Non Imm. "o" Vientiane

Hi to everyone,

Thought everything was doomed before my wife and i even left Chiang Mai for Vientiane.

No flights available to Vientiane or Udon Thani so only option was 8pm vip bus (613 baht each 1 way) Tuesday night arrive Udon Thani 730am, then to Nong Khai 45 mins ( 40 baht each ) but took 90 mins due to stopping for everyone going to work school etc.

Arrived Nong Khia and swamped by 20+ tuk-tuk drivers eventually got 1 for 80 baht to Friendship Bridge stopping at visa agent for wife to get border pass which took 30 mins or so (220 baht inc. photo) found out later you can do yourself at amphur in Nong Khia for 50 baht 1st lesson learned !

Caught bus across bridge ( 15 baht each).Got to border filled in forms (collect forms from window on the left and passport with visa from window on the right) for Lao paid 1500 baht for my visa (varies from country of origin I am from the UK) waited almost 1 hour to get back walked through to get bus to be swamped by even more tuk-tuk drivers.

Got taxi (200 baht) to Thai Embassy arrived there 10:45am. Got almost to the front of the queue 11:40am they decided they had had enough applications and would not have time to do anymore and closed early (now thinking it wasnt meant to be).

Pleaded for a little while but no joy!!

Filled in the forms while waiting in que (DO NOT USE AGENTS OUTSIDE THEY CHARGE 2000 BAHT TO DO FOR YOU AND THAI EMBASSY DID NOT LIKE USE OF AGENTS) presented passport and 1 copy, 2x passport photos, copy of marriage certificate, affirmation and translation ( i had done by star visa in Chiang Mai 3,000 baht thought was expensive) that was everything that the Thai Embassy requested from me ! Nothing about my income or bank balance! Which i thought was 1 of the pre qualifications for getting a non "o" ??? Was a little worried that they hadn't asked me for this.

Tired and stressed we walked another gauntlet of tuk-tuk drivers and eventually got a taxi down to the river (80 baht) to look for hotel/guest house but seemed everywhere was full finally decided to go a little more upmarket than we planned and ended up in the Lao Orchid very nice but 1200 baht per night. OUCH

Got to Thai Embassy next morning 7:30am (open 8am-noon) forms filled in and passed with docs requested and told to go pay 2,000 baht for my single entry non "o". seemed too easy no interview no questions no nothing told to go back 1pm following day to collect visa !

Got there 12:30 to find a queue of 30-40 people already waiting and burning in midday sun. Gates opened 1:15 quick scramble to hopefully collect my non imm. "o" sweating i took my passport from the desk and low and behold my 1st non imm."o"

Without the lousy journey and the Thai Embassy closing early Wednesday morning on me this would have been a stress free successful application without all the worries i have had over the last month or so and although i had made sure i had covered every eventuallity the Thai Embassy in Vientiane requested very little from me.

Good Luck to everyone i hope your journey is far easier than ours was and your application just as successfulas mine was.

Hi to everyone,

Thought everything was doomed before my wife and i even left Chiang Mai for Vientiane.

No flights available to Vientiane or Udon Thani so only option was 8pm vip bus (613 baht each 1 way) Tuesday night arrive Udon Thani 730am, then to Nong Khai 45 mins ( 40 baht each ) but took 90 mins due to stopping for everyone going to work school etc.

Arrived Nong Khia and swamped by 20+ tuk-tuk drivers eventually got 1 for 80 baht to Friendship Bridge stopping at visa agent for wife to get border pass which took 30 mins or so (220 baht inc. photo) found out later you can do yourself at amphur in Nong Khia for 50 baht 1st lesson learned !

Caught bus across bridge ( 15 baht each).Got to border filled in forms (collect forms from window on the left and passport with visa from window on the right) for Lao paid 1500 baht for my visa (varies from country of origin I am from the UK) waited almost 1 hour to get back walked through to get bus to be swamped by even more tuk-tuk drivers.

Got taxi (200 baht) to Thai Embassy arrived there 10:45am. Got almost to the front of the queue 11:40am they decided they had had enough applications and would not have time to do anymore and closed early (now thinking it wasnt meant to be).

Filled in the forms while waiting in que (DO NOT USE AGENTS OUTSIDE THEY CHARGE 2000 BAHT TO DO FOR YOU AND THAI EMBASSY DID NOT LIKE USE OF AGENTS) presented passport and 1 copy, 2x passport photos, copy of marriage certificate, affirmation and translation ( i had done by star visa in Chiang Mai 3,000 baht thought was expensive) that was everything that the Thai Embassy requested from me ! Nothing about my income or bank balance! Which i thought was 1 of the pre qualifications for getting a non "o" ??? Was a little worried that they hadn't asked me for this.

Tired and stressed we walked another gauntlet of tuk-tuk drivers and eventually got a taxi down to the river (80 baht) to look for hotel/guest house but seemed everywhere was full finally decided to go a little more upmarket than we planned and ended up in the Lao Orchid very nice but 1200 baht per night. OUCH

Got to Thai Embassy next morning 7:30am (open 8am-noon) forms filled in and passed with docs requested and told to go pay 2,000 baht for my single entry non "o". seemed too easy no interview no questions no nothing told to go back 1pm following day to collect visa !

Got there 12:30 to find a queue of 30-40 people already waiting and burning in midday sun. Gates opened 1:15 quick scram :o ble to hopefully collect my non imm. "o" sweating i took my passport from the desk and low and behold my 1st non imm."o"

Without the lousy journey and the Thai Embassy closing early Wednesday morning on me this would have been a stress free successful application without all the worries i have had over the last month or so and although i had made sure i had covered every eventuallity the Thai Embassy in Vientiane requested very little from me.

Good Luck to everyone i hope your journey is far easier than ours was and your application just as successfulas mine was.

Well done. Thanks for the up to date report. :D

Hi to everyone,

Got there 12:30 to find a queue of 30-40 people already waiting and burning in midday sun. Gates opened 1:15 quick scramble to hopefully collect my non imm. "o" sweating i took my passport from the desk and low and behold my 1st non imm."o"

Sorry forgot to put 1 copy of wifes id and tabienban

So laundry list is:

Birth Certificate

affirmation and translation (could you explain what that is?)

Copy of wife ID card

Copy of home register (tabienban)

Were all items asked for or did you present without request?

Thanks for posting details.

So laundry list is:

Birth Certificate

affirmation and translation (could you explain what that is?)

Copy of wife ID card

Copy of home register (tabienban)

Thanks for posting details.

So laundry list is:

1 Birth Certificate

1 Only to get affirmation.

2 Affirmation and translation (could you explain what that is?)

2 Affirmation and translation for freedom to marry from British Embassy only if previously married i believe. You will need original marriage and divorce certificate and personally typed letter (cant remember exactly what needed) but there are examples if you look at British Embassy website about freedom to marry. Very simple and straight forward. Once you have affirmation take to agent (I used star visa in Chiang Mai 10 mins from home) 3,000 baht OUCH to send to Bangkok for translation back within 48 hours.

3 Copy of wife ID card

4 Copy of home register (tabienban)

4 Wifes

5 Copy of marrige certificate and copy of letter (tabien somlot) given from amphur when married.

6 Copy of passport

7 2 passport photos

8 2,000 baht

I was presenting everything to him needed for 1 year extension including proof of income, photos of house and contents of wardrobes, map to our home etc. etc.etc. but he only wanted shopping list 3-8 which he selected from my folder.

Hope this helps

OK. That helps to explain it. Those items are not required for a visa. The visa only requires the marriage certificate (and sometimes copy of wife id and home register), the fee, the form and photos. The other items are immigration requirements for extensions of stay and you apply for that at an immigration office in Thailand later.

OK. That helps to explain it. Those items are not required for a visa. The visa only requires the marriage certificate (and sometimes copy of wife id and home register), the fee, the form and photos. The other items are immigration requirements for extensions of stay and you apply for that at an immigration office in Thailand later.

Exactly in a nut shell

Much less complicated than i think many people thought providing you fit all the requirements

OK, I am still a little confused.

I understand that with your shopping list (passport, marriage certificate etc) I can get a visa in Vientiane that will allow me to stay for 90 days.

It seems that before that 90 days expires you then get an extension in Bangkok and this requires much more paperwork and proof that you have income of 40 000 B a month.

But there also seems to be info out there that if you'd got that original visa in Australia or somewhere further away then perhaps it could be used for up to 1 year instead of 90 days. Hmmm, I don't understand that bit. What is going on there? And would you have to take your wife to Australia to get that?

A single entry non immigrant allows one entry for 90 days. Cost about 2,000 baht in local currency.

A multi entry non immigrant allows one year of 90 day stays. Cost about 5,000 baht in local currency.

Most Consulates close to Thailand have stopped issue of the multi entry type but some have recently obtained in KL and Singapore. Otherwise a trip to Oz would be the best best if that is what you want. The documents do not include the wife (unless you want). The marriage certificate itself might be all you need in home country but surly not more than that and copy of wife ID card. But be aware that smaller Consulates outside of direct Embassy staff manning are normally more friendly for multi entry type applications.

An extension of stay can be applied for at any full service immigration office.

OK. This is getting better.

Hmmm, I know I am asking a lot of questions but I do feel you guys are really helping me and I am almost understanding. So here are some more.

1. OK, so that multi entry one sounds really good. I can get it in Australia, Singapore, KL and I think I read somewhere that Manila is good also for it? (I ask that as I have never been to Phillipines yet and would like an excuse)

2. With it I can stay in Thailand for a year except that I have to cross the border each 90 days to re-new that 1 year visa. Is that the correct way of looking at it?

3. If it is possible to get that it seems the only benefit of the other more complex thing (the evil application that you have mentioned, that requires me to have proof of income of 40 000B) - is that it may be more secure regarding future changes to the Thai law. Is that right? Not saying I wont eventually get it, but perhaps that gives me a year to get that necessary proof.

4. So I don't need 400 000B in the bank or 40 000B each month?

Thanks

Paul

OK, I am still a little confused.

I understand that with your shopping list (passport, marriage certificate etc) I can get a visa in Vientiane that will allow me to stay for 90 days.

It seems that before that 90 days expires you then get an extension in Bangkok and this requires much more paperwork and proof that you have income of 40 000 B a month.

But there also seems to be info out there that if you'd got that original visa in Australia or somewhere further away then perhaps it could be used for up to 1 year instead of 90 days. Hmmm, I don't understand that bit. What is going on there? And would you have to take your wife to Australia to get that?

1 year Non imm. "o" from your own country. I can only comment on my dealings with Thai Embassy in the UK but you do not need to have wife with you or even a wife for that matter. As a British citizen i can get from The Thai Embassy a 1 year non imm. "o" with hardly any requirements just told to send request for multipul entry 1 year non imm."o" send passport and 90 pounds sterling to visit girlfriend/relatives here with. No questions asked.

Only 1 problem with that for me was that i didnt want all the time travelling and costs incured of doing, and being away from somewhere i am happy and with someone i love dearly.

So only option for me was to go outside the kingdom to get 90 day non imm. "o" (trip to Vientiane)and then get extension with all docs at immigration (Chiang Mai) 21-30 days before it expires.

Edited by princealbert

1. You can get in honorary type Consulates in Oz and maybe KL or Singapore. Zero chance in Manila as far as I know.

2. You can stay in Thailand 90 days but can re enter and stay another 90 days up to the one year validity of visa period. It is not renew but a new entry from a multi entry visa.

3. Plus allow application for permanent residence if that is in your future. Plus not having to head for the border every 90 days. Plus not having to wonder what Consulate will or will not issue another visa.

4. That is between you and the wife.

Thanks

I have generally been able to get a 60 day tourist visa from Canberra, but have generally been told that they only give out longer ones if you have some reason - like studying and can back it up with a letter of offer from the school / uni.

Anyway, as I am married and hopefully will have the money I thought I needed to get a married visa I thought I would get it, as that confirms my situation and saves me the monthly trip - which no longer is possible anyway.

Paul

OK. I think we are almost there.

1. I understand Singapore, Aust or KL it is.

2. Think I understand that I can stay for 90 days at a time and not reapply for a visa for a year. So it is just like the old border crossing, that I cross and come back and everyone is happy because I have a visa. Is that right? Or do the new rules saying no more than 90 days per 6 months apply?

3. Think I understand also, notwithstanding the query above. So wondering about which consulate will or will not give visa is only once per year?

4. I think you were being funny. Ha ha - don't play with me, I am stressed. I have been married for ages and never applied for this married visa because I thought I needed money in the bank.

Paul

Thanks

I have generally been able to get a 60 day tourist visa from Canberra, but have generally been told that they only give out longer ones if you have some reason - like studying and can back it up with a letter of offer from the school / uni.

Anyway, as I am married and hopefully will have the money I thought I needed to get a married visa I thought I would get it, as that confirms my situation and saves me the monthly trip - which no longer is possible anyway.

Paul

Hiya Visa Mods ( Gods for what you provide for us all. )

Apologies in advance if there is a specific thread re.... the following scenario.

My mate has just arrived with a 60 day visa and wonders if / how the 90 days max will effect him please ?

As Paul mentioned getting a 60 day one and this thread is about Ventiane i thought i may be o.k. and on topic.

( I,ve said he may have to leave the country if he wants to stay for longer than 90 days. )

e.g.

The 60 days he got in the U.K and then a possible 30 day ext. here at Udon / Nong Khai. ( i think ? )

Arrived on the 29-12-06, just before the chaos started by the way, lucky bugger.

Can he possibly get any more time on top of this and if so what,s the possible max amount.

Thanks on his behalf and also from myself of course for any information i can pass on to him.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Yes that was a joke and no this is not a marriage visa. It is a non immigrant visa issued for "O" (other) reasons. In your case to visit your wife.

The 90 day rule does not apply.

I would email or call the consulate for latest information. Hopefully others will post and you may be able to find with a search here or on Google - but always a good idea to call and be prepared with latest requirements.

If you have the multi entry it will be once per year (up to 15 months if exit/enter just befor it expires) - if single entry it would be every 3 months.

OK, I am so close to having an understanding of all this.

So what you are saying is that I can apply for this O visa (which i previously thought was same same as married) and I have what I need for now. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

So next question and maybe the last and I will leave you guys alone - what is a married visa? What are the requirements and benefits of that?

For the benefit of others reading all this I have also noticed that if I was short and time and money and wanted to put this 1 year multi entry off for a little longer - it appears that a 90 day single entry from Laos would also be quite possible and put me in good stead or the time being.

Thanks

Paul

Hiya Visa Mods ( Gods for what you provide for us all. )

Apologies in advance if there is a specific thread re.... the following scenario.

My mate has just arrived with a 60 day visa and wonders if / how the 90 days max will effect him please ?

As Paul mentioned getting a 60 day one and this thread is about Ventiane i thought i may be o.k. and on topic.

( I,ve said he may have to leave the country if he wants to stay for longer than 90 days. )

e.g.

The 60 days he got in the U.K and then a possible 30 day ext. here at Udon / Nong Khai. ( i think ? )

Arrived on the 29-12-06, just before the chaos started by the way, lucky bugger.

Can he possibly get any more time on top of this and if so what,s the possible max amount.

Thanks on his behalf and also from myself of course for any information i can pass on to him.

marshbags :o

Soory to be a pain gentlemen but the guy asked me again today and i couldn,t give him a positive answer.

He thinks he can have 60 days and then 3 x 30 days, going on what others have told him.

I said i think it,s wrong but hopefully your wise and experienced knowledge will enable me to advise him accordingly.

Thanks again as i appreciate how busy you are, especially when we are posting similar repeated questions as most of us do from time to time.

marshbags :D:D:D

Tourist visa allows 60 + 30 day extension (1,900 baht) and then entry without visa could be used up to 90 days by all indications. I would recommend using the 30 day extension just to be safer and have more options.

Just as a quick reply

the 60 day visa can be extended by 30 days at immigration thus turning it into a 90 day visa. then there comes the 3x30 day visa runs.

note no more than 90 days out of 180 days may be stayed within the Kingdom on visa on arrival 30day visas.

that's pretty screwed up how they just decided to close 20 minutes early while there were people in line, how RUDE

The British Embassy BKK did that to me about three weeks ago closed ten minutes before published lunch time :o

Edited by mgc

I got my Non-O (I am 44) by sending my passport to Washington along with a copy of a house lease for a year. Send 2 day air to and from, I had my visa in 4 days. I think sometimes people make things harder than they need to be - sometimes less is more.

I later got married within a month of arriving (certificate marrage - not buddhist ceremony), got my wife pregnant, and with those two items sailed through the process for a 1 year extension. Make a Thai baby and the skids are greased.

Edited by yankee-expat

Tourist visa allows 60 + 30 day extension (1,900 baht) and then entry without visa could be used up to 90 days by all indications. I would recommend using the 30 day extension just to be safer and have more options.

Much appreciated Lopburi and also to MGC for providing the relevant information.

Thanks to you both from my friend who will be very pleased with the news. :o

marshbags :D:D:D