgrading the system -  0  baht!!. Typical of here take take take.

10 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

More turds to swim with, best go to Spain as water there is of the top quality and passes EC rules which most of local beaches do not.

"More turds to swim with.." the Russians and Chinese dont go to Spain?