Britain could still reverse Brexit, former minister Heseltine says

webfact

6 minutes ago, adammike said:

Angela Merkel said last week that Turkey will never be a member of the EU as long as the present dictator is in charge.just so you know Turkey does want to join the EU (applied over 30 years ago) but has never been close to even having the application debated, Let's be clear the brexiters scare tactics that there was 60,000,000 Turks waiting to flood into the EU was another of their lies. The EU has transformed the lives of millions of the poorest people in Europe,  and countries still want to join and even take the Euro as there currency, the EU has learned and the criteria for joining the euro are strict,the "pigs" would probably not have the Euro now.

Wasn't the idea of Turkey joining the EU originally UK's idea?

Now that we are getting rid of the previously intelligent and reasonable folks who have English as their mother language, we'll be able to do so serious changes to our policies in EU. 

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, sawadee1947 said:

Yeah but you can see how many dumb people are here on this blog. And they act like that because they will not feel the coming growing poverty in UK. They are here. The good thing: this generation will die soon and will make way for the re-entry in EU

Apart from Sterling being talked down by the BOE and the remain camp, the UK economy is performing very well and all predictions act it will continue to do so. The dumb people that are here are the ones that made the UK a better place, no zero hour contracts 40 years ago, closed shops, fighting for holiday pay etc. Wage suppression due to unlimited cheap labour has caused so vast poverty in communities not to mention families waiting weeks for Drs appointments and having to travel miles to get a school place. It a sensitive subject but living in a democracy means accepting the will of the majority which most of the remain camp just cant seem to do.

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Apart from Sterling being talked down by the BOE and the remain camp, the UK economy is performing very well and all predictions act it will continue to do so. The dumb people that are here are the ones that made the UK a better place, no zero hour contracts 40 years ago, closed shops, fighting for holiday pay etc. Wage suppression due to unlimited cheap labour has caused so vast poverty in communities not to mention families waiting weeks for Drs appointments and having to travel miles to get a school place. It a sensitive subject but living in a democracy means accepting the will of the majority which most of the remain camp just cant seem to do.

The UK economy is NOT doing very well. Why are exports not rocketing off the back of a 15% devaluation?

The BoE limited the crash of Sterling by using several measures such as QE. They did not contribute to the crash

Where do you get your information?

Finally, we have s representative democracy. You may care to find out what that means!

Edited by Grouse

9 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I see. You live in the past.....But EU is future

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

The UK economy is NOT doing very well. Why are exports not rocketing off the back of a 15% devaluation?

The BoE limited the crash of Sterling by using several measures such as QE. They did not contribute to the crash

Where do you get your information?

I think he wish!!!!!! Of course ALL figures are showing a downturn already. Wait how it will be evident in 2019, starting next year when the banks will move to Germany or France

Just now, sawadee1947 said:

I think he wish!!!!!! Of course ALL figures are showing a downturn already. Wait how it will be evident in 2019, starting next year when the banks will move to Germany or France

Depending if you care to read the Guardian or Independent will of course sway your views.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/827925/Brexit-news-UK-exports-trade-EU-European-Union-deal-Liam-Fox

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/827235/Brexit-news-ONS-figures-show-Britain-services-exports-growing-faster-outside-EU

32 minutes ago, baansgr said:

SHHH,doesn`t fit the agenda.

54 minutes ago, CantSpell said:

Just make another referendum: don't give us another "the people voice" excuse, everybody is entitled to change it's mind and 2 years have gone already...

I also had the feeling that many lies were fed to UK citizen before the first referendum and most of the country was surprised by the result....

Would love the see the result of a second one....

A quick scan of the voting statistics tell me that 38% of registered voters voted for Brexit, 35% voted for remain and 27% were no shows.

My interpretation of that is that a minority of voters were hoodwinked by Nigel, Boris and the likes, a smaller minority saw common sense And good too many, who should have got off their butts, didn't! I suspect that many of them thought 'It couldn't possibly happen, so I'll not bother'. But it did!

I agree, if another referendum were called now, there would be a massive rush to the polling stations to get this calamitous decision reversed.

But, have those up there got the courage to admit that Cameron made a huge blunder?

1 hour ago, dundee48 said:

Any rich countries in that list,didn`t think so.More begging bowls coming.

No but the poorer EU countries will get richer,schools get better same for hospitals and roads the whole infrastructure improves, tourists arrive.the only thing that's going to improve for the UK will be tourism due to the devaluing of the £.The EU does support developing countries such as Wales with cultural,sport and local community facilities as well as infrastructure as they do on a global scale it's called "aid".

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

A quick scan of the voting statistics tell me that 38% of registered voters voted for Brexit, 35% voted for remain and 27% were no shows.

My interpretation of that is that a minority of voters were hoodwinked by Nigel, Boris and the likes, a smaller minority saw common sense And good too many, who should have got off their butts, didn't! I suspect that many of them thought 'It couldn't possibly happen, so I'll not bother'. But it did!

I agree, if another referendum were called now, there would be a massive rush to the polling stations to get this calamitous decision reversed.

But, have those up there got the courage to admit that Cameron made a huge blunder?

Or 62% did not vote for Brexit 

35 minutes ago, adammike said:

Or 62% did not vote for Brexit 

Or 65% did not vote to remain. Can you seriously suggest unless there is a 100% turnout of voters, any referendum or general/bi election result is invalid

Edited by baansgr

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

I think our EU is pretty happy for UK leaving our union. 

UK used to be the little brother of USA, which hindered the development of the EU.

UK also used to be the balancing power against Germany. 

Now we'll see what is the true potential of Europe. 

That's a great thought.

Yeah but you can see how many dumb people are here on this blog. And they act like that because they will not feel the coming growing poverty in UK. They are here. The good thing: this generation will die soon and will make way for the re-entry in EU

It can't come soon enough. British youth have been betrayed by this selfish and short-sighted decision.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

53 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Or 65% did not vote to remain. Can you seriously suggest unless there is a 100% turnout of voters, any referendum or general/bi election result is invalid

Well, no you can't. Because that how democracy works.

However, in a general election, once the parties are over, they get down to business.

But this Brexit is turning out to be such a divisive issue that a collective 'think again' could well be on the cards. I'm not saying it will, but I for one would like to see it happen.

31 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It can't come soon enough. British youth have been betrayed by this selfish and short-sighted decision.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

British youth being under 18s, under 30s?

How exactly have they been betrayed? Brexit has been debated for 2 years.so would be beneficial to this thread if you could list 5 bullit points on the betrayal the British youth can expext in the coming years

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

What a stupid article.

1.The UK is currently still in the EU.

The numbers are from 2016.

The exporting uk companies can currently buy all construction components customs and barrier

free from all eu countrys, import into the uk, assemble and sell to the non eu countrys abroad.

2. The eu does not prohibit the uk at any time from exporting its products to non-EU countries (exception: weapons deliveries in war zones).

On the contrary. The eu helps with promotion programs, research aids and technological data exchange to promote the export power to non eu countrys.

3. Bad article also, since no word about the imports and the net saldo. This is as a doctor comes to a patient without arms and legs, looking in his healthy eyes, with the result: You are the flowering life.

4.Sorry, but the information supply for pro brexiteers is really scary here.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Of course he can. The intellectual dishonesty of remainers is legendary.

Anyway, it shows just how desperate Project Fear is that it puts forward people like Britain's most unpopular man, Blair, and this berk, who campaigned to take us into the Euro (that should be enough for him to never again be taken seriously on Europe alone).

With all this talk. What makes Brits think that EU member countries wishes Britain to be back in EU?

Once Britain is out, EU can move forward and become further integrated. We'll become a country like USA is. Britain used to be our 'Texas' or 'Mexico' and now when it's out, we are more united than we were before. 

I'm hoping the best for independent Britain. 

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

And please explain how the EU will suddenly make British people wealthy?

I feel sorry for you regarding your aspiration because if UK does go back in as you say don't forget in the future when the EU bureaucrats tell you to jump your reply to them should be how high?:cheesy:

2 minutes ago, midas said:

And please explain how the EU will suddenly make British people wealthy?

I feel sorry for you regarding your aspiration because if UK does go back in as you say don't forget in the future when the EU bureaucrats tell you to jump your reply to them should be how high?:cheesy:

People make themselves wealthy. Smart people make smart choices. Brits make their own choices. 

At the end of the day, we all are happy for the choices we and our neighbours made. 

5 hours ago, oilinki said:

This could be interesting. 

Right now, pretty much all EU countries see Britain as Trumplandia.  One of us, who we lost for good. 

If UK wishes to revert it's policy, and become an EU state again, it must do some serious damage management towards EU. Simple 'Sorry', will not do it. 

Wrong. The UK can legally rescind the Article 50 notice and remain. May not be to everyone else's liking, but that's how it is. Certain powerful and influential figures in the EU have already stated that they'd be very happy of that happened.

It is currently still and EU state btw.

16 minutes ago, oilinki said:

People make themselves wealthy. Smart people make smart choices. Brits make their own choices. 

At the end of the day, we all are happy for the choices we and our neighbours made. 

I would have thought smart people would be able to recognise the difference between being governed by people who can be elected out of office if they don't  serve the people's interests as opposed to being permanently under the thumb of an

unelected gargantuan body?:giggle:

25 minutes ago, oilinki said:

With all this talk. What makes Brits think that EU member countries wishes Britain to be back in EU?

Once Britain is out, EU can move forward and become further integrated. We'll become a country like USA is. Britain used to be our 'Texas' or 'Mexico' and now when it's out, we are more united than we were before. 

I'm hoping the best for independent Britain. 

Whether they want it or not, and most do because they want the money from the second largest net contributor, a counter balance to Germany's centalized bureaucratic dominance, and don't want to see cracks, there is no current legislation within the EU that would allow them to prevent Britain rescinding Article 50.

How do you know that all the citizens of the EU wish for a federal super EU state? The former French foreign minister suggested a referendum throughout all the EU to determine the wishes of the people. He was quickly silenced and no one took up his idea!

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Wrong. The UK can legally rescind the Article 50 notice and remain. May not be to everyone else's liking, but that's how it is. Certain powerful and influential figures in the EU have already stated that they'd be very happy of that happened.

It is currently still and EU state btw.

Are you sure? As Ruskie?

I thought once the article 50 has started, it can't be stopped, unless all the EU members states agrees to stop it. I would influence my own country to get some serious benefits, to allow UK to stay with EU.

Once they push the button, one is out. 

For the rest of us, life goes on. 

9 minutes ago, midas said:

I would have thought smart people would be able to recognise the difference between being governed by people who can be elected out of office if they don't  serve the people's interests as opposed to being permanently under the thumb of an

unelected gargantuan body?:giggle:

Yeah.. really own and elected people that is..giggling with you.. 

Russia: None

EU: All
UK: nobody cares

Just now, oilinki said:

Are you sure? As Ruskie?

I thought once the article 50 has started, it can't be stopped, unless all the EU members states agrees to stop it. I would influence my own country to get some serious benefits, to allow UK to stay with EU.

Once they push the button, one is out. 

For the rest of us, life goes on. 

No.

The 2 year negotiation period cannot be extended unless all member states agree to the extension. Any divorce/new relationship deal has to be agreed by all member states. But the legislation doesn't contain anything that prevents a state triggering Article 50 and then withdrawing it. 

The UK is still currently a full EU member.

The UK Constitutional Law Association, chaired and edited by 2 senior law professors, has some good articles on this from both British and other European lawyers. The majority I've read, and a very big majority, support that a state, in this case the UK could withdraw it's Article 50. It might well leave a very bad taste and a lot of uncomfortable politicians, and not just in the UK, but that's how it is.

Merkel, Macron and Juncke have all made it clear they back the UK staying. I believe Merkel and Juncke also see that if Britain decided to stay it would likely result in more integration than before. Which they'd welcome.