Breaking Boundaries The Growing Influence Of Women In Sailing In Thailand

snoop1130

Breaking Boundaries The Growing Influence Of Women In Sailing In Thailand

by Duncan Worthington

Farrgo-Express_h.jpg

Most sports around the world are segregated by sex. There are women’s teams and men’s teams, women’s competitions and men’s competitions. Never the twain shall meet appears to be the unwritten rule in sports, however, that’s not true for all sports and in the case of sailing, it is a sport where men and women can compete equally.

In Phuket a group of ladies are breaking boundaries in this male-dominated sport and leading by example. From varied backgrounds, and of different nationalities, these ladies have created an all-female sailing team that goes by the name “Farrgo Ladies” and more are treading new ground holding important positions in yacht charter, race management and regatta ownership. Duncan talks to these inspiring women who are breaking the mould, empowering themselves and others, and redefining Phuket (and Thailand’s) sailing scene.

Kanyarat Jones Owner, Cape Panwa Hotel Phuket Raceweek Tell us how you came to own Cape Panwa Hotel Phuket Raceweek? I am the Managing Director of a media and broadcast company in Phuket called Phuket FM Radio, and that company has been involved in some form or other in a number of Phuket-based events. I believe Phuket truly is a water sports destination and the radio’s plan is to own and organise niche events that fit the overall strategic plan. Phuket Raceweek is an established and very well run event and was 10 years old when the opportunity came along to purchase it in 2012. Since then I and the rest of the team have worked hard promoting the event both in Thailand and overseas, and in 2016 we achieved the largest entry on record of both boats and overseas participants.

As a female regatta owner, what have been the challenges? Understanding completely the needs of the participants, meeting and getting to know over 500 new friends whilst developing the social and online presence of the event to facilitate smooth and efficient boat registration and accommodation booking. All this has been accomplished while continuing to promote Phuket, Phuket Raceweek and the fantastic beachside location at Cape Panwa Hotel to potential participants and their families. Sailing is a male-dominated sport, being one of very few females involved in the sport what is the secret to your success? Having plenty of men around me to do whatever is needed to get done.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/lifestyle/breaking-boundaries-growing-influence-women-sailing-thailand/

expat-life.png
-- © Copyright Expat Life In Thailand 2017-9-5

Archived