Thai children potentially dying from carcinogenic fumes.

up2you2

Not far from where I live there is a fairly large camp of Burmese workers.
Every night after about 8.00P they burn a large amount of plastic bags, and depending on the wind this carcinogenic pollution blows towards my home.
Putting aside the inconvenience I face, between me and the camp there is a street where all the young Thai children are playing outside, and breathing in these noxious fumes.

On many occasions I have contacted the authorities, and surprisingly they have all been concerned, and stopped this practice.
But needless to say it isn't long before all this plastic is once more being burnt.

Now I have been racking my brain, as to how I can stop this for once and for all.
A tall order yes indeed, so I would be most interested to hear in those that might offer some constructive ideas and advise.
For those that suggest I move, yes that is an option, but of course I would leave behind all these kids that could potentially end up dying of cancer.

One approach I have thought of, is whether or not it might be possible for someone to take out some kind of injunction on the owner of the land, that these Burmese presently currently occupy.
To hold the actual land owner responsible, that he personally had to enforce that his tenants did not carry on constantly burning plastic.

So does anybody know just how such measures could be enacted in practice, how long they might take, and what might the cost be of this litigation?

A couple time a year, some itinerant vendors set up shop under the expressway near Ratchapruek Road in Talat Phlu. At the end of each day, they burn all their plastic under the roadway. Not only are the fumes toxic but easily can get out of hand and cause a major fire. They typically spend about a week there until some other local sellers drop a dime on them and they are forced to move on but not because of the burning...only because they are selling without the local head man's blessing.

10 hours ago, up2you2 said:

One approach I have thought of,

is to offer to buy clean waste plastic bags from them. They won't burn them if there is a monetary incentive? You in turn can sell then to the local picker who comes around every now and again. Once the local picker gets involved he/she will cut you out of the deal and voila!

Or you can simply put them in your bin which I assume is emptied because you pay the local authority to do so?

Edited by VocalNeal

Go to your local Tessaban (Municipality) and complain to the Public Health official. If they are not up to your standards you can also go and complain to the Amphoe (District Office). They may love the fact they get to kick Burmese around.

If both are useless you can take them to what Thai call Soon Dham Rong Tham (Management Cockpit I think it is in English), which is a tribunal run by military personal and lawyers to free up court time. Local authorities are generally pretty scared of this place, so tell them if they do not put an end to this I will take you here.

Basically, what will happen is they local authorities will need to show the military they have done everything they legally can to stop the matter. If they cannot show they have done this they will get into trouble. Either way, the tribunal will put in place a course of action to stop the event if they deem it as a problem - will probably involve daily fines. It is a lot of work for local authorities to fine people so generally they will just threaten, rather than fine. As the Mayor needs to sign it off, then the police need to be contacted to issue the fine. 

The tribunal place is usually located in the city hall/Governor's office building. Simple nuisance cases like noise on weekends are even taken here if municipality staff haven't put an end to it, so I very much doubt this process can fail this particular case. The whole process is free as it was a military government initiative to help the poor deal with nuisance cases who cant afford lawyers. 

They do cases by queue, usually picking the hardest/most dangerous first. Shouldn't take all that long though, obviously depending on the size of the city. A case I know of was 5-10 days after the initial report. 

Edited by wildewillie89

9 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Go to your local Tessaban (Municipality) and complain to the Public Health official. If they are not up to your standards you can also go and complain to the Amphoe (District Office). They may love the fact they get to kick Burmese around.

If both are useless you can take them to what Thai call Soon Dham Rong Tham (Management Cockpit I think it is in English), which is a tribunal run by military personal and lawyers to free up court time. Local authorities are generally pretty scared of this place, so tell them if they do not put an end to this I will take you here.

Basically, what will happen is they local authorities will need to show the military they have done everything they legally can to stop the matter. If they cannot show they have done this they will get into trouble. Either way, the tribunal will put in place a course of action to stop the event if they deem it as a problem - will probably involve daily fines. It is a lot of work for local authorities to fine people so generally they will just threaten, rather than fine. As the Mayor needs to sign it off, then the police need to be contacted to issue the fine. 

The tribunal place is usually located in the city hall/Governor's office building. Simple nuisance cases like noise on weekends are even taken here if municipality staff haven't put an end to it, so I very much doubt this process can fail this particular case. The whole process is free as it was a military government initiative to help the poor deal with nuisance cases who cant afford lawyers. 

They do cases by queue, usually picking the hardest/most dangerous first. Shouldn't take all that long though, obviously depending on the size of the city. A case I know of was 5-10 days after the initial report. 

Now this is good what you have written here - thank you.

Your first two paragraphs have been complied with on numerous occasions.

The tribunal sounds what I am looking for, I wonder if anyone knows it's Thai name please?

22 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Now this is good what you have written here - thank you.

Your first two paragraphs have been complied with on numerous occasions.

The tribunal sounds what I am looking for, I wonder if anyone knows it's Thai name please?

Soon Dham Rong Tham...It says it in the post lol

ศูนย์ดำรงธรรม
Edited by wildewillie89